PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning out the freezer.

Ictalurus
03-07-2010, 03:37 AM
I found fish in my freezer dated a year ago. Some are in ziploc and some in vacuum sealed bags.

Generally, how long do you guys give fish in freezer before it starts to go bad?

hereduckyducky
03-07-2010, 04:00 AM
Fish that is well vacuum-packed can last for a couple of years (though mine rarely make it through to the next season due to friends and family who love to eat it). Check the fish for freezer burn...

RW

OYD
03-07-2010, 05:25 AM
A couple of weeks ago my wife found some in the freezer that were 2 years old. They cooked up fine.

SaxMan
03-07-2010, 02:56 PM
Ditto ... vacuum-seal is the way to go ... had some trout from two years ago .. they cooked up fine ... sax

cptdarel
03-08-2010, 04:36 AM
depends on the fish your freezing, some fish freeze very well, while others won't freeze at all, for example, to a commercial fisherman Albacore brings a higher price to the boat while fresh bring a lesser price. where as a fish buyer won't buy Blue cod even fresh, as the shelf life is ever so short, I have vac packed blues before, after one month it smells like a dirty sock. if it smells ok, then it's mostly ok to eat, but remember the motto "when in doubt, throw it out"

Ictalurus
03-08-2010, 09:21 AM
Thanks all for the info. I'll throw out everything older than 2 years, especially the salmon from 2002.

I'm going to keep better count on my inventory, and release fish I already have too much of.

delta916
03-10-2010, 07:26 PM
What a waste. You shouldn't keep fish for two years in your freezer and then throw them out. Maybe just C&R for a while.