PDA

View Full Version : Fall Ideas in Sonoma County

fishhawk101
09-17-2006, 05:38 PM
This is my first fall is Sonoma County and I'm wondering....where should I focus my attention???

I love all species of fish! I have a 16 ft boat with downriggers and pretty good electronics. I've fished Berryessa, Clear Lake, and Lake Sonoma...and I've really enjoyed them all but I feel like I'm chasing my tail so to speak...I just can't focus on one species or technique because I feel overwhelmed with the opportunities here in Sonoma Co/northern CA.

Can you please help me? Where should I focus my attention?

I'd love to hear some ideas. Thanks!

fishstix
09-18-2006, 05:33 AM
Well being a native (born and raised in Sonoma itself) I can only tell you to roll with the changes.

Beryessa, lake Sonoma are both great choices. You can also get out to the sloughs for striper and sturgeon action. If you dont mind leaving the boat at home, wintertime is the best for steelhead. Russian, Gualala, Eel, Garcia, Navarro you name it. You're closer than the most of us to these AWESOME and fish producing rivers. If you get "bored" with the inland fishing there's always the coast. Again you've got us beat as far as location.

As a kid I can remember fishing the lakes in spring/summer, the rivers in winter and filling in the rest with some ocean fishing and occasional trips out for some rock picking for abs. Either way you put it, there was always "something" to do/fish for. It wasnt until I moved to Placerville that I mainly had to rethink my fishing lifestyle. I always though I'd be behind the wheel of an Arima or other ocean going vessel. I couldnt be happier behind the oars in my drift boat though. So again I say - roll with the changes.

fishhawk101
09-18-2006, 04:58 PM
fishstix - Where are the sloughs?

Thanks for the advice.

fishstix
09-19-2006, 01:46 PM
Sloughs are basically the salt water version of a river system all throughout the valley in sonoma and napa county. The Petaluma area is a good bet, although I cant remember any names for the life of me. You can also travel into Fairfeild/suisun county for the same stuff. its all generally close by.

timetofish
09-19-2006, 02:24 PM
Try out Montazuma Slough or Suisun Slough in Fairfield/Suisun. With the rains coming its time to focus on the salmon,stripers and sturgeon running thru our system. The Petaluma River can turn out some nice fish also.

Got to your local bait shop/West Marine and buy the three fishing maps for our area. They're broken up into S.F Bay, Grizzley Bay, and the East Delta I think. They even have GPS #'s for known fishing holes.

fishhawk101
09-19-2006, 03:56 PM
Do you need to flush your motor after fishing in the slough? Are there any websites that post reports specific to this area?

fishstix
09-20-2006, 06:11 AM
most definately I would flush your motor after being in the sloughs. They control the saline throughout the system but salterwater is still saltwater.

as far as reports "specific" to the area - i'm not too sure about. I see posts here and there on the FS forums but nothing in particular. I would suggest heading over to Rhonert Park and talk to the guys at outdoor pro shop. Just leave your wallet at home though.... :)

calebetis
09-21-2006, 06:13 PM
I use to fish at Cuttings Warf for stripers, I think it is off 121 between Sonoma and Napa. They had a bait shop and dinner. You could fish from shore or launch right there. The action could be boiling at the right time.

Also the Russian river in Healdsburg, near the swimming beach, was a good spot for trout.