PDA

View Full Version : Braided Lines on Spool?

Lil_Hooker
01-17-2006, 03:42 PM
I got a quick question for you guys who use braided lines. I got some power pro and a new reel. The reel has 2 spools the aluminum one and a plastic one. I was wondering if you guys had a prefernce of spools to use with braid or know of a reason why you might use over the other. Thanks in advance.

fish4fun
01-17-2006, 05:18 PM
I'd put the Power Pro on the aluminum spool. I seem to remember that braided lines create more pressure on a spool than mono and that this pressure can crack the spool.

I think this happens because it's a thinner line so when you spool up you get more coils of line around the spool. The tension of each coil adds up to the total pressure on the spool.

This has never happened to me. But I think I remember something about this when braided lines first hit the market. I was tournament bass fishing at the time and some of the reels were having trouble with the braided lines. Maybe someone else with a clearer memory than me will chime in on this.. Larry

PlugROCKSTAR
01-17-2006, 05:48 PM
braid with the aluminum. Try it on the plastic spool and find out for yourself what the difference is. ;)

Brettskih
01-17-2006, 08:27 PM
I think PENN tells you to put braided line on first as a backer because it has less pressure than mono. I Just remember reading that before.Check it out.Brett

FISHSTALKER
01-17-2006, 09:01 PM
You are all close. I'd ask first if you are going to fish Salt water or not? The Aluminum spool would corrode as opposed to the plastic.
There are two methods to eliminate the SQUEEZE and slip that braided line will put on the spool. One is to spool on a nylon backer (shock) line. or #2 wrap the spool with electritions tape. Personaly I use the tape.
Braided lines are exremely tough and slippery. When first applied to your reel the line will slip until it wrenches tight against the backer line or tape. It will act like your reel brake is slipping. Once it's set or locked your good to go.
Because there is no stretch in braids and it is a visible line, I like to add a flourocarbon line as a shock leader. I add 50' of either 8lb. or 10lb. test depending on what I'm fishing for in fresh water. The flouro is non - visable too! The reason for that length is that I tend to change out a lot of Lures so the line grows shorter after several fishing trips. ;)

Allen
01-18-2006, 06:28 AM
Good information Fishstalker.

One question about braided lines like powerpro #65 that I had spooled on my new reel. I realize one advantage, and why I went braided was to get more line on my reel, but isn't braided also supposed to be more abrasion resistant and reduce lost fish like when the razor plates on a sturgeon touch the main line?

Dad lost a big sturgeon that came to the boat and must have headed directly away from us. About 20 seconds after seeing how big he was the line went slack, and the end of the #30 mono was pretty scuffed up from I assume the sides of the big fish. We would have needed 10 feet of stainless leader to have caught that fish, I believe.

Am I wrong thinking the end of your line stands a better chance against abrasion if it is braided line than say a heavy mono leader?

Thanks

Allen

Lil_Hooker
01-18-2006, 08:41 AM
Ok thanks for all the replies exactly what I was looking for. Looks like I'll put it on my aluminum spool and use the plastic for mono. I'll be fishing mostly the delta and lakes and the ocean every now and then. I'm going to use some black electical tape as backing.

FISHSTALKER
01-18-2006, 10:04 PM
Allen -
The current super braids found their big market in Bass fishing. The Bass pros found the tough strength, abrasive resistance of the line was great for pulling the big fish out of underwater trees, rocks and vegitation.
You are right in that you can place a higher weight rated line of a thinner diameter on your reel. This also has the advantage of adding more yardage.
Because the line does not stretch a good clutch system on your reel is imparitive. Most anglers will add a leader. The reasons are, if you get hung up or snagged in the rocks, you want to be able to break free with out losing a lot of expensive line. Also some fish will roll up on your line when they surface. The mono won't cut through them like a Braided line will. Mono will stretch too. So a small length is good for a shock absorber helping to prevent ripped lips.
Hope this helps.
Dale

Allen
01-19-2006, 06:16 AM
Thanks Dale, good information.

When I first read your reply I thought it said 50 inches of mono tippet, but it says 50 feet? If I read that right this means when your bait is out waiting for a fish you actually have mono all the way to the reel....thereby the advantage of the no-stretch braided isn't available to sense light nibbles and fast hooksets, the major advantage Power pro proclaims.

Not trying to nitpick, just trying to understand how you fish. I enjoy the braided for the smaller diameter and it seems to cast better and I have less birdnests, but I am not good enough to claim it is easier to see fish nibbles...lol.

Last weekend I had one pole with 65# powerpro, and 2 rods with Monofilament. I did all the casting for my daughter and son in law, and had a few oops on the mono reels being used to the braided's ease of casting.

Thanks again for the information. Everyone has a preference, and everyone learns from others opinions, imho.... And personal experiences...lol

Allen

FISHSTALKER
01-19-2006, 06:34 AM
Allen - All of my fishing the past several years has been trolling in fresh water. Ergo I normally have 200 to 300 feet of line out surface trolling or 75 to 100 feet out on my Downriggers.
If I was Sturgeon fishing with bait I would be using a much shorter but heavier leader.

Allen
01-19-2006, 12:55 PM
Thanks Dale.

You mean there is other fishing besides the Delta with bait?

LOL

I'll have to try that trolling thing someday.

Allen

Fishbutt21
01-19-2006, 05:19 PM
I fish braid on almost all my rods,my 100lb tuna rod has 660yd of braid for those long runs away from the boat and 200yd top shot of mono that gets all the work. My sturgeon rod has 35lb braid all the way down to the snap swivel and no mono at all on the reel.the only fish I have lost was on the 80lb mono tuna fishing