PDA

View Full Version : What does your fishing year look like?

StocktonDon
11-07-2006, 02:55 AM
Starting in January, month-by-month, what does your ideal fishing year look like? * Which species / locations do you target when (in general)?

Think of it like a New Year's resolution:in January I resolve to fish for salmon on the upper Sacramento (or whatever) , etc.

Look forward to seeing how you put together your plan!

tarbuckle
11-07-2006, 08:12 AM
Well,
January, February and March you'll find me on the Mad, klamath, eel or Van duzen. Throw in a couple trips in Humboldt bay fishing for sharks and rays and maybe a few cod trips to restock the freezer.
April may and June You'll probably find me fishing the lagoons and the Bay. Also poke poling down at the lost coast
July August and September is when I'm on a tributary to the Trinity at my gold claim dredging for gold. I'll fish the Trinity a few times on my way to claim, especially in September, but Gold takes priority. I usually take a backpacking trip to the Alps for some high mountain lake trout.
When the dredge season closes it's almost entirely the Trinity for Steelhead tell about November.
October, November, December Is time to hit Ruth for Trout before the rains come. Also the estuary's become a target.

FishRman
11-07-2006, 06:42 PM
Year round LMB bass here. But when it cools off soon the trout bite picks up in my area and they ary my anti-skunk fish. Also in the summer ill go for trout because theres a reservoir that gets limit in an hour so its fun to have 50+ fish days.

brendensboat
11-07-2006, 07:05 PM
Fish For whatever is bitin best,
brenden

Mr_Ed
11-07-2006, 07:40 PM
Well;

Now that I am retired, the year never ends !! ;D ;) :o :P 8-)

hEmi
11-07-2006, 11:51 PM
Well;

Now that I am retired, *the year never ends !! * *;D *;) *:o *:P *8-)

ERRRR. I wanna be retired ;)

Fishing year ? hmmm.. I think for the next year, I promise to keep fishing. :)

hEms'
~see ya on the water~

StocktonDon
11-10-2006, 01:27 PM
DFG salmon closures Jan 1 - July 15 on the lower Sacramento River and parts of the American River, for example, *eliminate planning fishing there and then for salmon.
http://www.fgc.ca.gov/2006/06freshfishregbookbw.pdf

Private restrictions like EBMUD's Pardee closure from the last Sunday in October until the first Friday in February also should play into the game plan.

http://www.pardeelakerecreation.com/index.html

My call to them indicated there is never a time that Lake Amador is closed for fishing.

http://www.lakeamador.com/

Hogan?

The_Big_Sinus
11-10-2006, 02:04 PM
Generalized fishing year... Probably starting in 2008-

January- Hit the Sol Duc for hatchery steelies, maybe the Hoh. Depends on water levels.

February- Bay Area lakes, assuming it's pleasant enough. Maybe hit Tahoe, Donner, Fallen Leaf or Stampede- it all depends on access and ice.

March- Pardee a couple times, maybe Amador- target: Rainbows. Del Valle and Lafayette are gong off the hook.

April- See March. Sometimes Lower Bear opens up. Sometimes I hit Tiger Creek. Depends.

May- Hwy 88 ices out. Will hit Silver at ice out.

June- Paulina and East Lake will be the big trip for big browns. I hit the Williamson R on the way for big redband 'bows. Otherwise, the Sierras when I can.

July- Not too much fishing as the waters start to warm, but maybe a trip to hit the now much lower and more fishable Sierra streams. At the end of the month, a trip to Maine for week of Stripers and hopefully Bluefish.

August- fly from Maine to Unalakleet, AK, in time for the Silver run. Optional trips to Selawik (world-record class sheefish) or Innoko R (4'+ pike)

September- kings are in. Hit the above Red Bluff after the dam comes down. Silver Lake on Labor Day.

October- Hit Hwy 88 once more, maybe road trip back up to Paulina & East Lake. Maybe hit some of the high country lakes in the early part of the month.

November- Depending on the condition of the weather, maybe a trip to Burney. Start exploring Bay Area possibilities. I keep tellng myself that THIS is the year I try for sturgeon around this time. Or maybe THIS is the year I go to Pyramid...

December- things start to wind down in the Sierra. Depending on conditions, I may sneak a final trip in with my snowshoes to anything in the general vicinity of Tahoe.

If I could get paid to fish, I wouldn't work at all, really...

fishguts
11-11-2006, 10:44 AM
I resolve every year to learn a new lake or area. Its a fun thing to do and a nice challenge.

fourbizzle
11-11-2006, 01:38 PM
Jan1- Dec 31: Largemouth.

Throw in 3 or 4 trout and kokanee trips in there too.

Americansteel
11-11-2006, 03:36 PM
this isnt my ideal year.. but this is typically how it falls out:

Jan-Mid Mar: AR for steelhead
april-june:shad/ feather stripers
may-august:bass
july:ak halibut/kings
july-sept:AR springers/stripers
oct-dec:AR fall run
thanksgiving week: Klamath R for steelies

kromebrite
11-13-2006, 12:42 PM
Jan.-April: steelhead in American river, sturgeon in the Delta and Lower Sac, probaly and Amador trip or two for 'bows and some spring run stripers in the Sac around the city.
April-July: leopard shark in the South Bay and SPB, American River stripers and some panfish. Maybe a South Fork American trout trip or two. Probaly a live bait hali trip as well.
August-October: more shark, start of Fall salmon.
October-December: more shark, salmon

tdekens
11-14-2006, 03:48 PM
Jan-Feb Trout n steelies
Mar-Jun Stripers/Springers
Jul-could be anywhere
Aug-Nov Fallies
Dec-Steelies
New Years Eve-getting my new license ;)
2Shakes

Chetco_Indian
11-14-2006, 05:12 PM
Hit the Chetco Elk Sixes or Smith the rest of this month for salmon.Then in Dec Elk Sixes and Pistol for 40 - 50 lb salmon and also start steelhead on the Smith and Chetco.Hit the Chetco Sunday 39 &47 lb our season is just starting in s oregon .

SalmonSeeker
11-14-2006, 08:59 PM
January- american steelhead/bay area planter trout
feb-american steelhead/bay area planter trout
march-american steelhead/start fishing los vaqueros for trout
april-american steelhead/LV trout
may- LV trout
june-LV trout/american river shad/putah creek fly fishing
july- American salmon/LV trout/putah creek fly fishing
august-American salmon/LV trout/Putah creek fly fishing
sept.-amercian salmon/bay area trout/putah creek fly fishing
oct-American salmon/bay area trout/ annual fly fishing trip to rogue for steelies
nov. american salmon/american steelies/bay area trout
Dec. American steelhead/ bay area trout

I might try to ad benecia salmon fishing if its good at all

mike22ca
11-16-2006, 12:24 PM
Whatevers hot, I'm there....thats how I plan lol.

SuperDave
11-16-2006, 12:33 PM
January - March will be trips to Amador and Pyramid.

April will include a trip to our place at Lake Powell for stripers.

May, what higher lakes I can sneak into, last Pyramid trip and Eagle Lake opener.

June, Flaming Gorge

July, Hell Hole

August - September is Butt Lake and Little Grass Valley

October - Pyramid Fest and Eagle Lake

November - December back at Amador

Mr_Ed
11-17-2006, 07:42 PM
Last week I was cleaning up and getting all my tackle boxes back
in shape.

I don't know what the heck happened, but my tackle box with all my
kokanee gear ended up on the floor upside down !! :'( :'(

Would not have been too bad, but the floor was also carpet !!
Took forever to get all the hooks out.

Other than that, I am doing just fine !

When the sun burns off the ice...lets hit it !! ;)

MB_Kevin
11-18-2006, 11:49 PM
Before the sniffer the next few months was a bad fishing time. I might go out but never got fish. Now I know better thanks to the sniffer.(I don't fish for trout)

I just found out I have cancer so this year might not be so good but I now know I can fish for sturgeon in the winter and clear lake bite is good. also I can go out pole poking.

Spring is great at berryessa. I also learned about surf striper fishing ;)

The sniffer is great to learn where to go fish at any time of year!!!!

Salvage
11-22-2006, 11:50 PM
Winter: Amador or other foothill reservoirs trout; Strippers in Clifton Court
Spring: Foothill reservoirs; trout
Summer: Central and Southern Sierras lakes and stream: wild trout
Fall: Modoc Country wild trout; Amador

FishOnCutYourLine
11-25-2006, 11:35 AM
This is the first year I bought a 2nd Rod Stamps and I lost My G.Loomis 8'6" to a Striper. Pulled it into the water.....That's it no more 2nd Rod Stamps...

TS5655
11-26-2006, 07:45 AM
I wish my calendar was as full as you guys. I am looking to that retirement date too. Wife tells me that I'm not gonna be fishing all the time when I retire, figure a few weeks of me around the house and I will get to go fishing all the time. ;D

mark_j
11-26-2006, 08:06 AM
All fish, all the time, mostly chasing browns.

Unless I'm (mountain lion) hunting. Or deer hunting. Or chukar hunting. Or elk hunting...