PDA

View Full Version : Fillet

Wolf74
08-30-2005, 10:54 AM
This might be one of the supidest questions asked in this board, but..how do you fillet a fish? Usualy i cut it into chuncks and make a fish fry. So I've never really done it. Help?

SuperDave
08-30-2005, 11:02 AM
I'd like to see some one explain this! *You have to see it to make it sink in. *One thing that is worth a six pack, buy a glove!!!!! *Maybe 2. *

What kind of fish will you be filleting?

Wolf74
08-30-2005, 11:08 AM
Well any fish in general. The reason I ask now is because I started salmon fishing, and I wanted to fillet those when I catch them. Catfish too.

SuperDave
08-30-2005, 11:23 AM
Okay, here's a stab at the salmon. After the fish is gutted and fish is laying on its side, make a vertical cut just behind the gill plate down to the spine. Move to the tail and start a horizontal cut just above the tail fin. Keep the knife flat and tightly pressed against the backbone, working your way toward the head. Once that slab is removed from the fish, you have a choice of removing the skin or leaving it on. When I grill my salmon fillets, I leave the skin on. If you want to remove the skin, flip the fillet skin side down and once again start at the tail end. Get the knife started just between the skin and meat. It is almost like a membrane. Work the knife tight to the skin toward the head end and you should end up with a clean piece of meat. Don't worry about your first attemp, it looked like I used a hatchet instead of a fillet knife the first time I tried.

drstressor
08-30-2005, 12:15 PM
I just posted this today on the salmon board in response to a question about cleaning a big one:

To fillet a large fish:

1) Use a proper fillet knife that has a 9" blade.

2) Cut to the backbone behind the gills by angling the knife toward the gills. This slices under the scales and makes the cutting easier and does not dull the blade.

3) Make a shallow cut along the top of the fish from the initial transverse cut to the tail. Just go deep enough to position the cut over the fin rays as they go into the flesh.

4) Make a second slice from the transverse cut along the backbone to the tail. Lift the meat at the transverse cut and "feel" along the vertical spines with the blade. Don't try to cut any further than the backbone where the ribs start. This point is along the lateral line of the fish. Cut through the pin bones above the ribs, but not into the rib cavity.

5) Lift the meat away from the bones and slice along the outside of the rib cage. This takes a couple of slices. Stop at the vent each time.
6) Once the meat is away from the ribs, push the blade all the way through to the vent and complete the job by cutting the meat along the backbone to the tail.

7) Flip the carcass over and repeat everything on the other side of the fish.

To steak a large fish:

1) Gut and remove the head. Scrape out the kidney (the blood line along the backbone) with a spoon after cutting the membrane along either side with the knife. *

2) Using the fillet knife, "mark" each steak by cutting through the skin on one side of the fish at 1"-2" intervals.

3) Cut each steak to the backbone with the fillet knife.

4) Cut through the backbone using a boning knife with a heavy blade. There are 2 ways to do this. If you have a knife with a serrated blade you can just saw through the bone. An easier way is to take a standard heavy boning knife hit the base of the upper part of the blade with a mallet or hammer. Just cut through the bone.

5) Finish cutting the steaks with the fillet knife.

Cut steaks back to the vent of the fish. Fillet the tail.

For smaller fish like trout or kokes, I just make the cut behind the gills, turn the knife, and cut along the backbone with a sawing motion. Then I trim the ribs off the fillets.

SuperDave
08-30-2005, 12:52 PM
I just posted this today on the salmon board in response to a question about cleaning a big one:

To fillet a large fish:

1) Use a proper fillet knife that has a 9" blade.

2) Cut to the backbone behind the gills by angling the knife toward the gills. This slices under the scales and makes the cutting easier and does not dull the blade.

3) Make a shallow cut along the top of the fish from the initial transverse cut to the tail. Just go deep enough to position the cut over the fin rays as they go into the flesh.

4) Make a second slice from the transverse cut along the backbone to the tail. Lift the meat at the transverse cut and "feel" along the vertical spines with the blade. Don't try to cut any further than the backbone where the ribs start. This point is along the lateral line of the fish. Cut through the pin bones above the ribs, but not into the rib cavity.

5) Lift the meat away from the bones and slice along the outside of the rib cage. This takes a couple of slices. Stop at the vent each time.
6) Once the meat is away from the ribs, push the blade all the way through to the vent and complete the job by cutting the meat along the backbone to the tail.

7) Flip the carcass over and repeat everything on the other side of the fish.

Doc, thanks for proving my point! ;) ;D

drstressor
08-30-2005, 04:22 PM
I didn't prove your point Hinrid. You fillet backward. ;) ;D

Farrier_Frank
08-30-2005, 05:20 PM
There was nothing stupid about the question of how to filet a fish, Wolf. You just asked a question many would have liked to ask but didn't. Many fishermen have no clue, and some that think they're pretty good with the filet knife leave you picking the bones out when it's on the plate. Someone out there in Sniffer land probably has access to a site that shows the procedure in pictures. It's like Hinrid pointed out: It's a lot easier to understand when you can see it.

SuperDave
08-30-2005, 06:46 PM
Doc, you proved it as soon as you started using words like "transverse cut."

drstressor
08-30-2005, 07:01 PM
Here you go. This is how I do smaller fish.

http://www.salmonuniversity.com/ol_htfs_intro.html

Farrier_Frank
08-30-2005, 07:12 PM
I knew somebody had some pictures 8)

h00kie
08-31-2005, 07:42 AM
Awesome link Doc. My mouth is watering just thinking about the many ways to cook those fillet :D

mike22ca
08-31-2005, 12:52 PM
I do it just like deck hands do it. I can do a pretty clean job in a matter of minutes. Ask fish_hunter lol

skipper
09-01-2005, 07:17 PM
Don't forget to sharpen your knife first. ;D ;D A sharp knife is a must. I always carry a good knife sharpener in my tackle box. ;) ;) :) :)

Wolf74
09-01-2005, 07:27 PM
Those pics are great. Thanks alot Doc.

Striperman
09-01-2005, 08:01 PM
Ill show u!

Striperman

Wolf74
09-01-2005, 09:00 PM
Well we need to catch a fish first lol.

ric1ric
09-02-2005, 11:43 AM
take a ride on a party boat, the ride back in can be very educating + entertaining.

fishguts
09-02-2005, 07:56 PM
My friend fished a party boat up at Crescent city, since the captain has some orthopedic problems, this lady comes to the pier and fillets the fish for a few bucks. He said it was disgusting at how much meat she left. He decided to clean his own.

Zepplock
09-03-2005, 09:01 PM
I prepared the fillet from catfish i caught - that was pretty easy. Even for the fist time.

bpfishnon
09-07-2005, 09:35 AM
Another good tool to use for sharpening knives is the sharpner bow hunters use to sharpen their broadheads, it has the ultimat 14 deg. angle for the razors edge. A sharp knife can make anyone look like a pro.

Wolf74
09-07-2005, 04:14 PM
Yea i need to get myself a sharpener.