PDA

View Full Version : Outboard Jets

Reel_Lost
05-16-2004, 08:59 PM
I have a 140 hp fourstroke Suzuki and was going to build a 20' aluminum sled. I've been told it is not enough power. Alumaweld puts a 115/80 on a 20 ft and they say it is plenty. Anybody out there have a sled who can give me some insight.

Mookie
05-17-2004, 01:14 PM
Reel_Lost,

If that 140 is at the pump / prop you have plenty of power. The 115/80 jet on the Alumaweld is a little light if you ask me. I have a welded 17 1/2' flat bottom with a 40 HP jet. Ok with two guys, not with three. Just bought a 90/65 to replace the 60/40. You will notice that a lower horsepower engine will be OK until you add the weight of extra people and gear and then it really lags. Slower to get on plane and slower overall. If you don't need to go far it's not such an issue. If you want to chase the fish 20 to 30 miles up the Sac. or other big water it's really slow.

There is no substitute for horsepower. Do it right the first time and avoid the cost of having to re-power later on.

My 2 cents,

FD

The_Big_Sinus
05-19-2004, 10:49 AM
In the summer I run up to 110 mi./day in a 15' G3 semi-V with a 40HP Yamaha. *It really needs a 50HP motor, with 3 people it's OK, but with 4 it won't get up on plane easily at all- the "fat guy" has to sit on the front... *140 seems a tad light for a 20' sled to me. *My general rule of thumb is take what you would put on there with a prop, and triple it.

Oh yeah, if you think there is a realistic chance of actually sucking things like weeds and gravel/sand into the impeller- you DEFINITELY want an outboard. *They are a lot easier to deal with on the water. *Even the inboards with stomp grates can be problematic.

So there's another $.02.

tcbritton
01-11-2007, 10:41 PM
they are right it isnt enough, so just give it to me Ill make a 17 ft v-hull and that should just be enough of a engine lol :D :D ;D ;D ;D ;D