PDA

View Full Version : Lake Shasta

Kneedeep
08-12-2006, 10:53 PM
How's the fishing going at Shasta? I have folks in the redding area but they don't fish much. I have talked to a fisherman from that area in the past and would like to hear how someone that lives nearby is doing. Budman, how's it going? :) Kneedeep

Budman
08-13-2006, 05:43 AM
Kneedeep, my most recent trip was last Friday which was my fourth time in about three weeks. *Although not red hot, it has been pretty fair. *

With the exception of last Friday, the Eagle Lake Rainbow strain that was "caged" last fall and released a couple months ago, is starting to show up more frequently in the "main" part of the lake. *They are now 17 to 18", fat and strong.

Started in Dry Fork at 75'. *Got a 14" Trout on an Orange/Green Hummdinger. *A few minutes later got a little bigger Salmon on the Silver/Blue HD. *Repeated that a few minutes later. *Switched the Port side to the Nickle/Blue Cripplure. *Got a half dozen Salmon and sent the Downrigger down another 5' with each catch until I reached 100.

Then finally got a couple more on the Silver/Blue HD at 90' and 100'.

Went out to the dam area and finished the day with the Silver/Blue HD getting a couple more. *Picked up a couple at 110 and 120' on the new Pink CL. *And got a couple more on the Purple/White HD. *

Wound up with three+ limits and most of them Salmon which were all around 15 to 17"--very robust and powerful. *No really big guys (one trout around 18").

The depths noted above are actual cable length extension. *True depth would have to be adjusted for 1.5 to 2.0 mph with a 10# weight.*

The bait fish are keeping some Trout in the shallow, warmer water from the surface to about 40'. *However, the deeper I went, the larger the fish were.

Most all the Trout, even the deep ones, had copapods.

I was a little surprised at the action considering the moon being so bright. *Perhaps, with the light of the moon, the bigger guys are feeding at night?

I'm going with that theory and *banking *on next Tuesday being a limit of four pounders... *Bud

BITE_ME_II
08-13-2006, 08:45 AM
Great Report Bud !! It was like being in the boat with you, very much appreciated by someone who grew up on that lake, but just haven't been able to make it up there in awhile.

Thank You

BITE ME II
8-) 8-)

Kneedeep
08-13-2006, 08:57 AM
Budman that's a great report, thank you! I didn't know about the Eagle Lake Rainbow Strain being caged there and released, that's interesting. I just wonder how big they will get, with all the baitfish there is for them to eat. I have fished there in the fall and the huge balls of shad would set off my shallow alarm. Good luck fishing that great lake Budman, keep us posted on the action. I may have to visit my family in Redding and fish Shasta real soon. Kneedeep

troutfan
08-13-2006, 09:13 AM
Great report Budman. Very informative! 8-)

Rusty_Hooks
08-13-2006, 12:43 PM
I like that...Eagle Lake strain in Shasta......

The growth test in cooler, less alkaline water.....verrrryyy interesting!!

Nice report.

fish4fun
08-13-2006, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the great report Budman. Makes me wish I was up there. We haven't fished Shasta since last year. Don't remember seeing copepods on the trout. Sorry to hear about them in Shasta. Were they already on the newer Eagle Lake trout? They're nasty and based on what's happening at Berryessa, almost impossible to get rid of.. Larry