PDA

View Full Version : Independence Lake

lemonsp
07-27-2006, 09:47 AM
Trying to find a good fishing spot relatively close to Reno for Saturday. It is a friend of mines birthday so I would like to get him more than cold beer on the lake. Has anyone tried Independence Lake up north of Truckee. I've heard the fishing can be good there. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks boys.

Patrick

Mr_Ed
07-27-2006, 12:08 PM
Don't expect to come back with a nice clean car !

Dirt roads all the way in both ways, about 7 -8 miles worth!

No signs, better know the way or have a map.

This lakes ramp is very narrow with granite rocks here & there.

A small aluminum and 20hp or less is best for this lake.

It is also a barbless, artifical, Catch & Release lake c/o the
Cutthroats. All other fish may be kept.

There is a $5 or $8 fee at the office before going through
the front gate.

Take a camera if you go. (God's country )

Ed

Zucca
07-27-2006, 12:19 PM
I thought the max hp allowed was 10 but of course I could be wrong. ;)

Mr_Ed
07-27-2006, 12:26 PM
I don't know what the max hp is, however the lady let me dive in
with a 17ft bayliner and a 70hp Merc. O/B, after taking my money .

lemonsp
07-27-2006, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the info. I have done some searching on the web and found...well not much. As for motor restrictions there hasn't been any mention of it. I was hoping to find something on any special fishing regs since it is actually on Sierra Pacific Power land. No dice though. Any info anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

What about size of the lake. I actually have an older 18 foot fish/ski boat that I have been using at Donner, Stampede, Pyramid etc. I am not overly worried about the road as long as it can handle the size of the boat. A friend of mine at the USGS has suggested it as good fishing and they had a larger boston whaler they used up there. Anyway the more info the better so please keep it coming. Thanks again for the help.

Patrick

Mr_Ed
07-27-2006, 06:58 PM
If you can get your boat there without a trailer, that is the way to go.

It is that the "ramp" is a goat trail...... not ment for big boats.

The ramp rated from 1 to 10 ...is a 3

It is a good size lake, plenty of water to fish and nice & clear!

Ed

littletruckee
07-28-2006, 05:42 AM
Mr_Ed is absolutely correct about the roads into Independence.They are rough and unmarked.The boat ramp is very primitive.Your boat is too big for the roads/ramp.The regs are C&R artificial barbless(no bait) for the LCT.Also there are no Rainbows in the lake to be confused with the cutthroat.
Independence is the same size as Donner but about 1000' higher in elevation.The way it is laid out look out for the wind which is predicted to be gusting to 35mph in the afternoon.Even a modest breeze will have whitecaps rolling the entire length of the lake.Good Luck-Jay