PDA

View Full Version : New rod question

sneak1000
09-22-2005, 11:21 AM
Looking for ideas on a new salmon rod...who knew a Lami couldn't stand up to a hook set, P.O.S.
Was looking around at some rods and I know you guys have some good ideas.

Rusty_Hooks
09-22-2005, 11:25 AM
I understand they will repair or replace if one fails...check with 916steelhead ;)

You may have picked up one with a flaw.... :P

Set_The_Hook
09-22-2005, 11:45 AM
What model Lami?
The northwest specials & Rogue River specials do not appear to be up to their normal quality. I broke one of the NW specials 2 years ago on a 5 lb jack hookset. I mailed it along with another rod that I broke in ignorance, according to the instructions on thier web site and got them both back less than 3 weeks later. 1 rod replaced the other with a new tip section. Their service earned them a loyal customer for life. I have about 6 of thier rods total. I just wouldn't buy one of the "special" lower priced rods again.
STH

Set_The_Hook
09-22-2005, 11:56 AM
P.S. Depending on where you bought it, some stores will ship the broken rod back to the factory for free. :)

sneak1000
09-22-2005, 12:10 PM
Well there you have it...this was one of their "special" lower end rods...the minute I got it (through the mail) I was disapointed. I only spent $40 on and Im not sure it was worth that much :-/
Anyway I learned my lesson and I am not going to send it back to get repaired...cant wait the 3+ weeks to get it back. I am going to eat the $40 and buy a rod that will hold up, just wanted to hear what you guys recomend

Set_The_Hook
09-22-2005, 12:17 PM
Sneak,
I noticed on another board that you were looking into a fenwick. I fished a buddie's bait caster (I can't remember the model) and really liked it. The rod was fast, sensitive, and had great power for how light it felt. I landed a 30 lber in fast water on it. For how much it's worth, if I were in the market for a new rod around 100.00 I would pick up the Fenwick. Sorry for not remembering the model.

Set_The_Hook
09-22-2005, 12:19 PM
P.s. his new fenwick was the free replacement for the older fenwick I scattered the year before ignorantly trying to horse a BIG salmon. :-/ I was surprised he let me play with it. Incidentally his wife adopted the new rod and won't let him touch it. ;D

Off_The_Hook
09-24-2005, 07:51 AM
I recently bought a GLoomis HSR981c GL2. It is an 8'2" one piece rod. It's got a lot of backbone, and a fast sensitive tip. I pretty much use it for everything. I was initially hesitant on spending the money for it, but I got tired of breaking the $40 rods. I think it's worth it.

Reno_Reeler
09-24-2005, 09:54 AM
I second the opinion of the G. Loomis' rod quality and strength. I have several GL2's that have exceeded my expectations.

metalmouth
09-24-2005, 10:17 AM
GLoomis IMX 9' 2 Pc. Fast Action, Medium *STR1084 C or S.
I prefer the spinning model to the bait caster because of the larger eyes and dual use format. I currently have 6 of these for spinning and bait casting and have used them for 8 years on Salmon without a single problem. Second best investment is a pole case that accommodates leaving the reels attached. GL2 STR1083 C or S for all around up to and especially Steelies.*
8) ;D 8) MM

Mickey_Thomas
09-24-2005, 03:56 PM
I use the Vance's new heavy rod all this year for Salmon, no complaints, to me it has just the right balance of back bone and bend. Caught two personel best on it, a 30 pounder and a 32 pounder.

Off_The_Hook
09-25-2005, 09:26 AM
Mickey,
Were you using those rods mooching or in the downrigger? I was considering a set of those to specifically use in the downrigger for next year. Wondering how they worked there. I would think the sprial wrap would be perfect for that.

Rusty_Hooks
09-27-2005, 08:52 AM
He's out using it right now ;)...for salmon

I picked up the heavy Vances spiral wrap and haven't even got it wet yet :-/...

It's got a good medium action and the spiral wrap would work just as well for mooching.

jdogg
09-27-2005, 11:01 AM
you won't be disapointed with a g-loomis.

PlugROCKSTAR
09-28-2005, 05:26 AM
I understand they will repair or replace if one fails...check with 916steelhead ;)

You may have picked up one with a flaw.... :P

they fix everything that i send back 8)
;D

sneak1000
09-28-2005, 09:28 AM
Well I just picked up a Fenwick FS85 UNUSED!! Its an older model rod but from the ppl I've talked to say this is one of the best rods ever made, however they don't make them any more. I managed to find one the has never been used and still has all the original cases and wrappings on it.
I figure I will warrenty out that POS Lami and use it as a spare for my buddies who don't get the chance to fish for salmon due to lack of equipment.
Thank you for all of the input...one day I will be able to afford one of those bad boy G-Loomis rods or a Titanium Lami...until then, tight lines and broken rods :'(

Mr_Ed
09-28-2005, 09:59 AM
I just got a G Loomis GL2 7'6" hvy,mod fast 12-25lb test rod ,that slides down to 6foot! For "Flipn Bass". I didnt know ,being a "slider", if it wood work out? It DID! You get what you pay for!!! Go top of the line in TOP rod makers if you can, and u will never be sorry.Plus 90% will fix em FREE to keep their "image"..know what I mean bubba? Later...Ed

ghostfish_slayer
09-28-2005, 11:32 PM
the loomis hot shot rods are prime.i have a hs1021 med/mag and it has a very sensitive tip with all the power i need.

Reno_Reeler
09-29-2005, 12:06 AM
F.Y.I.,

You can find a up to date review on high end fishing rods and all manner of tackle at www.tackletour.com.

super-mat
10-03-2005, 08:23 PM
I'm a HUGE fan of the Redington rods. Check them out at http://www.redington.com/rods/rfx.html
The rods are awesome! Super-sensitive and the price is sweet too, not to mention the warranty. They're an affilliate of SAGE fly rods so you know that the quality is there.

Matt

VS
10-11-2005, 01:17 PM
Buy the higher end Lamiglas products--It seems a $40 rod, even by Lamiglas, is likely to be a piece of s----. Also having had ~5 rods replaced by Lamiglas over ~10 years at no charge,the warranty helps compensate for the higher cost of the rod. Send your rod back to Lamiglas. Buy a G1000 series rod or higher.

3 rods I like a lot for salmon are:

G1000 series, 8.5' medium heavy, 10-20 lb line that's great for fishing rivers for bigger salmon, casting lures (used on the Feather from shore, for example).

G1000 series, 7', "California Moocher" for mooching/downrigger. Good mix between lighter tip and backbone. This is my primary saltwater rod.

G1000 series, 7.5', medium light, 6-12 lb line. This is a fine steelhead/lighter action salmon rod for smaller rivers/smaller average fish. I've landed 25lb chinook with it on the Trinity R (in a boat).

Another 2-bits worth