PDA

View Full Version : line size to swivel size

GN.
07-28-2005, 05:42 PM
This may sound like a silly question but I'm going to ask anyway.

What size of swivel are you suposed to use for what pound test line?
For example: I want to use 20# test line and I need to put a swivel on. Do I use a #2,#3,#4 or what? Do they have a rating system for the strength of swivels?

Now I've always just used my best judgement and it's worked just fine, but I'm still curious.

Thanks

chingolingy
07-29-2005, 07:48 PM
Hey dude. Yes swivel size is just as important as line size depending on what type of fish your after. Don't use a trout swivel for sturgeon, and don't use a sturgeon swivel for trout. Just ask the bait shop dudes where ever you buy your gear, but the dudes at Wal mart usually dont know squat.

sigmapirockstar
07-30-2005, 06:18 AM
Chingo is corret, the line size should be in proportion with the swivel. Heavier tackle matches with other heavier tackle.

GN.
07-30-2005, 07:07 AM
I realize that the heavier the line the heavier the swivel etc.. That's not really the question I was asking. I was hoping to see a size chart with strenght ratings. I have quite often seen people using far too heavy of swivel for the line. This question came up because of a discussion with a friend who was using a # 6 swivel on 12# test. I think that is a bit too heavy but he was afraid to go smaller for fear it would be too weak. If I could show him a rating he would realize he could use a far smaller swivel so long as the quality is good. I have looked on some manufacturers websites and havn't seen what I'm looking for.

Thanks

Pimpinmeat
07-30-2005, 11:23 AM
First off, I wouldn't use swivels that don't give you a lb rating. It's a bit pricier but I use Spro swivels, there smaller, do there job, and tell you what the pound rating is. The swivel that are labeled by a number size are not neccessarily bad but don't share the quality of the higher priced swivel.

GN.
07-30-2005, 11:01 PM
pimpinmeat,
Thanks for the info. That's exactly what I was looking for. I went on the "C" site and they list the weight ratings. Fishermans warehouse also carries them I think. I always use high quality swivels but I think I may change if I like what I see. That should also convince my friend to stop using such large swivels. Maybe then he could catch as many fish as me...NAAAHHH..it'll take a lot more than a swivel to make him out fish me...

Tight lines.

drstressor
07-31-2005, 08:09 AM
I use #3 swivels for 12 lb test and #7 for 6-8 lb test. If you use a swivel that is too small, it doesn't do its job.

willbilly
07-31-2005, 08:28 AM
Doc.
Have a brand/S-- you recomend?

drstressor
07-31-2005, 08:47 AM
I use Sampo ball bearing swivels with duo-lock snaps on my main line. These are the ones that do most of the work. The snaps allow me to change leaders quickly. I use plain barrel swivels on my leaders. I never bother about the brand as long as they are black. All of them are much stronger than the leaders anyway. I've never had a barrel swivel break.

For trolling, my leaders are 5-6 ft long. So the size of the swivel doesn't really affect the lure presentation much. I don't use swivels when I rip Rapalas. Just a 60 ft fluoro leader tied to the main line with an Albright knot and a #3 duolock clip at the lure for F13 or larger lures and a #2 for smaller ones.

willbilly
07-31-2005, 09:34 AM
Doc thanks for the fast reply& info.
I know this is a little off the subject, however I am so interested in :

Any opinion on the Luresaver split ring. From the new products article?
The rings are manufactured from flexible shape memory titanium alloy. Applying force will open the ring, when the force is removed, the ring returns to its original shape.
I would consider them on AC plugs and alike that are costly and also my DR ball in maybe the 30# the company recommends 20# for DR balls.
Also would you please expand on the reasoning of the 60 floro leader for rapalas ? and also the ripping technique.

drstressor
07-31-2005, 05:40 PM
Can't comment on the split rings. I've never used them.

The 60' leader is pretty standard for the rippers around here. Rapalas don't spin so you don't need to use a swivel. Ripping is just horizontal jigging from a moving boat. Since ripping is typically done in shallow water and large trout are boat and line shy, the long leader gives a better lure presentation with braided main line. The braided line has little stretch and allows a better hook set when the lure is 250+ ft back.

willbilly
08-01-2005, 07:55 PM
Thanks Doc.,

I was lucky to get out with Mickey T. today and do a little rippin and got some advice on Doc's only one corn per hook method on Apes e- chip ( It worked ) Mickey C&R a nice 2-3 # Mac and we had our limits of Koke by 8:30-ish with Mickeys coaching.. :) what a fun trip on H. Hole. Your board and people are the best.

Regards,
Willbilly*