PDA

View Full Version : anyone else caught a 2 ft lamprey eel??

trmpb
09-23-2005, 08:38 PM
My wife and I were anchored above the Miller park area fishing for stripers. *My wife is fighting a fish not large but a fun fight with light line and as she gets it to the surface it looks black and long and definately not a fish. *We looked at it for just a moment and it appeared to let go of the bait and dive back down. *We were not expecting that and really couldn't believe our eyes. *:o
We didn't know that the river had eels in it and I was very thankful I didn't have to get it off the line. *

Has anyone else every caught one on their line? *Do they have teeth or are they harmless? * :)

Mr.Pescador
09-23-2005, 09:01 PM
They have a sucker type mouth.They attach themselves to a larger fish and suck their blood.I've never caught one on a hook but we used to catch them by hand in a local creek when I was a kid.They are harmless but very slimey and gross.They are excelent sturgeon bait and expensive.That two footer would cost about $40.

tdekens
09-26-2005, 02:53 PM
Interesting enough, Pacific lampreys grow up to 30 inches. Here is an awesome link on anadromous fish
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fishing/assets/publications/anadfish.pdf

2Shakes ;D ;D 8)

randyfishing
09-27-2005, 07:23 AM
Eels were once quite common in all the pacific coast rivers and were an important part of the native american diet. You can still find the little larvae in the RR and I have seen them in the Eel river also (hence the name, duh), freaked me and the kids out - ew, worms!! ;D I did a google on them and there are a handful of species up and down the coast. The interesting part was the description of an "eel ball" that could roll up and over the dunes or across dry land to another water source, very interesting creature but very slimy and the suck the life out of the host fish thing gets you goin' too.