PDA

View Full Version : Stanislaus River @ Caswell Memorial State Park

wading2fish
08-28-2005, 08:11 PM
Has anyone fished the section of the Stanislaus River that meanders thru Caswell Memorial State Park?

w2f

kstone44
08-29-2005, 10:37 PM
Along time ago we use to float through there I don't remember were we got out at but there are trout, smallies and the occasional striper. Mostly bass is what I would target, primarily using gold/blk floating Rapalas F9 and grubs;Kalin 5" 1/4oz head smoke red/blk flake. Good luck and let us know how you did.

wading2fish
08-30-2005, 04:28 AM
I'll be in Modesto Labor Day weekend. Will try to get away to do some fishing. Did some research online and found Caswell park to be 25 min away from where I'll be. Looked it up on satellite and noticed Stanislaus River runs thru it. If I make it out I'll post how I did.

w2f

fishnmike2002
08-30-2005, 07:05 AM
I used to float the Stan all the time too, its a great river. Full of smallies. If you are going to be in Modesto, head out McHenry Ave to the north. It crosses the river. Turn left on River Rd and head west a couple of miles. There is a Park with a lot of river access and you don't have to pay.

FishnMike

wading2fish
08-30-2005, 09:34 AM
Hey FishnMike,

Thanks for that info, just what I was looking for, Sniffers come thru once again. I will head up that way instead of Caswell. Looked into booking a campsite at Caswell and it is all booked, looks like it might be packed being Labor Day weekend and all, so I think it's a good idea to stay away from there. I'm gonna take your info and go up and do a little fishing that way :). Thanks

w2f

dogfish30
08-30-2005, 06:23 PM
I fish the Stanislaus all the time. I fish a little up river from Caswell though. Use your trout rod and catch a squawfish. This is the VERY BEST BAIT. Use a live bait rig. Sliding sinker, with a four foot leader to keep your bait out of the weeds. Find a hole! Lip hook that sucker and you will catch a striper. They're still here, but they are in the deeper holes. If you go to McHenry Park, park in the first parking lot and walk all the way out. Five minute walk. I have caught them on liver, anchovies, and shad too, but live bait is the way to go. If you have any other questions about this area, please feel free to ask. I live a half mile from the river. Good Luck, DF30 PS I have seen camp sites at McHenry Park, but they're kind of primitive. If there's a park host, ask them about them.

wading2fish
08-30-2005, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the info DF,
Catch squaws and use em for bait, that's exactly what I had in mind. Will salmon eggs catch squaws?

w2f

dogfish30
08-31-2005, 03:03 AM
I don't know if salmon eggs will catch them or not. I always use a small piece of anchovie. Works great. Find a place with some cover, like a log going in to the river and fish under it. If you can see a bunch of squawfish under the log, close to the bank, that's a good indication that stripers are out in the middle of the river. DF30

spoonkilr
08-31-2005, 12:48 PM
3 words for you BRING BUG SPRAY!!!!

wading2fish
08-31-2005, 12:49 PM
Yeah I got em already. Two new cans of Off.

w2f

spoonkilr
09-01-2005, 01:04 PM
OKAY NOW THAT YOU ARE READY FOR THE BUGS... GO BUY THREE 5 INCH SILVER AND BLACK HUSKY JERKS. WADE DOWN STREAM OUT OF THE PARK AND CAST TO THE ROCK WALL ON THE LEFT HAND SIDE OF THE RIVER. THERE IS AN EDDY RIGHT THERE ALSO BUT IT IS SUMMER SHALLOW AND DOES NOT HOLD MANY FISH NOW--GOOD LUCK--SPOONKILR

wading2fish
09-01-2005, 03:54 PM
I have an assortment of lures I'm taking with me up there. I'm also gonna try to catch squaws to use as live bait. Squaws work up at the American, maybe they'll work down in Stanislaus River.

w2f

RPM
09-01-2005, 09:54 PM
Heythere wading2fish. Just a little info hope it helps. I havnt had much luck at caswell, only been there twice. But just down river a little I have had good luck. I mostly use swim baits and have had results on crawdad lures too.GOOD LUCK AND TIGHT LINES RPM. ;)
By the way what union do you belong too?
I am A Union Millwright Local 102.

wading2fish
09-02-2005, 05:45 AM
Hey RPM,

Thanks for that info, every little bit helps. I have some swim baits also, like I said, I'm gonna try some lures and try to catch some squaws also. I'm gonna try that area you mentioned and also above the park over by Escalon.

Currently I am a Teamster Construction Division for seven years now. Two years ago I got certified in stick welding. My goal is I'm trying to get into Operating Engineers Local 3 with the same company I work for. They can teach everything else on the job except the welding part, so I went to school for a couple of years and got certified. I have done quite a bit of maintenance/fabrication with Local 3 guys so it's already paid off and there are a couple of old guys getting ready to retire, so it's just a matter of time.

You are a Millwright, I am impressed RPM, really. When I was in school my instructor talked about possible professions to get into after welding school and Millwright was one of em. So I know a little about your profession and have some idea of the many skills you need to posses to be able to do your job and welding is just one of em, and you have to master all different processes of welding not just one or two. I am really good at stick, but I also know how to run Fluxcored and MIG. Nice going RPM.

w2f

RPM
09-02-2005, 07:40 AM
yeah they call us THE Jack of all Trades. I kinda stumbled across it after leaving my sheet metal job. my buddy got me in and three days later I found myself at a power plant. good job with the weldig certs. 8) local 3 is a good local I wish you lots of luck in fishing and job. let us know how you do. If you have any questions I will be glad to help if I can RPM