PDA

View Full Version : carp

trout_man
05-12-2005, 01:17 PM
i usually fish for carp at some run off of the sac river right off of i5 after the airport. i went there maybe about a year ago and it was closed and havn't gone since. does anyone else have a good spot for carps. i love the action and fight they give and they can be huge.

panfisher
05-12-2005, 02:55 PM
I used to fish them at miller park on the sacto a couple of years back. Dont know if they are still there though.

dirtydan
05-12-2005, 06:44 PM
Bear with me . . . I had lunch in old town a week or so ago - there were HUGE carp at the bottom of the bulkhead - right near the Delta Queen. The folks at the restaurant said they feed them every night. I don't think there's fishing access on the old town side - but on the west bank - near the old Money Store building - you might have access. Those fish were BIG :o

-DD

Striperman
05-12-2005, 07:38 PM
Folsom isnt bad. Not much size but plenty to be caught!! I havent fished for em latley but seen guys catching them and snagged a few(on accident) while bass fishing.

Striperman

MB_Kevin
05-12-2005, 08:00 PM
We have caught some at black butte and lake Berry's in the last month. good sizes too. The one panfish popper caught at black butte 2 weeks ago he said was his best fight. Black butte is right off Highway 5.

The_Big_Sinus
05-12-2005, 08:21 PM
Off the dock at the Riverboat II on Brennan (?) Is. in the Delta. Later in the summer when the water's good and warm. I've seen specimens that might be records if they were Kings. No BS. Again, the restaurant people feed them bread, so I'm guessing Wonder Bread would get you at least a hook up. Chum well.

triggerfish
05-12-2005, 09:13 PM
clear lake is famous for carp shooting."bow and arrow." I think that youv could do pretty well there!

FreshwaterFrank
05-13-2005, 08:14 AM
Every now & then on Melones, I used to catch sight of these gigantic fish jumping & rolling on the surface. I couldn't figure what they were, until a guy I knew told me they were carp, & asked if I wanted to go bow-hunting for them with him! Heck yes...so I did & he proceeded to shoot about 30 of the suckers from his bassboat, with me spotting & watching in amazement. Some of those things were huge, like 25 pounds, and I took a big one home & cooked it up using my guaranteed recipe for trash fish.

Clean/scale fish & put in freezer until frozen solid.
Remove from freezer & put in large pan with enough milk to cover fish. Allow to thaw completely at room temperature.
Bake until well done in oven.
Let cool, then pull meat off bones in chunks & into a bowl.
Add chopped onions, celery, peppers, salt, pepper, garlic, and a few eggs...and mix well.
Form into balls, roll in bread crumbs & deep fry. Serve with tartar sauce.

Nobody will ever guess they're eating carp, so tell them it's a Cyprinid & leave 'em guessing. Sac.Squawfish is also great using this recipe.

New Hogan also has a lot of big carp in it.

vito
05-13-2005, 02:56 PM
Folsom lake. 10-20 lbs all day long in the summer. Use smoked turkey breast, tied on with silly string. don't forget to set your drag.

Diego916
05-13-2005, 03:44 PM
Hey Frank,

You know, its really too bad guys like your buddy don't understand that carp aren't really "trash fish" at all. Carp spawn in spring and their billions of eggs and fry feed predatory fish all summer long like bass, trout, catfish, etc.

Carp aren't even directly competing with these fish we all love for food!

When I was a kid, my buddies and I did the same types of things, though. Somewhere along the way, I learned better.

Its still sad... :'(

joe_tomlinson
05-13-2005, 06:03 PM
Atleast he ate some. I agree that folsom as alot of carp, and some big ones. Dead minnows, and night crawlers work good out there.

CORN
05-14-2005, 10:30 PM
I fished Berryessa yesterday and the carp were cruising everywhere. I was surprised to see them in the middle of deep coves, cruising a couple of feet below the surface. The largest concentration of carp were in Cappell Cove all the way in the back, around the trees. Try that area. You can park on the side and cast from the bank.

Striperman
05-14-2005, 10:52 PM
Fished bass at Folsom today and saw some MONSTER carp!!! They were hangin in the backs of the coves. Sneak up on em in a boat and pitch a dough ball out to em. That should do the trick.

Striperman

FreshwaterFrank
05-15-2005, 06:27 AM
Diego, I went along for a ride, not really knowing what to expect & disbelieving what I'd been told. I figured it was a "fish story" when I was told you could shoot 100 carp in a day if you wanted to. Personally, I only fish for what I will eat, and I make sure whatever I take gets eaten. Killing things just for "sport" turns me off....mosquitos & flies excluded.

trout_man
05-16-2005, 09:45 AM
Corn-
Where is Capell Cove located at Berryessa? I hear about all the time in regards to crappie. How do i get there from Putah Creek?

Thanks

tdekens
05-16-2005, 02:54 PM
Dunnigan slough is a good spot for carp. Any of the sloughs for that matter are. ;D

randyfishing
05-17-2005, 08:17 AM
OK I gotta admit, thought carp were a trash fish and am suprised to see such an interest. I have seen monsters in the deep at the Railroad Park in Htown. Last weekend I was plinkin for shad with a little kastmaster and a carp gragged the lure. He was a good fighter, I was surprised. People in that area leave them on the bank but I let him go. They serve their purpose there and there are bigger threats to the stability of the watershed certainly. Next time I catch one I will not be so disappointed. ;)

tsunami
05-17-2005, 10:31 AM
whats a good size line for carp,8???

tdekens
05-17-2005, 12:28 PM
;DI would go with no less than 6 but no more than 20. I think I would settle around 10 as long as you didnt have to lift them out of the water. :o When I was a little kid the ditch down the street from me had hundreds in it and was only about a foot deep. I took my wagon with two garbage cans and filled it up with carp. My dad thought something smelled a little fishy in the garage. He looked under the tarp which hid my wagon. Low and behold I had about 200 carp in there. It stunk pretty bad. He made me take them back to the ditch to dump the dead ones. I thought I was a master for catching that many with my hands at the wee age of about 8. ;D

trout_man
05-17-2005, 02:41 PM
i really don't remember the last time i caught a big, or at least a decent size carp. but as far as i can go, i thought 6lbs was nice. since i haven't caught a nice one in some years, just dinky ones, i can't remember if six pounds was nice or not. but carp fight real good. i lost one at west sacramento using dough and it just ran and ran then broke my 4lb line. hopefully it was a carp, didn't get to see it.

CORN
05-17-2005, 06:29 PM
Corn-
Where is Capell Cove located at Berryessa? *I hear about all the time in regards to crappie. *How do i get there from Putah Creek?

Thanks

Hey trout_man,

From Putah Creek (the river coming from the dam), continue north on 128. Make sure you follow 128 to the right, and don't get on 121. Turn right on Knoxville Rd and Cappell Cove will be on the right. Plenty of areas to bank fish. Hope that helps.

Corn

The_Big_Sinus
05-17-2005, 06:54 PM
One of these days I might fish for carp. They are unappreciated in this country, but they are indeed a nuisance fish in places. They tend to ball up in large numbers and churn up a lot of silt. This smothers the spawning beds of fish like bluegill and bass (other "nuisance fish" by some other perspective, to be sure).

Until I hear of a shortage I'm not going to worry too much about a little bowhunting here and there.

MB_Kevin
05-17-2005, 08:38 PM
what corn said you might pass it on the way there.

black butte
http://pstr-m03.ygpweb.aol.com/data/018/73/56/7F/F8/NDrLotLGgPE8oetSLudo0iIFMA47UkZv0300.jpg
berryessa
http://pstr-m02.ygpweb.aol.com/data/01C/1C/FD/91/C3/8bXWOh8dTLaq7FmqrtTrQep7S5xsj3zz0300.jpg
we have cought big ones at berryessa but this was the first pic i came along.

trout_man
05-17-2005, 09:01 PM
hey corn,

so how long does it take to get to capell from putah?
If its an hour or so away, then i'll give it a try.
thanks

MB_Kevin
05-17-2005, 09:17 PM
I would say around 10 min...if you dont stop for bait

CORN
05-18-2005, 08:27 AM
Yep, not that far. Maybe 15-20 min from that Pardesha store.

Wolf74
05-23-2005, 01:46 PM
Do carp not bite when they're spawning? Any info would help.

Rock_n_Reel
05-24-2005, 12:02 PM
This is what they look like when they're laughing at you and saying "neener neener neener." :-)

http://home.surewest.net/brunberg/sniffer/20050521/carp.jpg

trout_man
05-24-2005, 01:09 PM
where's that pic from boatless? nice pic though.

Rock_n_Reel
05-24-2005, 02:36 PM
Trout_man,

That's a little cove north of the Penninsula Campground on Folsom Lake. There were also blue gills, bass, and trout in there. There was another nice cove full of them a little way up the South Fork. I thought I posted the info on this thread, but it must have been another carp thread because I can't find it :-) I meant to post the picture on the same one, but there are so many ;D

MB_Kevin
05-24-2005, 08:37 PM
Thats a cool pic. I like it and it would drive me crazy.

Striperman
05-24-2005, 08:50 PM
Fished folsom today. Fished weightless with a small trebble hook. Also fished a slip sinker rig. Got a few bites on the slip sinker but got mostly weeds! The rig with no weight caught 2 fish and got a ton more bites. The fish would bite and drop it. You have to nail them when you feel a tick!! They fight good!! I like to catch bass and other stuff but when you have no option carp fight GOOD!!!! haha It was a ton of fun. Fast action, easy, non expensive!!! Go give it a try!!!

Striperman

Striperman
05-25-2005, 09:20 PM
Going out tomarrow to browns ravine. Ill be there from 12:50 to 3:00. Through the booth and down to the left. I drive a green chevy truck!! If you see me stop by and say hi!! Ill let you all know how i do when i get home!!!

Striperman

Made about 5lbs of carp bait tonight. I think im set for a while!!!! ;D

Wolf74
06-03-2005, 12:14 PM
So how'd you do?

Lil_Hooker
06-03-2005, 02:31 PM
Jones Tract is loaded with carp and all kinds of other fish there are some giant carp in there. Hooked a really big one just to lose it at the shore broke my 15# test line. There all over in there

fishrman4life
06-04-2005, 11:08 PM
ive always heard they were brackish fish and a nuisance from most freshwater biologists. they know way more than i do about carp but if they get into a quality fishery they can do some damage, i.e. clear lake. i would fish for em, but i dont want to take what i wont eat or cant release. its not that i wouldnt like a nice carp wall mount cuz believe me nothing would make me happier than to get a 30# carp on my wall ;D but i wouldnt know what thats like :'(

Striperman
06-05-2005, 05:50 PM
Catching a ton of fish on my bait!!! ;D Good for at least 2 every trip. Only fish for about 2hours at the most. The other day i did catch a catfish in my carp spot the probably went over 10lbs!! The highlight of my day!!

Striperman

Striperman
06-08-2005, 09:44 AM
Got 4 yesterday. Only fished for about 2 hours again. Fun to get out for a little bit and catch fish. Doesnt matter what they are! I just like to fish and catch fish!!

Striperman

Lil_Hooker
06-08-2005, 12:22 PM
Hey striperman what are you using for bait? Seems like you can trigger them to bite.

Striperman
06-08-2005, 05:23 PM
I make my own bait. Its a mix of ground up corn, corn meal, peanut butter, caros syrup, vanilla extract, flower. It took me days to get the wright consistancy but this stuff works!!! Im heading out for a little action today. Leaving in about 30mins. If anyone wants to join us we will be to the left of the guard shak at browns ravine. Two of us. Probably wearing waders to stay dry and warm. You will see a teal green chevy with a camper shell. Thats my truck. I wont be far from it! Hope to see some of you out there!!!

Striperman

Wolf74
06-08-2005, 05:40 PM
Good luck out there. I'm not sure how the action is gonna be for carp especialy considering its raining outside :-/

Striperman
06-08-2005, 05:46 PM
I know.... Im throwing on the waders and braving it. I cant stand to be locked up in the house!!!!! Ive been down at the river all day and didnt catch a d@mn thing!!! I need to get my fix of fish so im going to go catch some carp. I know i can get a few. They put up a good fight! Probably going to eat a quick bite of dinner and then heading out. Let you all know how i do when i get back. By the way.... Can you shoot carp with a bow at folsom? Man that would be a blast!!!!

Striperman

Ok well today didnt go as well as planned.... Got a few bites here and there but couldnt hook anything solid. Got one good solid bite and as soon as i set wood it swam into the trees and had to break it off!!! :-[ I did make a ton more bait tonight!! It looks good. Im probably going to give it a try again tomarrow evening. Again ill let you all know how i do!

fishrman4life
06-09-2005, 01:59 AM
do you have unlimited time for fishing, i work and go to school and barely get out on the weekends. i would go for carp i really would, but i dont have the time... maybe this weekend ;D

Wolf74
06-09-2005, 05:56 PM
Lol, I was thinking that myself. Striperman, it seems like every time I read one of your posts your on your way to fish, just came back from fishing, or are preparing to go back out again. You really eat, sleep and breath fishing.

catfished
06-10-2005, 06:30 AM
Hi everyone, I had no idea there was this much interest in carp fishing on this board. We have a catch & release carp club here in Northern California named NorCalCarpClub.com (http://www.norcalcarpclub.com/forum) and we have monthly derbies. We're planning to hold our July derby (July 9th) somewhere in the Sacramento area. If any of you would like to join us for the derby, just visit the website for more information, PM or email me.

Striperman
06-11-2005, 03:25 PM
Let me know where you are going to hold it. Ill probably be game for it!! ;D PM me with the info if you could!!

Striperman

I do fish all the time. I do mostley landscape/construction work. I dont have a steady job but people call me when they need help. I cant get a job with baseball all the time. When im not playing baseball im fishing. When your young you can do that kind of stuff. haha School is out for the summer so it will probably be getting worse!! haha ;)

Wolf74
06-12-2005, 03:09 PM
Yea same here. Since school went out I've been going out alot more. If you wanna hook up midweek and do some carp fishing or something drop me a line, I usualy don't have anything better to do.

catfished
06-12-2005, 07:54 PM
I'll let you know on here as soon as we figure out where it will be held. Thanks for your interest.

Striperman
06-13-2005, 01:25 PM
Ya just let me know!

Lonewolf- Ill PM you next time im going out. We will get some fish on!!

Striperman

Wolf74
06-15-2005, 08:10 PM
Hey Striperman, can ya be a little more specific on how much of what you put into your bait? I think I might try it. My pops is a big carp guy and he's been hounding me to go carpin with him.

Striperman
06-15-2005, 09:34 PM
I make my own bait. Its a mix of ground up corn, corn meal, peanut butter, caros syrup, vanilla extract, and flower, then put it in the refrigerator for a day and i should be good!!!!! It took me days to get the wright consistancy but this stuff works!!!

It will take you a while to get it right but when you figure it out its gold!!! Let me know if you ever wanta tag alone with us when we go. I love fishing wit new people. Especially sniffers! ;) By the way all you need is enough to cover your whole hook. We use a #8 trebble hook. No weight. Cover your hook and cast it out. Leave slack line and when you see your line jumping LAY WOOD!!!!! Good luck out there!!

Striperman

surfnturf
06-16-2005, 09:08 PM
Hey guys, I'm in the east SF bay. Where do you think is the best spot for carp. I have tried Lake Chabot (used to catch carp out of there, but none last time I tried) and Lake Elizabeth. I did get a bite on my dough at Elizabeth, a fat 2 foot long channel cat, but no carp. Suggestions?

Striperman
06-16-2005, 09:22 PM
Wish i could help but when i go to SF im fishing the bay. I dont travel at all for carp. I just fish folsom.... Good luck out there though!!!

Striperman

surfnturf
06-16-2005, 10:54 PM
From the sound of it I might have to come up to Folsom sometime. I guess I'm gonna try Chabot again though, might get one there.

Striperman
06-17-2005, 10:46 AM
If you come up to folsome let me know and ill fish with you, Show you the spots, and hook you up with bait!!!

Striperman

Wolf74
06-17-2005, 01:51 PM
Seems like your slowly getting famous for your bait there Striperman ;D

Striperman
06-17-2005, 09:37 PM
;D ;D ;D I should sell this stuff!!! I cant claim the whole recipy though. Thanks to fellow sniffers i built up the recipy. People would tell me some stuff to use and othere people would tell me different stuff and i just combined it all. It works for me!!! I should start calling it Stripermans Famous Magic Bait!!! ;D Think it would sell?

Striperman

catfished
06-21-2005, 08:04 PM
Hi everyone, I had no idea there was this much interest in carp fishing on this board. We have a catch & release carp club here in Northern California named NorCalCarpClub.com (http://www.norcalcarpclub.com/forum) and we have monthly derbies. We're planning to hold our July derby (July 9th) somewhere in the Sacramento area. If any of you would like to join us for the derby, just visit the website for more information, PM or email me.

I haven't forgotten this group, we still haven't decided for sure but it's looking like it might be at Suisun City, we're going to try it there this coming Saturday and decide then I'll let you guys know.

Smeja
06-21-2005, 10:11 PM
catfished,
i would love to go to one of your fishing get togethers. I need somebody to learn from. I'll have to tell you I'm carp challenged. I've caught one carp in my life it was about 10 pounds I was fishing for trout at the time. I know lots of spots where there is carp I just dont seem to know how to get their attention.

fishrman4life
06-21-2005, 11:19 PM
i always heard dough baits work well for carp, i know there are carp in mather lake, i saw what mustve been a 15 pounder in that lake snatching up anything it saw last summer. im definately gonna find myself some carp bait...

any suggestions on premade baits?

catfished
06-22-2005, 07:49 AM
Carp baits range from using canned corn to making super fancy doughbaits with all sorts of "secret" ingredients. :D

You can't go wrong using a few kernels of corn on a small hook with no weight or just a split shot for casting distance. If you're fishing in the Delta areas where chumming is allowed, toss a bunch of corn where you're going to fish. If you're fishing anywhere else in California, chumming is not allowed so get a loaf of bread and "feed the ducks". As the ducks eat the bread, lots of bread crumbs sink slowly below them causing a nice chumline.

For a quick and effective doughbait, just take a loaf of white bread, break it up into small pieces, add a little water and knead until it's doughy like Power Bait and no longer sticks to your hands. Stale bread works better for this. For an instant doughbait, use a fresh loaf of bread and mold a piece on your hook. If you squeeze down on it, it will form a very tough doughball. Just use the white part, feed the crusts to the ducks or make a bread dough with it using water.

If all else fails, bribe Striperman into revealing his "secret" recipe. ;D

catfished
06-27-2005, 04:21 PM
Hi folks,

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you but we were trying to find a good location in the Sacramento area.

The July 9th derby will be at Ellis Lake in Marysville from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm. No entry fees, or other costs. No prizes either, just bragging rights. ;D Anyone interested in catch & release carp fishing is welcome. We'll be glad to answer any questions and even give you some bait to get you started.
We had our first ever club derby at Ellis last March and the winner caught 5 fish for over 50 lbs total weight. There are quite a few exotic type carp in Ellis such as mirror carp, koi and angelfin which makes it a lot more interesting in my opinion. For more information and updates go here: http://norcalcarpclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=149.0
Here's a black & white koi carp caught & released at Ellis Lake:
http://www.norcalcarpclub.com/koied.jpg

FishinFool408
06-28-2005, 08:59 AM
Shadow Cliffs has some nice carp there as well. There are a bunch of them in that little enclosed area on the lake across from the launch ramp. Just be advised that you aren't supposed to be fishin in that area ;D

surfnturf
06-29-2005, 12:37 AM
I've heard about the Shadow Cliffs Carp, I might have to go out there sometime soon, as the spots around here haven't yielded carp.

FishinFool408
06-29-2005, 08:25 AM
I've heard about the Shadow Cliffs Carp, I might have to go out there sometime soon, as the spots around here haven't yielded carp.
Check out the place. The water is crystal clear. They also have nice bass as well as some large thunder trout!

pulper80
06-29-2005, 08:57 AM
great post by catfished. I would also add that you can just use a hunk of bread with some crust still attached, and use spider thread to keep it on the hook. "feeding the ducks" is definitely the way to go, as the carp swarm within a short period of time.

However carp are nasty and smell like rotten eggs and I wouldn't want to fish for them anyway :)

Wolf74
06-29-2005, 06:00 PM
I still find it funny how carp are the prefered fish in Europe and Asia. Yet here they're treated like pests almost.

surfnturf
06-29-2005, 08:53 PM
Carp seem to be Bass and more for me. They are large, fight hard, don't require expensive equipment or tricky methods to find and catch (usually) and put on a hell of a show when they jump. I also don't get the thing about Carp smelling bad, they do have a smell, but it smells more like strong herbs to me.

FishingObsession
06-29-2005, 11:14 PM
no offense, but i hate catchin crap...i mean carp. i once hooked one on the back while running a shad swimbait. as i cranked it in closer, felt a nice snag similar to how it felt when i hooked my 7 lb LM. set my hook and thought i had a bigguns, but turned out to be a smelly carp bout 25" long. >:( unhooked it, and kicked it back in.

FishinFool408
06-30-2005, 09:38 AM
Poor Fish! :-/

catfished
06-30-2005, 07:33 PM
no offense, but i hate catchin crap...i mean carp. *i once hooked one on the back while running a shad swimbait. *as i cranked it in closer, felt a nice snag similar to how it felt when i hooked my 7 lb LM. *set my hook and thought i had a bigguns, but turned out to be a smelly carp bout 25" long. *>:( unhooked it, and kicked it back in.
Yeah FishingObsession, "no offense but" stick to catching those wimpy largemouth bass, the carp are way to tough for you to handle. ;D

FishingObsession
06-30-2005, 10:22 PM
Yeah FishingObsession, "no offense but" stick to catching those wimpy largemouth bass, the carp are way to tough for you to handle. ;D

haha.n :D no skill involved with catchin carp. throw some bait out there and wait. i'm not into that. i like the strategies involved fishing for bass.

surfnturf
06-30-2005, 11:57 PM
haha.n :D *no skill involved with catchin carp. *throw some bait out there and wait. *i'm not into that. *i like the strategies involved fishing for bass. *

Try catching smart carp. You'll find the light biting and slow pickups tough to get. IMO catfish are way easier with their gung ho grab the bait and go style, whereas carp are really finesse fish that take a smooth hand to hook.

fishrman4life
07-01-2005, 12:39 AM
do u guys usually use corn or some other type of bait?

catfished
07-01-2005, 08:27 PM
do u guys usually use corn or some other type of bait?

Read my June 22nd post in this thread, It at least partially answers your question. :D

LegCramp
07-02-2005, 08:38 AM
I dont understand why some people prefer bass over carp....

You Catch and Release them anyway right? So why fish for a fish that doesnt fight as hard, is smaller, and really doesnt taste very good either.

When you properly C&R a carp you arent susposed to handle them anyway so the stink shouldnt be a problem as they shouldnt leave your net.

I catch whatever is swimming. When I used to be into fly fishing it was the same thing. There is always someone trying to act like they are something special by only fishing for natives with dry flies on undisturbed water only. Please, keep your three inch trout! Now I see Bass fishermen who by the way are looked down upon by most fly fisherman bagging on carp fishermen....

Get a clue! If it swims it needs a hook in its mouth.

catfished
07-02-2005, 07:37 PM
I dont understand why some people prefer bass over carp....

You Catch and Release them anyway right? So why fish for a fish that doesnt fight as hard, is smaller, and really doesnt taste very good either.

When you properly C&R a carp you arent susposed to handle them anyway so the stink shouldnt be a problem as they shouldnt leave your net.

I catch whatever is swimming. When I used to be into fly fishing it was the same thing. There is always someone trying to act like they are something special by only fishing for natives with dry flies on undisturbed water only. Please, keep your three inch trout! Now I see Bass fishermen who by the way are looked down upon by most fly fisherman bagging on carp fishermen....

Get a clue! If it swims it needs a hook in its mouth.

Hey Todd, so you're over here to? With all the forums you frequent I'm surprised you get any work done. ;D

catfished
07-07-2005, 09:27 AM
Since I didn't get any responses, I assume that no one from this board is coming to the NCCC Derby (http://norcalcarpclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=149.0)?

Striperman
07-07-2005, 03:09 PM
I will do everything in my power to make it to the derby. Depending on baseball. Thanks for the info.

Striperman

catfished
07-07-2005, 04:15 PM
Ok Striperman,

I hope you can make it. You don't have to be there by 8:00 am and you don't have to stay till 4:00 pm. Just come when and if you can.

MB_Kevin
07-09-2005, 12:37 AM
cool carp cat fish ed. I never got any that looked like that.
MB Panfish poppers uncle/crappie kids uncle. 8)

raycid
07-09-2005, 11:51 AM
Hey Yeah, I was at Folsom the other day, I saw some Russians fishing and they had a few good sized carp in their "keeper" bag.

I thought it was funny because those things are ugly as hell and when I was walking by I got a wiff and man they stuck like HELL (the carp not the Russians).

;D :D

fishrman4life
07-09-2005, 10:03 PM
They can make decent food out of anything I swear. (The Russians, not the carp ;D ;D :D :D)

BTW: The derby is a bit far away for me. Sorry, come to a more local lake in the Sac City area. I would gladly join.

jon_may
07-12-2005, 07:44 AM
I ATE CARP!!!!!! :o ouch.... :P this russian guy at my work brought some in for me to try...fried... it was GOOD! :D i hate to admit it... is there any way to block out my name when i post? :-[

catfished
07-12-2005, 09:00 AM
cool carp cat fish ed. I never got any that looked like that.
*MB Panfish poppers uncle/crappie kids uncle. 8)
Thanks MB, here's an orange/black one I caught at Roberts Lake in Rohnert Park a couple of weeks ago:
http://norcalcarpclub.com/ed1stkoi.jpg

jeremywallace
07-12-2005, 08:04 PM
Lots of carp in the Yolo bypass, caught a 12 pounder in there a few years ago, tons of bullhead catfish, beware the water is nasty and smells like raw sewage :-X

MB_Kevin
07-13-2005, 09:34 PM
Thanks MB, here's an orange/black one I caught at Roberts Lake in Rohnert Park a couple of weeks ago:
http://norcalcarpclub.com/ed1stkoi.jpg

Man those are some cool carp. I would love to catch some like that. Ill have to meet up with you at a lake someday and see how you do it. I always just get lucky to catch some. but they never are that pretty.

panfish_popper
07-13-2005, 09:57 PM
Yea, i always wanted to catch those fish! I seen a school of orange/black koi fish in Berryessa in Late April this year. I tried to catch them with Nightcrawler but they just totally ignored it and acted like it wasnt there. There hard fish to catch, and in my opinion, i think there harder to catch then the Common Carp.

fishrman4life
07-14-2005, 01:46 AM
that looks awesome, ur getting me an itch for carp...better make some bait

trout_man
07-15-2005, 02:30 PM
How'd the derby go catfished? Nice pics by the way.

catfished
07-15-2005, 04:53 PM
How'd the derby go catfished? *Nice pics by the way.

No one showed except for my wife and I plus our friend from Rocklin. It was the worst turnout we've had ever. Here's a link to the results with a photo:
http://www.norcalcarpclub.com/derbyresults7-9.html
I sure hope we have more in August. :D

panfish_popper
07-16-2005, 12:55 PM
Thanks for the link catfished :) Thats a nice carp! Im sure it fought hard!!

Wolf74
07-16-2005, 01:46 PM
My dad went to Pardee this morning fishing for some carp. He said he caught a pretty big one out there along with a couple of catfish so I guess the bite is on over there.

ocean_314
07-16-2005, 02:33 PM
I fish for carp all of the time and they are a blast. The best bait for them it a dough ball made from bread. Wheat bread works the best because its eaiser to pull the hook through the dough ball when setting the hook.
Carp are very good to eat if you prepare them correctly. Fliet off the meat and remove the skin. Then you must remove all dark meat and i mean must!. The remaining white meat is really good. The only problem is there are lots of fine bones so it will be very tasty finger food. The roe is also excellent to eat.

Wolf74
07-23-2005, 05:04 PM
Well my Pops and I went fishing for carp today over at Pardee. Ended up nailing a couple of monsters there, not to mention an assortmennt of catfish and a trout. It was a pretty good day. All the fish with the exception of the trout were caught with corn. It was pretty hot out but it didn't seem to affect the fishing. Both carp were in the 15-20lbs range. Here are some pics
http://www.anglerschat.com/attachment.php?s=0037d5dc6e5377bef1ef0a92567ac3f2& postid=22960
http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=501/7529Carp1-med.JPG

fishrman4life
07-23-2005, 09:05 PM
Ed, man im tellin you...if u host a derby at folsom or mather...you could get a heck of a turnout

catfished
07-24-2005, 06:59 AM
Ed, man im tellin you...if u host a derby at folsom or mather...you could get a heck of a turnout

Thanks fishrman4life,

Where's Mather? Is it a lake, pond??? I've heard of Mather AFB but don't know anything about lakes there.

fishrman4life
07-24-2005, 10:05 AM
Location - From U.S. Highway 50, take the Mather Field off-ramp. Follow Mather Field Rd. south to Mather Blvd. and make a left. Make another left on Douglas Blvd. Finally, make a right on Eagles Nest Road and follow to the park entrance.

It has carp because I have bore witness to a huge carp cruising the cove. I know it has others because every time I am out there there is someone fishing for carp or cats.

Hope this helps, and you know the reputation Folsom Lake has for carp...Brown's Ravine is the carp capital of the lake. ;D

outofthehole
07-24-2005, 03:38 PM
How do you fish for carp? Rig set up etc. I fish for Bass in the west delta and there are large numbers of gigantic carp out here. One time i was in my tube and paused for a couple minutes to enjoy the sunset, when I went to cast the water all around erupted with all the big carp that had snuck in on me when I was still. I think I must have found a warm spot in the river after that. Any info appreciated.

Diego916
07-24-2005, 03:59 PM
Use the search for "carp" within the last 30 days on this board and you'll find a lot of info, including Striperman's bait recipe and fishing tactics.

Wolf74
07-25-2005, 08:17 AM
Lol, yea Stripermans mythical and legendary bait.

Striperman
07-25-2005, 08:53 PM
;) ;D 8) It works! I love the stuff!!

Striperman

fishrman4life
07-25-2005, 10:54 PM
thinkin about trying corn at mather this weekend if it isnt too hot again...if it is...uggghhhh

Wolf74
07-26-2005, 03:01 PM
Corn works just fine too. Thats what we caught our two 15 pounders on.

fishrman4life
07-26-2005, 11:27 PM
small hooks or just string 3-4 kernels on a big hook?

catfished
07-27-2005, 06:58 AM
When I use corn I use a #4 baitholder hook and string on as many kernels as I can.

Striperman
07-27-2005, 09:35 AM
Make sure you cover the WHOLE hook. No meatal showing at all!! They are so pickey when it comes to that! If you have any hook showing they usually wont bite it! Just an FYI!

P.S. So whens this carp derby. Ive been gone and kinda forgot about it. When and where if its not over with?!

Striperman

sigmapirockstar
07-27-2005, 01:44 PM
Carp will bite almost anything like a catfish. I caught many carp in my private lake on many things, and a carp on a black rooster tail at Camanche!! I do even like touching them.

outofthehole
07-27-2005, 04:15 PM
thanks for the info, I will let you know how I do, I kid you not we easily have 25-35 pounders out here in the west delta. get on that hook

kromebrite
07-27-2005, 05:34 PM
Nothing wrong with catching carp. They make some great powerful initial runs.
FYI Lake Natoma has some big carp in the dredger ponds. Thats where I used to catch them using a 50# hand line, a #2 hook and white bread. Used to do that as a teen. I might have to try some time. I just remember those runs they would make :)

Wolf74
07-27-2005, 07:44 PM
Any of you guys ever eat carp? If so any good way of making it?

catfished
07-29-2005, 08:28 AM
P.S. So whens this carp derby. Ive been gone and kinda forgot about it. When and where if its not over with?!

Striperman

Where have you been Striperman? ;D It was on July 9th (as I posted on here) and no one showed up except Steve Gibbons from Rocklin and my wife and I. >:(
Here's a link to the July Derby results page:
http://www.norcalcarpclub.com/derbyresults7-9.html

fishrman4life
07-29-2005, 10:53 PM
where are the dredger ponds...never seen them before...directions PLEASE

trout_man
08-01-2005, 09:22 AM
Sunday fishyme and i headed out to Browns Revine. I got one hook up but my line broke. It was a nice take down and my pole went straight to the ground and the first run was really nice. Besides that, nothing. i saw alot of them jump though but none wanted a piece of my bread. I also caught a goose! i was fishing for bluegills and i set my pole down for a minute then when i looked at my pole it was moving like it had a fish. i yanked it and i got this funny sound. looked up, and saw what it was. cut my line but i think i hooked it also otherwise my line is tied around it's feet. (it ate my small bright green bobber).

Mad_Russian
08-03-2005, 05:56 PM
it does take more patience and knowledge to catch carp than to catch bass...bass are kinds dumb and will hit black worm with red tail..WHERE IN THE NATURE YOU SEE STUFF LIKE THAT? carp presents way more challenge

Wolf74
08-03-2005, 07:14 PM
They'll eat anything. I've read that bass even eat small water foul.

sehoner
08-04-2005, 03:35 PM
u guys are makin me want to go now. when i fish my spot on the sac, i usually have this old russian guy fishin next to me. he uses two hooks,pyramid sinker and just bread balls. he catches them like all day. its iritating when im not catching no stripers or cats. he always tries to give me one. now i may have to go catch one and eat it. hmm. maybe go to toe drain. hmm.

Striperman
08-04-2005, 08:43 PM
They are fun to catch but idk how they are on the dinner table.... Sorry man ive been out of town so much i havent had hardley any time to fish at all! Its been driving me crazy! Im sorry about the turnout! I would have loved to go but i was out of town. Sorry man!

Striperman

derbingel
12-21-2005, 06:03 PM
no offense, but i hate catchin crap...i mean carp. *i once hooked one on the back while running a shad swimbait. *as i cranked it in closer, felt a nice snag similar to how it felt when i hooked my 7 lb LM. *set my hook and thought i had a bigguns, but turned out to be a smelly carp bout 25" long. *>:( unhooked it, and kicked it back in.

Better hope you don't get reincarnated as a carp! :-*

catfished
12-21-2005, 08:14 PM
Better hope you don't get reincarnated as a carp! :-*

Yeah Franz, he would really be in trouble.http://www.catfished.com/roflmao.gif

Diego916
12-22-2005, 08:26 AM
My fishing partners swears they stink really bad but I don't smell anything out of the ordinary when I catch one. Apparently I can't smell it??? ???

catfished
12-22-2005, 10:11 AM
My fishing partners swears they stink really bad but I don't smell anything out of the ordinary when I catch one. Apparently I can't smell it??? *???
I do notice an odor on the carp but I normally just release them by removing the hook while they're still in the water so I don't get it on my hands. When we have a derby where we net, weigh and then release them, the net does smell a bit at the end of the day. The way they fight makes it all worth it though.

StripperKing
12-23-2005, 03:14 PM
I was fishing right above the airport in Sac last week for stripers and caught two stripers and 2 carp. I wouldnt have caught the carp if i got to meet these guys.They were using Flower and water and made dough balls and they were catching them like CRAZY they had like 8 carp in less then a hour. I had my mouth open when they caught there 8th carp and they were nice to lend me a try of some dough. First cast and caught a carp tryed again got another. Go figure ??? :P Kinda weird that must be a Honey spot for stripers and carp hmmm I think i might head back after christmas. But how would u prepare carp? Wouldnt there bones mess with the meat and u might eat there bones? Thats would i heard and i dont plan on eating carp.

ken_fishnfool
12-23-2005, 03:46 PM
My Grandpas recipe...
Nail the head to a cedar plank,
Cook for 6 minutes a pound in a 325 degree oven,
Make your favorite tarter sauce while waiting for it to cook,
Drink a wobblypop,
Pull it out of the oven when done,
Take off the fish and throw it away,
Eat the board! :P

My Filipino friends recipe...

Make up your favorite beer batter,
Filet the fish and skin it,
Cut the filets into cubes about 1 inch squares,
Batter and Deepfry in hot oil,
Make a dipping sauce,
Open a wobblypop and put on a basketball or football game on the tube,
Enjoy with a few friends.
(Don't forget an empty bowl for the bones) ;D

I tried the last one with him and it wasn't bad, just had to be careful of the bones.

Another friend canned them like tunafish and the bones melted. He did say to make sure you get off all the skin and rinse well.

I C&R and agree that they are real fun on medium or light tackle!

catfished
12-23-2005, 10:23 PM
I never tried eating them, I just like to catch and release but I have heard that the small ones (1 - 5 lbs) are pretty good if prepared correctly.

JoeHack-golf_star
12-25-2005, 06:53 AM
Fore!!!!!
you need to be awfully hungery to eat one of those nasty things....
let me see, my father in law has a koi pond...it costs me a fortune to go buy him a koi for every holiday that comes along....like if i catch one of those big orange ones, that thing would bring in $1000.00 bucks or so! :o
not a bad return for a bamboo rod and a loaf of wonder bread......

grizzley
12-25-2005, 08:40 AM
Carp is pretty good fare if prepared properly. No matter how you are going to fix them two things need to be done.
1. skin the fish 2. cut out the dark line in the flesh after skinning.
Carp, like any other fish, are better tasting when taken from cold water, like catfish the smaller ones offer the best flavor.
They are not a nasty fish, just able to survive where other fish dare not go. ;D

Brettskih
12-25-2005, 12:44 PM
Someone asked what bait was best. Bread balled up like powerbait works great!

Mad_Russian
12-25-2005, 11:09 PM
Carp can put bait in it's mouth, roll it around , and if ANYTHING smells or tastes suspicious, he'll spit it out and poor fisherman will never know that fish was even there ;)

liquidsoap
12-26-2005, 03:24 PM
i just read this whole entire thread, what a loser :P

lol, back in ohio we got monster carps,
weird how they stop getting longer and get real fat just like a blue gill

anyway, theres alot of big ones, and they come in at night on the big lakes, you could pratically net these suckers and they are packing 30 pounds, deffintly love catching them and targeting them, along with big cats.

but what i think is cool, is mirror carp, they are really rare in ohio, ive only seen 2 caught compared to thousands of comands and kois, someone was talking about koi carp being rare, defintly mirror carp is top of the charts carp wise in ohio, if anyone has ever caught one id be interested to here about it, there ugly with scares and yuck on the sides, not much to look at but a trophy in every other sense

catfished
12-26-2005, 04:06 PM
Hi liquidsoap,

I'm not sure what you meant by your "what a loser" comment? Anyway, I understand there are quite a few serious catch and release carp anglers in Ohio, they even have a carp category on the GoFishOhio forums.

Mirrors don't normally have "yuck and scars" on their side, they have much larger scales than commons and a lot less of them, some have very few scales if any. As far as them being ugly, I guess most people would say that all carp are ugly but I say "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" :D Below is a pic of a tiny mirror carp caught and released at a small lake in Lodi California:

http://www.norcalcarpclub.com/smallmirror.jpg

catfished
12-26-2005, 04:20 PM
Liquidsoap, here's a photo of a nice mirror carp caught at Pine Hill Lakes in southwest Ohio that I found on the CAG (http://www.carpanglersgroup.com) forums:

http://www.norcalcarpclub.com/01ohiocarp.jpg

Know_Excuses
12-26-2005, 04:35 PM
Hi liquidsoap,

I'm not sure what you meant by your "what a loser" comment?

I'm pretty sure he meant it as a joke at himself Ed ;D I' think that instead of doing more productive things he just read through 9 pages of carp fishing(as did I and I dont even fish for the buggers) and was making the joke at his expense. ;D ;D

catfished
12-26-2005, 08:33 PM
I'm pretty sure he meant it as a joke at himself Ed ;D I' think that instead of doing more productive things he just read through 9 pages of carp fishing(as did I and I dont even fish for the buggers) and was making the joke at his expense. ;D ;D

Ok thanks Know_Excuses, I wasn't taking offense, I was just kind of curious. :)

ric1ric
12-26-2005, 09:05 PM
Once when I was fishing for stripers in the feather, with pile worms I caught a 25#er even on striper gear it fought well

Know_Excuses
12-26-2005, 09:23 PM
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

derbingel
12-31-2005, 10:16 AM
Everyone has their opinion about carp... negative and positive.

Taste - to each his own.

Smell - to each his own.

Fight - no brainer.

Their long runs and stamina is comparable to striped bass. Although a non-game fish, anglers routinely fish common carp for sport.

Watch the face of a young kid fighting a large carp for the first time... think he or she is worried about how it will taste or smell?! :-*

Answer - another no brainer... ;D

Yankee
01-01-2006, 02:29 PM
I like to eat carp alot becuase they have alot of meat. About 2 inch thick of meat from a 20 pounder, which I caught my biggest carp with Uncle Josh Carp Bait sold at Wal-Mart. I can't wait for spring to fish for carp because they are hard fighter.

fishsearch
01-06-2006, 03:36 PM
Hi Yankee (or anyone else),
Compared to the bone structure of trout, how does the bone structure of Carp compare? Are there lots of little bones to watch out fore?

grizzley
01-06-2006, 07:44 PM
Speaking of bones. ::) One naked Carp for you ;Dhttp://www.skullsunlimited.com/graphics/wsk-304fish_skeleton.jpg?SSImageQuality=Full

ric1ric
01-11-2006, 11:43 AM
have you checked the # of hits on this topic?

Anti_Hero_Fisher
01-11-2006, 12:23 PM
Hmm eating bones while eating fish doesnt sound that great ;D

fresnofshfan
01-11-2006, 12:33 PM
We went fishing on the upper kings river, a special regulation trout water this past weekend. We fished all day saturday for nada. On sunday am my buddie wakes me up hollering about a huge fish that jumped infront of him. I grab my boots and start casting. Nada. I rigged up a worm and he did the same casted out and started cleaning up camp. He gets a huge hit that slams his pole on the ground. After a short but hard fight he pulls up a nice carp about 20''and 4lbs? a fat fish! I cut it in half and fed it to his dog. Im getting ready to leave, my pole is the last thing left, so I reel in and have a fish on! Short fight later a very colorful 18'' rainbow! It made the trip and my buddie didnt get skunked on his birthday!

janbfishinfolk
01-15-2006, 02:44 PM
I have had the pleasure of meeting catfished last year at Clear Lake. FYI He just caught a 19 lber the other day. The man knows what he is talking about. He and his club have caught some monsters and it ain't easy that I know.
I hooked my first carp up at Sparks Nv. by mistake a couple of years ago. It was about a 10 lber that gave me quite a fight - a fight I lost by the way. After that I started fishing for them. I hooked one which snapped my 6lb test like it wasn't even there and a six lber which fought for 10 minutes, only to slip the hook at the bank. Since coming back to CA. I caught an 8lber in a Rohnert Park pond which broke water twice and gave me a better fight than any largemough I've caught. I'm hoping to fish with Ed and his club this spring and learn how to catch more and bigger carp. To everyone who poo poos carp fishing I say great - more for the rest of us.