PDA

View Full Version : What are the best hooks

Wolf74
06-10-2007, 01:27 AM
So which ones are the all around best, in durability, sharpness, cost effectivness, etc?

Trout_Terminator
06-10-2007, 01:52 AM
Hmmm, this is a really controversial subject, but i personally like Gami's, but i also like Owner hooks, both are sharp, and don't really bend or break, another hook that i like is Daiichi hooks, just as good as a gami or owner.

-TT

Chetco_Indian
06-10-2007, 06:31 AM
Vison is getting into a lot of tackle boxes in the NW and working down down the coast. :o

THUD
06-10-2007, 07:35 AM
I have the just about every major hook brand in my tackle box. Gamakatsu has always been my go-to hook. While I might play around with other brands, Gamakatsu was the one that I always ended up using. Last weekend I tried Owner Sled heads out at Folsom. They worked out perfectly. I'll probably be using Owner hooks a lot more from now on. I'm going to try out some more from their Ultrahead line soon.

http://www.ownerhooks.com/pages/products/hooks/ultraheads.htm

dimpala95
06-10-2007, 08:25 AM
I've recently discovered Matzuo. They are as sharp as Owners or Gami's but much cheaper.

vdub
06-10-2007, 09:21 AM
freshwater, i only use gamats. no freshwater fish should be able to kill a gamat, unless you are going for 50lb stripers or 50+lb flatheads

bassman07
06-10-2007, 10:22 AM
Eagles all the way! ;D

Wolf74
06-10-2007, 12:37 PM
I've almost exclusivly used eagle claw lazers simply because of the price. With the amount of tackle that I lose each season buying packs of Gami's starts to eat away at my wallet. I'm trying to find something thats more durable and sharper but that doesn't spike in price. Any suggestions?

Christopherjake
06-11-2007, 07:32 AM
The best hooks for me are the ones that come with the lures. I know a lot of you are going to say otherwise, but only 1 time have I had a hook bend from a fish and that was because I used a 1/4 oz rattletrap, underestimated the fish and didn't fight it right.

Other than that 1 time, I have never had a hook bend from a fish. Well, then again I haven't caught any huge fish either. ;)

Mr_Ed
06-11-2007, 08:16 AM
In the old days everyone used Mustad since they were cheap and did
the job. Still the old stand by in todays market,for most fishermen.

However with todays high quality hooks, I also use Owner,Gami,Tieco & Daiichi for all my fishing needs.

Most are used for flys and smaller fish, while the Owners are for all
big game fish like stripper and salmon.

Just depends on ones idea of a "GOOD HOOK" and what you want to
spend.

Wolf74
06-11-2007, 08:56 PM
Are matzuo's good? I was thinking about trying them, however I read someone's review in cabelas that said that the hooks bent out pretty easy and couldnt' really hold a strong fish.

fissssh
06-12-2007, 03:50 AM
The best hooks are the ones with a fish hanging on them. [smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif]

ol_dude
06-12-2007, 07:27 AM
I’ll comment primarily on trebles… Used to be a Gama guy as far as all round quality/value/easy to find… had a few bend and started looking around... the Diiachi’s are the sharpest out of the box… the matzuo's are nice, but poor selection and tough to find... but Owner’s are my hands down favorite… I switch out all my lure hooks to owners as soon as I get them… If there is something better... I haven't seen it yet...

dimpala95
06-12-2007, 04:04 PM
Are matzuo's good? I was thinking about trying them, however I read someone's review in cabelas that said that the hooks bent out pretty easy and couldnt' really hold a strong fish.

It depends on the hook. Most companies treat their hooks. Some are forged and others are tempered. Tempered will bend before it breaks while forged will not bend at all. Most of the high end hooks like Gami, Ownerand Matzuo are forged. They're strong but if maxed out will break instead of bending.

Mr_Ed
06-12-2007, 05:18 PM
D95;

Thats why they put a drag system on reels !! ;D ;D ;D

If you straighten out a hook you done got to "backoff" !! ;)

CraigVM62
06-12-2007, 05:33 PM
For smaller species of fish, I would think the priority would be sharp points out of the package. Growing up in Colorado where a 5 pound trout would be considered HUGE, I don't think I ever remember hearing of a hook bending out.
I now live and fish a good deal in the Pacific NW where 30# Kings, 100# Halibut and 500# Sturgeon are often targeted so bending out hooks can be an issue.
The brands that I often hear bad mouthed up here the most are Mustads and Eagle Claw. GamaKatsu seem to be a favorite of most. I myself like OWNER. Some of my friends who guide for a living state they do not like the Cutting Point style hooks, claiming the open up a channel as the hook is burried in. Allowing for the hook to get pulled out easier.

dimpala95
06-12-2007, 11:38 PM
D95;

Thats why they put a drag system on reels !! ;D ;D ;D

If you straighten out a hook you done got to "backoff" !! ;)

I totally agree. I've never bent open or broken a hook on a fish. I have bent a few hooks trying to free them from snags. ;)

chrome-addict
06-13-2007, 02:28 PM
Mustads aren't bad for the money ...they used to be standard equiptment for most of the die-hard salmon/steelhead anglers, until the intoduction of forged, chemical point hooks such as Gamakatsu and Owner. I still use the 92158's on occasion ...they're the predecessor to the modern octopus hooks. They're 2x bronze so they don't hold a point as well as some of the modern hooks, but they are easier to touch-up. They're plenty strong, yet will bend when stressed beyond their limit ...which can be a good thing, especially when fishing rocky bottoms. When you hang up, the hook will tend to bend-out and you don't leave your tackle on the river bottom, plus you don't have to deal with downtime re-rigging. I also use the 9124's which are considered the "origional" Glo Bug hook. They're also easy to touch up and are 3x strong.

Today, I mainly use Gamakatsus, Matzuo Sickle hooks, Owners, and occassionally Daichi. They all have similar characteristics, but I tend to lean towards Gamis. They've been extremely reliable for me over the years and I've had absolutely no complaints except that they don't offer a black nickel octopus ...at least not that I've been able to find.

I too have issues with Owner Cutting Point hooks ...overpriced garbage. I guess I can understand the idea behind these, but they are IMHO over-engineered. They don't hold up to rocks well and are almost impossible to touch-up due to the complexity of the hook point taper. And as Craig pointed out, the knife-like taper cuts away at the flesh, elongating the hole that the hook is holding in. This results in a lot more hooks pulling out during a fight. If you want to go with Owners, I strongly suggest using the less expensive Needle Points.

Wolf74
06-15-2007, 10:35 PM
Would you guys say that by using hooks such as Gami's and Owner you significantly increase your chances of landing a salmon? If so you increase your chances by how much?

chrome-addict
06-16-2007, 12:18 PM
I can't stress enough how vital sticky sharp hooks are when it comes to steelhead/salmon fishing, or any other kind of fishing for that matter. That being said, chemically sharpened hooks, hold a point better/longer and will definitely help increase your hook-up ratio. These hooks also have a high carbon content and are usually tempered to give them a controlled amount of flex while resisting the tendancy to bend out.

As as far as a % increase, there are too many variables involved ...type of hooks used, quality of knots & terminal tackle, what kind of issues you're having now, etc. If you don't currently have a problem with bent hooks, and you stay on top of touching up the point, then you may not appreciate the advantage of using a Gami or Owner. It all depends.