PDA

View Full Version : Delta Smelt

CrappieJed
12-12-2009, 08:30 AM
I guess I should go back and read some of Dan's issues on this matter and educate myself, but--I really dont know what to think. Are we as fisherman suppose to side with those who are trying to save a fish I have never seen or do we side with those who want more water for the west side of Fresno. Hanity was out here and made good points. I guess in a nut shell who do we side with? you can read and watch reports and it gets confussing. Its easy to get in arguments over this issue and I just like to hear from the fisherman so to give me some amo.

Cal, I just finished your book--job well done sir! I will be using some of your tips for sure, cant wait for the DVD.

CJ

hotdog
12-12-2009, 02:52 PM
I, for one, don't like to hang my hat on the delta smelt as being the "end all" argument for these water issues. The upside to pointing out the delta smelt collapse is the pause that's taking place before we continue down to same insane path. We have a finite amount of water in the North state and there is a huge negative impact in sending more and more water out of the delta. There is no doubt that millions (and likely billions) of smelt have been destroyed due to poor pumping practices, but that's just one of many species that are dwindling. This is also a sign of a (delta) food chain that is in real trouble. The fastest way back to health is to stop the pumping and clean up the treated water from sewage plants, etc. that are raising the ammonia levels.

I'm not in the camp of the folks who think we can remove all of the dams and end 100% of the water diversions in the state. Dams save lives and cheap water for growing food keeps our food costs down and makes our food more plentiful. The heartburn comes with sending cheap water down South for residential use for people who want to live in a near desert enviroment.

CrappieJed
12-13-2009, 07:32 AM
agree with the desert living hotdog it takes a million gallons a day to water one 18 hole golf course and not all of them are on reclaim water.

Killer_B
12-14-2009, 07:49 AM
+1 Hotdog

FishbucketII
12-14-2009, 08:09 AM
I never thought I'd agree with a meat product... but in this case I do.

BASS-O-MATIC
12-23-2009, 08:49 AM
Population control :-[. Too many fish in the bowl.

hotdog
12-24-2009, 08:15 AM
Population control . Too many fish in the bowl.

I know this is a popular sentiment but I have to disagree.
Mao, Lenin, Stalin, Marx (and the obligatory Hitler) were big on population control and I don't side with any of them on any topic.

The first thing that happens when a one child rule is put in place is selective abortions go through the roof, you see, most countries need/want sons much more than daughters. If you're cool with that, join the bandwagon... As for me, life is precious and has purpose beyond just existing.

CrappieJed
12-24-2009, 09:37 AM
UHHH?............I think everyone should believe in something.......I believe I will go Crappie fishing with a new friend!!!

BASS-O-MATIC
12-24-2009, 05:49 PM
Didn't mean it that way ;)

hotdog
12-25-2009, 01:13 AM
Didn't mean it that way

My apologies brother. I've seen "reduce the population" comments in the past and didn't respond.

I should have stayed on topic.

ReelJerks
12-30-2009, 02:27 AM
I never thought I'd agree with a meat product... but in this case I do.

[smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif]