PDA

View Full Version : Mather Lake Water Level

scupper
09-11-2005, 07:36 AM
Has anyone noticed an impact on the fishing @ Mather Lake from the reduced water level?

I've been going out to Mather since the late 1970s, and although I don't keep a record or journal of the water level of each month or season, it seems that the lake has been allowed to draw down a little lower than usual for this time of year.

I thought the County would get a transfer of water from the BLM from the Folsom South Canal, or from the Mather AFB remediation wells that I read are supposed to supplement the supply to the lake during dry periods.

The County's resource management study for Mather Lake listed both of these sources.

So in very long, is anyone seeing this affect the fishing? And has anyone heard or made a call to the county?

TIA

ll_kaidoy_ll
09-11-2005, 02:54 PM
What kind of fish do they have in Mather Lake? I just noticed it yesterday when I was playing a round of golf at Mather Field Golf Course. Do you just fish off the bank or is it boat accessable?

rymerpt
09-11-2005, 04:10 PM
I fish it regularly. I float tube it. The fishing has slowed a bit, but big bass are still being caught. Lots of small pan fish. Blue gill, crappie, small grass carp, catfish, trout, Bass. The lake has it all.

ll_kaidoy_ll
09-12-2005, 09:04 AM
Is the lake big enough to allow boats?

sneak1000
09-12-2005, 10:16 AM
Mather is a kick a%^ lake but it takes ALOT of work to pull fish outta there. There is an abundance of Bass but working a float tube out there is like running in mud. Bank fishing can get frustrating due to the limited access points to good holes but I've seen some fatties taken from the shore. No boats or boat ramps but tubes o.k. If you work your way ALL the way to the back and position yourself in the deep canal where the inlet is, you can do some pretty good damage.
Senkos and pig&jigs done weedless is your best bet. Never caught anything over 3 lbs but I've seen bigger caught.
Good luck and keep us posted

Blue_R70
09-12-2005, 12:18 PM
No boats or boat ramps but tubes o.k.

Actually, you can use a boat there but gasoline motors are not allowed. If you plan on launching a boat out of Mather you have to carry it from the parking lot to the lake--that can be quite a distance for anything larger than a car topper or jon boat. And then you have to lug the battery and trolling motor. I used to fish there in a small jon boat but have seen everything from inflatables, pontoon boats, pond prowlers and plenty of kayaks...

fishrman4life
09-12-2005, 10:52 PM
Does anyone ever pay the fee there? I dont see anyone pay EVER. I was always taught to pay, but big parties never do. :-/

scupper
09-13-2005, 03:48 PM
Does anyone ever pay the fee there? I dont see anyone pay EVER. I was always taught to pay, but big parties never do. :-/

I do, but I'm going to get an annual pass to county parks. My beef is that I would like to park over on Douglas Rd. near the east entrance.

It's designated a no parking zone, but if you have an annual pass or have paid the self pay fee, you should be able to park there. There's an asphault pad there which could accomodate at least 10 cars.

The RCPD should help out in fee enforcement. I see the motorcycle cops and patrols go by all the time.

freon
09-13-2005, 07:37 PM
When I first started fishing out there, about eleven years ago, I got some nice bass out of there, nothing over five lbs though, but since I ran the maintenance for a large program out there until about a year ago, I have seen three that were over eight lbs. I have also seen an eleven, eight and five pound catfish come out of there within three hours of fishing (thats been about eight years ago though).
Freon