PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid Back-Up Rod

PlugROCKSTAR
09-27-2006, 08:21 PM
I've been looking into getting another Rod to bring to Pyramid. (1) Piece preferably and 7'6" or 7'9" in lenght. I would like to match thesame St Croix Elite i have now but i can't find a dealer here in Sac. Browsed at Fisherman's Warehouse today and found a Lamiglas Kokanee Tournament Series in 7'9" but (2) piece and it's rated at 4-8lbs. I may get it, i liked the rod.

Will it be too light for Pyramid?

drstressor
09-27-2006, 08:34 PM
No. They are just trout you know. ;)

If you break you rod or line, your drag is too tight. Light kokanee outfits are fine for spoons or plugs up to 4".

Bring an 8'6" salmon/steelhead or light action downrigger rod for pulling your big wood.

SuperDave
09-27-2006, 08:36 PM
Sonny's Electric is the Sacramento authorized dealer for St. Croix.

PlugROCKSTAR
09-28-2006, 05:11 AM
No. They are just trout you know. ;)

If you break you rod or line, your drag is too tight. Light kokanee outfits are fine for spoons or plugs up to 4".

Bring an 8'6" salmon/steelhead or light action downrigger rod for pulling your big wood.

Thanks Doc. Now i have to go and see if i have a light action Steelhead Rod. :-/

PlugROCKSTAR
09-28-2006, 06:54 AM
Sonny's Electric is the Sacramento authorized dealer for St. Croix.

I can't find it anywhere Dave. Where is it located? thanks

SuperDave
09-28-2006, 07:04 AM
Sunny's Electric Marine
1500 El Camino Ave Ste C
Sacramento, CA 95815
916 487-3868

Give them a call first. They used to be listed on the St. Croix website but I didn't see their name there now.

PlugROCKSTAR
09-28-2006, 07:08 AM
Sunny's Electric Marine
1500 El Camino Ave Ste C
Sacramento, CA 95815
916 487-3868

Give them a call first. They used to be listed on the St. Croix website but I didn't see their name there now.

Thanks Dave. I'll have to go take a look see and hope to come out with a new rod ::)

Mr_Ed
09-28-2006, 08:56 AM
I agree with Doc;

Some times for a kick in the pants, I use my "ulta lite" and

4 lb *test ( mono )*with super small jigs & spoons.................

As long as the "outfit" has enough back bone to place a hook"firmly"

into their jaw, you will be good to go !! *;)

The only problem with these outfits is, "lack of control" on the big fish,

even though I get more hook ups...............It does take a long time
to get the 10 pound *boys & girls in.

PS *Quality line & knots are a MUST !!

Mickey_Thomas
09-28-2006, 09:05 AM
I use my Vances 7'6" rod all the time, works great, if I pull heavy plugs I use the Vances 8' rod that I use for Salmon, it's a bit much for the Cutts though 8-)

metalmouth
09-28-2006, 09:10 AM
I've been looking into getting another Rod to bring to Pyramid. *(1) Piece preferably and 7'6" or 7'9" in Length. *I would like to match the same St Croix Elite i have now but i can't find a dealer here in Sac. *Browsed at Fisherman's Warehouse today and found a Lamiglass Kokanee Tournament Series in 7'9" but (2) piece and it's rated at 4-8lbs. *I may get it, i liked the rod.

Will it be too light for Pyramid?

Now I know why Doc had me put that prop guard on my kicker. He wanted to protect guys with short rods! ;D If you don't find the rod you are looking for I'll toss in a couple of extra 9' G-Loomis rods. I have them in light for Kokes, Med. light for larger trout and Med. for jigging Mac's. They work well on the longer extended booms on the DR's.

fishdude76
09-28-2006, 09:15 AM
Ed's right about the quality line. I learned that the hard way. I was using Vanish Flouro, but now I use P-Line abbrasive resistant Flouro. The P-line reduces a lot of the knicks in your line from release clips and the tuffa rock out there. I use this P-line for my koke and trout outfits.

I have a steelhead rod that I think is 8'6 something like 10-15lbs for throwing some wood ;) I figured I'd bring it out to swim some wood.

SuperDave
09-28-2006, 09:26 AM
My 8 lb'er was caught on a 7' koke rod and what a rush it was. The "control" issue mentioned by Mr_Ed was tension at the boat. The fish kept wanting to head for the prop and under the boat. Good thing these Cutt's are generally lazy fish when caught trolling.

Reno_Hookers
09-28-2006, 12:37 PM
Truckee Mountain Hardware has the best selection of Koke rod's I have found anywhere (at least until Cabela's opens next fall).

I use the 7'9" St. Croix's at Pyramid all the time. *I also use the Lamiglass GC 792 UL Tournament Kokanee rod's, rated for 1# to 4#. *They are about half the diameter of the St. Croix's.

The Gilly, up here in Reno had a super light 9'6" G. Loomis Steelhead rod that was like a 4 to 5 weight fly rod. *A little long for a "boat rod" and spendy too!!!

PlugROCKSTAR
09-28-2006, 04:53 PM
Truckee Mountain Hardware has the best selection of Koke rod's I have found anywhere (at least until Cabela's opens next fall).

I gotta give Patty a call at Mountain Hardware. I haven't spoken to her since they moved their ATM Services elsewhere.

Mr_Ed
09-28-2006, 07:16 PM
The Reno area has two great places for rods. (top of the line )

The Gilly on Rock Blvd (Sparks) and Reno Fly shop on Moana.

Don't forget the check book or plastic, since most of us don't
have a big enough wallet.

Sportsmam's Warehouse is fair............also on Moana

For people like me, thank God for Wal-mart & K-mart !! ;D ;D

TP
09-29-2006, 11:44 AM
My ugly stick works like a champ 25$ at walmart