PDA

View Full Version : WD-40?

kstone44
12-31-2004, 12:12 PM
I keep seeing in posts through out the boards that wd-40 is not legal for use? Am I just missing the joke ??? hear or what as it seems that every scent in every form seems to be availible for purchase even God forbid Anise Oil ;D ;D. So if its not legel let me know guys as we use to use it bass fishing years ago. Its was ok but nothing to write home to mom about. :-/

fishrman4life
12-31-2004, 03:09 PM
the thing about wd is that its a petroleum based lubricant, i dont know if it is illegal, but if it is its probably because it is poisonous to most people and animals.

SEEKER
12-31-2004, 03:47 PM
DONT GET CAUGHT USING IT SURE TO FACE A FINE. Now if you are lubing your gear...............and get some on your bait ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm well. Be safe about it and GO PRO CURE. ;D

Oxbow
12-31-2004, 06:42 PM
I don't use the stuff as I already have a number of different "scents" available to use but out of curiosity can someone cite where it says this practice is illegal? Is this a DFG thing or are we looking at some environmental law. I would think that just launching and trolling would cause more pollution than the occasional use of WD-40 on a lure, just my guess.

MB_Kevin
12-31-2004, 09:04 PM
I don't think it would be good for the water but have heard it works. I haven't tried it. I don't know why a fish would like it but who knows.

FRIDAY
12-31-2004, 09:15 PM
I heard they use whale oil to make it and that's why the fish like it. I don't know if there's any truth to that ??? I've used it, didn't work for me. I'll just stick to using it for stopping squeeks.

Not sure about this either, but I think WD-40 stands for water displacement-formula # 40

FRIDAY

2QUARTSLOW
12-31-2004, 09:16 PM
Why does a fish like WD. One of the incredients not longer listed on it is........... Sardine Oil. Sardine oil is a natural lubricant in raw form. WD was much more widely used in the late 70's and early 80's than today. After finding out it polluted water it became an offense to use it. How ever I use it on my hands, one to clean of gas and oils, and take to human scent of me when baiting up. But does it work. Id say 50/50. But I use shad/craw Bang on my baits works real good. Just my .02 of info

MB_Kevin
01-01-2005, 01:25 AM
maybe Ill try duralube it seems to work better then WD-40 on my rusted parts so maybe it will be better for fish :P

ctsron
01-01-2005, 06:52 PM
??? sardine oil? read the msds sheet (link below) that is the oldest "wives tale" there is. I know, I used to be a parts mgr. for a heavy equipment dealership and have had to dure many seminars on lubricants, oils etc...

enwww.dek.com/data/wd-40.pdf

ps.. wd40 is the WORST lubricant there is, it attracts moisture and dust, try corrosion-x

JasonB
01-01-2005, 07:07 PM
My Grandpa used to use WD40 on his elbows ???
Said it helped with his arthritis . :-/
He lived to be a 102 years old ;)

drstressor
01-01-2005, 07:15 PM
The link doesn't work, but I know what WD-40 contains. Light petroleum distillates and a polyhydroxy alcohol. No lubricants in there at all. The alcohol makes water miscible with the petroleum carrier. The carrier is is sort of like kerosene, so it's not a good idea to put it in lakes and streams. No sardine or whale oil. It is the hydrocarbons that are mild fish attractants. Commercial scents are much more effective and stay on the bait or lure longer.

JasonB
01-01-2005, 07:22 PM
I got it to come up but i had to get rid of the EN in front of the www 8)

ctsron
01-01-2005, 07:26 PM
::) sorry, I was in the process of putting to rest a BLT sandwhich

kromebrite
01-01-2005, 07:27 PM
miscible? I had to go to msn encarta for that one. ;)
sorry, I'll go back to "hijack this" 8)

Oxbow
01-01-2005, 08:30 PM
Doc, you are quite right about the petroleum distillates. *The MSDS indicates 70% aliphatic (no ring compounds) distillates, low molecular weight no doubt, >20% petroleum based oils, a little higher in molecular weight (mineral oil was mentioned) no doubt and <10% non hazardous ingredients (read - non flammable) and this is where the polyols are hidden. *The polyols are, as you described very necessary to provide the polar compounds for water miscibility so that the product will displace water. There is also a very small amount of a propietary rust inhibitor included in that <10% portion, probably similar to or the same as "VPI powder" which is commonly used in the aircraft and aerospace industries to reduce air oxidation. *There may be very small amounts of additional propietery materials but I doubt that any fish oils are used as they are expensive and cost is a major concern in all manufacturing operations. *The product is probably closer to stoddard solvent in viscosity than kerosene and may contain some portion of petroleum ether as it has a fairly high vapor pressure as evidenced by the fact that it vaporizes rather quickly. *End of dissertation, let's go fishing!

FRIDAY
01-01-2005, 08:56 PM
???my head hurts now ???

kromebrite
01-01-2005, 09:04 PM
OK, I go for years not hearing that word, and there it is twice!!
so does that mean it's bad for the water, and a poor choice as an attractant for gamefish?

kromebrite
01-01-2005, 09:07 PM
.......and you can get a ticket or some such punitive measure?

drstressor
01-01-2005, 09:27 PM
I think you can get popped for discharging a petroleum product into the water. Your engine probably puts more junk in the water than a few sprays of WD-40, but the law is the law.

Most of the guides I fish with in Alaska used to use WD-40. Now they all use commercial scents. Is it bad for the water? Yeah. Is it a poor choice as a fish attractant? Yeah.

tankgrunt
01-01-2005, 09:39 PM
Do I get college credits for reading all the way through this thread ??? Seriously though, thanks for the info Oxbow 8)

kstone44
01-02-2005, 05:44 AM
I thanks all this info. You guys now way to much stuff ::)How do you sleep at night ;D

RIVER_RAT
01-02-2005, 08:21 AM
Truly amazing, and they call us dumb fisherman :) Ya know, someone needs to know these things, I'm just glad it's not me :P I bet they can't run equipment as well as I do ;D

CORN
01-02-2005, 08:52 AM
Keep it simple for bass and use either crawdad or shad scents. I think Kick'n Bass crawdad is the best for crawdad scent, but can mess up your boat if you drip it everywere. Yum or BANG for shad. Megastrike stays on plastics very well and comes out of a tube... no mess. There are plenty of other scents out there as well (pro-cure, smelly jelly, lunker sauce, etc). All will do a better job than WD-40 as fish attractants.

Fishtale
01-02-2005, 10:38 AM
I think I will just keep useing Bang....unless ...like WD40...there are hidden secrets I am unaware of? ;D ;D ;D

blue_chrush
01-02-2005, 01:25 PM
it wasn't ment to change your minds on sents, just a statement that how wierd is that WD-4o can produce strikes on baits as opposed to all the high priced stuff on the market. I prefer smelly jellys, that stuff stays on a long time and gets results,, just don't get it in your eyes, ouch,.....
;Dsteve

Budman
01-02-2005, 06:08 PM
This subject comes up every six months or so and that is a good thing; my memory was never very good and age has accelerated that deficiency. That being said, one of the previous incidents and local lore, caused me to experiment. Two conclusions: I usually continue to get as many hits as others around me, and WD40 is a quick, cheap and efficient way to clean lures. The cleanliness is not only in the appearance but in scent.

I have yet to classify it as the ultimate fish attractant as some do. I still keep some Pro-cure and other odd's and end's for tie breakers. On slow days, I get out an old tooth brush and dentifrice. At this point, I am as dedicated to WD-40 as I am Crest Toothpaste.

FreshwaterFrank
05-06-2007, 03:41 AM
What WD-40 is good for, is for making a miniature blowtorch & blasting bees, yellowjackets, and wasps right out of the sky.

Simply get yerself a giant can of WD-40 with nozzle extender, and light a match under the spray. Wooooosh! You have a great flame-thrower that will drop any flying insects like they were hit by AA fire.

Do not use WD-40 on sticky door locks, it is known in the trade as the "Locksmith's Friend" because it attracts dust & dirt & will make your lock worse than it was before you used it.

jiggity49
05-06-2007, 11:16 AM
WD-40 is illeagel to use on your baits as it is a pollutent. But I used it before I knew it was illegal and it did work

surge
05-06-2007, 04:52 PM
It is illegal, and it didnt work for me. If a fish does bite, Its one craze fish. would you drink it? no, why would the fish. :)

EastBayAngler
05-06-2007, 06:13 PM
You guys realize you revived a thread from 3 years ago??? :-/

Mr_Ed
05-06-2007, 09:31 PM
As long as Pro-Cure and the others don't make a spray botlte or can,

WD-40 still has a chance...!! ;D ;D

However I did see a show where Bill Dance had a spray on Bass
scent of some kind ??

hunkfisher
05-07-2007, 04:12 PM
You guys realize you revived a thread from 3 years ago??? *:-/

I think its cause the Fishing must be slow EBA ;D ;D ;D ;)

Brad "Hunkfisher"

[smiley=swimmingfish.gif]

Luke
05-07-2007, 05:45 PM
Liquid Wrench works much better.. But an alternate (a little more money though) is Zep 45.. ;D ;D ;D ;D. If everyone used wd40 I doubt any fish will be good to eat and plus why would anyone want to be a contributor to more water pollution. I am not a tree hugger and to love to fish but it pisses me off when I see an oil sheen on the water. Not good for the fish and not good for the organisms that the fish that we catch eat on a daily basis.
Luke

pontoon_crew
05-07-2007, 11:38 PM
An olllllllllld time fisherman showed me about the WD trick.Didn't believe it till he started nailin Stripers.Ever since then its the go to attractant!

CPTN_JACK
05-08-2007, 11:39 AM
WD-40 worked great in the 70s,80s,90s and still works!! Mabey not better than the new stuff but it gets it done!! Sturgeon and stripers!! Always a can on my boat!! CJ [smiley=captjack.gif]

jgr7
05-10-2007, 04:28 AM
Wd-40 has many uses, but I find it removes almost anything sticky. It will take off road tar, tree pitch, glue, gum, dried bugs. I even got my wife using it to remove labels from picture frames. As a fix for something sticking it is very good however you must follow it up with a real lubricant. If you use it on the paint on your car you must also clean and wax the spot as it also removes wax.
Jeff

PS it also catches fish ;)