PDA

View Full Version : carcinogenic to effect American\Sac River system?

fishtales
03-16-2007, 06:04 PM
Does anyone know if the creosote that is burning on the elevated tressles near Cal Expo in Sac for the last two days is likely to cause a large fish kill in the American and Sacramento River system? Thousands of gallons of tainted water used to contain the fire has drained into the American River. Bad news for shad and striper, if so.

dimpala95
03-16-2007, 08:55 PM
It can't be good for the fish or anything else for that matter.

rtandersen
03-17-2007, 05:06 AM
Not good for the surrounding area . It should thinned out as it flows down stream.

PickLeNose
03-17-2007, 05:53 AM
creosote isnt water soluble for what its worth thats why its so effective as a wood preservative, but its got some really really nasty compounds in it. I sure hope they are not heavier than water or cations. >:(

Sportyguy66
03-17-2007, 02:26 PM
Never is a Good time But I see it this way. At least it happened before the Stripers and Shad are in the system.

Troutdraggin
03-17-2007, 02:29 PM
Yea, I heard the railroad rep playing it down on the radio for KFBK as it was burning. We had left over treated RR ties at a campground and couldn't burn them. We had to treat them as hazardous materials for that very reason. The Forest Service paid a lot of money to have them hauled to a toxic waste dump. So, this might be very serious and haven't yet heard much discussion on the impact to the river.