PDA

View Full Version : Collins Lake questions

Diesel2052
07-16-2007, 09:20 PM
My family and I are going up to Collins lake this weekend and this is my first time there, anybody know about the water levels?

I am trying to choose between using my 12' aluminum or my 22 foot Cuddy Cabin boat which has a 18" draft.

How about trolling speeds up there is 3mph slow enough or should I be running slower?

I have seen pictures that they have docks there are they rented or first come first serve?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

StrokerAce
07-16-2007, 11:30 PM
Don't know about the docs. Its not a very big lake. I usually use my small Aluminum there. Try trolling the Dam and deeper areas this time of year with lead core/downriggers *at about 1.8-2.0 mph. The water is getting warm and the fish are getting more reluctant to want to chase bait. I have done the best at collins on gold or silver/blue decent size flashers with about a 24" leader trolling a red/orange double whammy wedding ring tipped with worm. Nailed em about a month ago even caught a nice brown on the backside of the lake. This time of year the name of the game is slow and low.

Sam..

cfish
07-17-2007, 09:03 AM
check collinslake.com for their weekly report. it should be updated today.

garrett_s
07-17-2007, 09:54 AM
i am pretty sure the boat slips can be reserved

fishinator
07-17-2007, 12:12 PM
I camped there a few months back an paid for a slip to keep my boat at the dock each night. ou can also dock it on shore for no charge- if you are close enough to keep an eye on your boat. Call for more info or check website.

fishinator

Diesel2052
07-18-2007, 12:46 PM
I ended up calling up there twice. The first time I spoke to a young woman who was not sure of the ramp length and suggested I bring the aluminum to be safe. I called back after my family really wanted the larger boat and this time I got an older woman who told me that the lake level is down 25 feet but there would be no problem with the big boat until they get down around 60 feet. Just an FYI for those interested.