PDA

View Full Version : Lake Shasta Kings advice??

Erreck
10-08-2005, 11:05 AM
I'd like to know if anyone has any info/advice for pulling Kings out of Lake Shasta. I'm thinking of heading up there next weekend and would really like to not come home empty handed ;D.

The latest I've heard, is 60-80' with Humdingers, Cripplures, or minnow patterns (Rapalas). That's fine, but I still have no idea where to launch and what direction to head :-/. Any location advice would be great! And, any advice on color/pattern to start with would be really good!

Thanks in advance for any/all help!

norcalfishslayer
10-08-2005, 07:56 PM
I'd like to know if anyone has any info/advice for pulling Kings out of Lake Shasta. I'm thinking of heading up there next weekend and would really like to not come home empty handed ;D.

The latest I've heard, is 60-80' with Humdingers, Cripplures, or minnow patterns (Rapalas). That's fine, but I still have no idea where to launch and what direction to head :-/. Any location advice would be great! And, any advice on color/pattern to start with would be really good!

Thanks in advance for any/all help!

Erreck, a good place to launch is at the dam. Parking/launch fees are $6 at all of the public launches. You can troll in front of the dam, just outside the bouys with the tackle you have listed above. Start with a purple bow slingblade, with a purple/white humdinger about 3 feet back from the slingblade. If you ahve a fishfinder, look for the fish suspended lower near the bottom (at the dam they will probably be in 80' or so of water) and fish to those fish. Fish above that will mostly be trout, although we did catch one salmon in 25' of water last week.

Glow kokanuts and glow hoochies with a single kernel of white corn also work for the salmon. Run these much closer to the dodger/slingblade to give them more action, typically about 9" from the dodger, or 2-2.5 times the length of the hoochie. You will probably want to have atlease 75' of back line behind the boat. If you end up fishing shallower, drop it back to 150'-200' behind the boat.

Good luck. Will be up there tomorrow, and fishing it also next friday (pre-fish) and sat. and Sun. for the derby.

frank

Erreck
10-08-2005, 09:38 PM
Thanks for all the info Frank! ;D

You brought up a situation that I wanted to avoid :-/... Tourney!

I'm not in the mood for fighting crowds, and I HATE crowded ramps with a vengence. >:( High presssure waters and I don't mix). So, I think I may just opt for #2 lake (Bucks). :-/

Thanks again for all the help! I really do appreciate it and will probably fish the lake soon, just NOT on a tourney weekend.

norcalfishslayer
10-09-2005, 06:12 PM

I'm not in the mood for fighting crowds, and I HATE crowded ramps with a vengence. >:( High presssure waters and I don't mix). So, I think I may just opt for #2 lake (Bucks). :-/

Thanks again for all the help! I really do appreciate it and will probably fish the lake soon, just NOT on a tourney weekend.
Probably a good thing. I am looking into other places to launch than the dam.

We were out today and got skunked! It's weird because the fish were everywhere last weekend, and at every depth, including the top. But today, nothing. Only seen a few on the graph, and only 1 or 2 bait balls all day. Not sure where the bait and fish went. We were all over the West end of the lake.

ratss427
10-09-2005, 06:33 PM
check your p.m.

Budman
10-15-2005, 09:50 PM

I'm not in the mood for fighting crowds, and I HATE crowded ramps with a vengence. >:( High presssure waters and I don't mix).

Erreck, the Trout/Salmon derbies are held after the tourist season, so crowded ramps are not a problem. And many of the entrants lodge at Lakeshore on the Sacramento Arm and launch in that area.

Norcalfishslayer is correct in that Centimudi is a good place to launch as the dam/Dry Fork and Toupee Island areas are usually fairly active this time of year.

Bridge Bay may be a little more convenient and in a more central area of the lake, but it is a commercial launch and I believe costs more.

In fact, this time of year is relatively stress-free launching as most of the boaters are fishermen and may be more aware of their surroundings than the vactioning summertime visitors.

I went to Centimudi today and noted that the "lower" parking lot was only about half full. There is an "upper" lot that holds another 20 or 30 rigs.

And by the way, that upper lot has a loading area for disabled folks; it is wheelchair accessable and brings the passenger to gunnel level.

Re the Derby, I didn't enter but I listened to some of the action on the VHF this morning. Even Gary Mirales was having a slow day at least until about noon when I left. *(Gary wasn't an entrant but he likes to help everyone have a good time so he tests the water and helps out folks on the [radio] air while touring the lake making personal contact with many boats). The fish are apparently fairly shallow as are the bait balls, but it sounded as though most of the boats were having little action.

A small low pressure came in last night and I assumed that was distracting the trout. However, as I was forming those intelligent thoughts, a bank fisherman climbed the hill with a full stringer of large trout, caught on a bobber with about two feet of leader holding up a cricket. *I told him what I was hearing on the VHF. *He drove away, laughing, in his old paint starved Chevy pickup rolling by expensive looking boat trailers and their pricey tow rigs.

I toasted him with a "special coffee" and noted how good life was on this lightly rainy morning.

Erreck, I have some things going on that are keeping me off the water for awhile but I try to keep track of the action on Shasta. *You may PM me anytime if you would like directions to launching areas or if you haven't been able to get reports... *Bud

Erreck
10-16-2005, 05:58 AM
Thanks Bud! That was all great information, and I will definately PM you next time I get a chance to head up that direction. ;D

ratss427
10-16-2005, 06:23 PM
still waiting to hear the results from the derby.even though the salmon don't count in the weigh in.will be on the water weds. hope after the weekend i can give you some up to date tips. ;)

norcalfishslayer
10-16-2005, 06:43 PM
still waiting to hear the results from the derby.even though the salmon don't count in the weigh in.will be on the water weds. hope after the weekend i can give you some up to date tips. ;)

It was tought fishing. They people that got fish, seemed to be on them, but I would say that most caught few, if any. I got skunked both days and on Friday's pre-fish. My partner got 1 rainbow today. There were a few big fish. I didn't go to the weigh in today, but as of yesterday, the top weight was just over 7 lbs. 10th place was just over 4 lbs. as of yeasterday.

Frank

Budman
10-16-2005, 07:13 PM
Frank, did the wind settle down before you left?

I went up to Centimudi this morning around 0900 for an hour or so and saw a guy on a sail board doing about 20 knots.

The Channel 69 traffic was full of dissapointed transmissions.

Where did you fish? Dry Fork and Big Backbone looked fairly wind protected from my view point in the parking lot. I imagine that the South side of Toupee might have been fairly calm.

Hope to see you up there when I get started again...

norcalfishslayer
10-20-2005, 09:28 PM
Frank, did the wind settle down before you left?

I went up to Centimudi this morning around 0900 for an hour or so and saw a guy on a sail board doing about 20 knots.

The Channel 69 traffic was full of dissapointed transmissions.

Where did you fish? Dry Fork and Big Backbone looked fairly wind protected from my view point in the parking lot. I imagine that the South side of Toupee might have been fairly calm.

Hope to see you up there when I get started again...

Hey Bud. No, the wind was still howling at 1pm when we got off the water. And yes, those areas that you mentioned was a better place to fish as the wind was lessened there. Also fished Waters Gulch, and it was nice in there. There were alot of fish and bait in there, but nothing wanted to be caught. There was even some top water fish working the shad.

It was a bit disheartening to have slayed the fish just a couple of weeks before the derby, and not to even touch a fish during the event. >:( :-/ I guess that's why it's called fishing, and not catching...

I just reciently got a handheld VHF radio, and monitor channel 69 when I'm at the lake. Maybe we can hook up sometime on the water. I think I'm going to wait the full moon out before trying it again there. Not sure if that is what the problem was at the derby, but I'm sure that it didn't help. The one fish that we boated on Sunday was LOADED with 1" long shad, so it was obvious that it had been feeding all night.

frank

padrino
10-28-2005, 02:27 PM
*You will probably want to have atlease 75' of back line behind the boat. *If you end up fishing shallower, drop it back to 150'-200' behind the boat. *

i have always heard that landlocked kings are not boat/line shy. i have caught them (@ don pedro not shasta) )with short leads just above and behind ball flashers @ depths of 30'.

anyome confirm or deny this??

kevin 'padrino'