PDA

View Full Version : Salmon/Striper/Shad Runs?

starrtel
05-20-2007, 07:54 PM
I'm almost ashamed I am asking this, but does anyone know a good source that shows the different runs for Salmon, Striper and Shad? It seems to me that I should be fishing for Stripers right now and getting ready for the Kings in a couple of months. I'm looking for time frames for the American River/Sac River & Feather River/Sac River. My Mom really wants to go fishing, but I don't know the run time frames. Believe it or not... I have caught probably 50-70 salmon in the Sac over the past 10 years, but I usually head to the river when I see all the boats anchored at the mouth of the American/Sac. Thank you and my Mom also thanks you. She has a 4 hour drive so it's important I try and put her onto the fish!! Thanks... ;D"FISH ON" ;D

Seceret_hole
05-20-2007, 11:00 PM
Do a search in the archives for the particular season and species you plan to fish for and you will find a lot of useful info.
I recommend sticking to the Sac river for the upcoming salmon season though, numbers of fish on the American are on the decline. :(

starrtel
05-21-2007, 07:11 AM
I hope the water temp is lower this upcoming run. I know the water in the bay was warmer last year and I think it was the lowest number ever of Salmon coming into the bay. I'm hoping someone knows of some sort of chart that shows the different runs. Thanks...

kingcole
05-21-2007, 07:43 AM
Shad season is just heating up. It's slow so far this year but figure the end of May - middle of July. With June being your hot month on the American.

Right now the reports are showing Discovery & Freeport have shad stacking up. If they raise the flows on the American this weekend for Memorial Day weekend all the Shad guys will be very happy. A good jump in the flows should trigger a run up the American.

tdekens
05-23-2007, 07:32 AM
Starrtel, If you check out the different guide advertisers on the sniffer most of them have calenders when they fish for what and where. Look in the tab at your upper left for the one with the guides fishing reports and look for the feather/sac/american guides. I can give you an idea for colusa area for the sac and for the upper stretches of the feather.
Tightlines,
2Shakes

chrome-addict
05-23-2007, 04:37 PM
I don't know about the other rivers, but I can help you on the
American. Now these are just based on my own personal experience, and pertain to years of normal flows.

Early spring Kings start to show at the end of May and run through the end of August, peaking in June-July. The fall fish arrive late September/early October and run well into November. There is a also a very small winter run that usually shows sometime in mid December.
Stripers typically start to show in the spring and remain in the system well into the fall salmon season ...June-August seem to be prime months. There are some stripers that remain in the system year round.

Shad typically start showing up in late April/early May with better numbers arriving late May/early June, peaking out in July. Some repeat spawners will remain in the system well into August, recouping their strength before heading back to the salt. *

starrtel
05-23-2007, 04:43 PM
Thank you very much for the help. I typically know the bite is on when I see 100 boats anchored at the mouth of the Sac/American!! 8-)

Fish on and thanks again!!