PDA

View Full Version : Fisherman dies retreiving his Rod

kstone44
08-17-2005, 08:32 PM
Its getting tough out there guys the fish are getting smart!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/germany_fish_dc

Christopherjake
08-19-2005, 07:55 AM
Umm....how? why? what the? Enough said.

FishinFool408
08-19-2005, 10:28 AM
From what I understand, a fish took his whole setup into the drink and when he went in to get it, someone noticed he stopped swimming and got him to shore where he was no longer breathing. Sucks! :(

fishrman4life
08-19-2005, 11:47 PM
there is some sort of conspiracy here but i just cant put my finger on it :o

fishguts
08-21-2005, 08:45 AM
I took some guys out off Bodega Bay a few years ago for rockfish and when my rod he had borrowed went into the drink after a fish grabbed it, he wanted to go in after it. I told him no, it wasn't worth it as you can replace a tackle set up but not your life.

jdogg
08-23-2005, 12:28 PM
wow! that's crazy. A couple of years ago a fisherman was found dead with a 25-30 lbs striper wrapped around him, the line was to thick to break so he drowned. that was at Niles,Ca.

wading2fish
08-23-2005, 05:41 PM
When I was a kid I used to go fishing with my dad behind SFO to a place used to be known as Flying Tigers. Flying Tigers is an air freight company and they had their maintenance facility right near the water. You can no longer go there it's fenced off with barbed wire fencing. Anyways, we were soaking squid on the bottom and my dad had his drag way too tight and his pole was just propped up against a rock. All of a sudden a bat ray decides to take the bait, and he ended up taking everything, bait pole and everything. It happened so fast we couldn't even react, we just sat there looking at the pole disappear into the Bay murk :D. We looked at each other and just laughed, the pole disappeared fast, but even if it hadn't it would not be worth the risk going after it. Too bad what happened to that guy in Germany.

w2f

put_em_back
08-23-2005, 08:41 PM
I was an New Melones a few years back and one of the Sheriffs was fishing from shore for trout and something swam by and yanked hid whole rig in. You might think that he went in, but he made a phone call instead. About an hour later a Sheriffs car shows up and a deputy gets out of the car, gets suited up in a wetsuit, dons his weightbelt and tanks. He procedes to walk into the water to get the rod and hangs up on the line about 5 ft from shore. He hadn't even gone under yet.

He brought the rod and reel back - no fish attached and the Sheriff and deputy started talking. After a brief discussion, the deputy went back into the water for about half an hour. Apparently they need to practice scuba for a certain number of hours per year and he was doing his on the water maintenance.

We couldn't stop laughing at the whole episode. Man, to be able to call in search and rescue for your rod is pretty impressive....your tax dollars hard at work.

willbilly
08-24-2005, 10:12 AM
My Cousin went in Loon lake after he was unable to jig the stringer of fish he droped. the fishfinder showed 30' it was July 4th/04.
Nothing to a free dive when he was younger however at age 52 he blew both ear drums and was in pain for a week.