PDA

View Full Version : San Mateo Sportsman show

Pongo
01-14-2010, 10:25 AM
After looking at the exhibitor list, I have decided to pass on the show this year. For those of you who attended, did I miss anything?

lq9hd
01-15-2010, 02:52 AM
Overpriced beef jerkey and funnel cake :D

trouter
01-15-2010, 05:55 AM
I went to the show yesterday.* I have to be honest and say the exhibition portion was very disappointing.* I wouldn't be surprised if ISE does not return to San Mateo next year.*

They took the hunting exhibitors and moved them in with the fishing and flyfishing halls and even then the fishing hall was not full.

The only upside to the show was the seminars, the ones I attended were worth the price of admission.

With that said, I am looking forward to Sacramento so I can look at some boats, gear, lodges, etc...

Pongo
01-15-2010, 08:26 AM
I talked to some very unhappy exhibitors last year. You know there is a problem when Hi's Tackle Box ended a 30 year tenure with them. Also, Cayote Bait and Tackle was not there.

Yaker
01-15-2010, 08:40 AM
Those are two 300 lbs gorillas. For them not to show up is significant.

bub1931
01-15-2010, 11:28 AM
Went to the show today and all I have to say is WOW

Thats place was empty. The main build was maybe half full of exhibitors. The Fly Fishing building was MAYBE half full as well.

It made me kind of sad, because I really look forward to this show. Spending the day with my father and uncle. Dreaming of different fishing location, looking fishing boats, window shopping for new gear.

I mainly go to the San mateo show because (A) its closere to me the the Sac Show. and (B) I like looking at fishing stuff and the seminars.

Hi's Tackle has been at this show for years but not this year.

If the show comes back next year I will be amazed.

Yaker
01-15-2010, 11:59 AM
Very sad indeed. I hope the Sacramento show has a better turn out. This economy makes things tough all over.

fishyhead
01-15-2010, 02:56 PM
Please save your money and time. As a sports enthusiast, I am sad to see this show decay to this level. With the Hall show gone, along with the Pleasanton Boat Show, it was the only game in town. Its obviously on Life Support, as the economy has left it a shell of its former self. There was a lot of empty booth space even though it was reduced to only two buildings. I kept asking myself "Did I miss something, this can't be all there is"
Do yourself a favor and skip this one, you won't have missed much. :'(

mojo209
01-16-2010, 01:53 AM
Hopefully the sacramento show will be better cause it'll be my first time going to these type of expos

ric1ric
01-16-2010, 02:07 AM
If you want these shows to contiue you must go and spend some money. If you just stay home they can not survive. Support is what it takes for them to get better and be more sucsessful

Yaker
01-16-2010, 05:19 AM
If you want these shows to contiue you must go and spend some money.
Yaker will be doing his part to stimulate the sport fishing economy! I might even provide support to the guy selling the $9 hot dogs and $5 beer ;)

Pongo
01-16-2010, 05:50 AM
If the sport show owners want to keep it going, they might have to lower the prices on the floor space as well. I understand it pretty expensive and you have to sell a lot of merchandise or book trips in order to make it worthwhile to exhibit.

c-swirl-sean
01-16-2010, 01:07 PM
One word....the show sucked. Save your $15.
It's a shame to see this show continue, the vendors seemed beat up and unenthusiastic about being present. There was literally 5 real fishing boats, mostly wakeboard boats? The economy has everyone down and unfortunately companies cut show attendance in times like this. Daiwa and Seps(very small booth)were the only reputable company present. No Lowrance, Raymarine or Shimano.

Bummer, at least I got a free beer at the end of the night from the beer booth as they were closing the beer lines.

joez3
01-17-2010, 09:28 AM
Does anyone know how the ISE show did in Denver? I thought this was the 1st year the Denver show was done before San Mateo. If they were in Denver maybe some of the out of state vendors didn't want to make the drive to San Mateo, then turn around and go to Sac. If your a small operation can you really take a month off just to do shows? Maybe the ISE people can charge less to the vendors if they do more then one show. Also I think most poeple in the bay area would rather spend $5-700 on cruise then $1500+ for a fishing trip.
As for not that many boats at the show, I think thats because owning a boat in the bay area is getting to be too much of a pain. Most of the newer homes around here just don't have the room to store a boat or RV.
I was disapoited that Fishermans werehouse was the only tackel shop. On top of that I didn't see anything new at the show, thats one of the reasons I like to go to these shows.
I did enjoy the seminars and wish they sync the times between the talks. It seamed like the topics I wanted to attend over lap eachother by 30 mins.

fishguts
01-18-2010, 05:13 PM
I think the San Mateo show has been on the down hill for quite some time. I have a friend who was a guide in Oregon and he stopped going to it and went just to Sacramento. Cost and foot traffic was the issue. I went to it a few years ago because I had free tickets. We were in and out in about an hour. I don't go every year, there just isn't a whole lot of new stuff I have to have. There was a time when you could pick up some freebies at the booths but not any longer for many years. The seminars sound the same every time and so do the jokes. I can put some gas in the boat and buy a lot of tackle from the cost it takes to go up there and pay to get in. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy the Sacramento show every few years because its' fun and I do reconnect with a few vendors I've gotten to know over the years so that's fun to. And we should support them when we can. And it's where I bought my boat at.