PDA

View Full Version : Stay in your Boat

jackcasey
07-19-2005, 07:22 AM
Last Week on a Monday while fishing the delta with my son at around 5pm in a remote area, A young kid came running along the bank yelling at us. He stated that his uncle had fallen out of his boat. Wanting to help out I pull up the trolling motor and crank up the motor and head over to a boat we see drifting with the tide. Looking around we don't see anyone near the stranded boat. So we head up the channel and finely we see a guy splashing around a weed bed like a carp tring to get out to our boat. We pick him up and take him back to his boat and tow the boat back to the launch ramp. The part of this story thats important to remember is to never leave your boat if it strands you. This guy jumped out of his boat to push it to the bank but the tide was to strong and it got away from him. He is lucky because at 5pm on a monday there is no boat traffic around and he is stuck on an island in the water. His boat is a mile away. The kid that was with him jumped in the water with a life jacket and swam across the channel to get our help. STAY WITH YOUR BOAT SOMEONE WILL COME ALONG SOONER OR LATER. Oh by the way the bass bite was wide open.

Jack

redherring
07-19-2005, 08:20 AM
Yeah, that delta has some very strong currents especially when the tide is moving. Not too advisable to jump out and try to move your boat, the bottom of the delta is usually pretty muddy and it would be difficult to even get any sort of strong footing to where you could control it anyways, even on a small aluminum boat. That guy is lucky that you were around to help him out.......

dirtydan
07-19-2005, 08:42 AM
I leave my boat every now and again - only if it's anchored. I only go overboard with a safety cushion or life vest - and I toss a ski rope over that floats downstream. The current can move quickly - no doubt.

A couple of lessons here.

Carry a throwable safety cushion. Have a way to contact help if you need it (VHF the best). Know where you are so you can tell others where to find you. Don't purposefully leave the boat without a life jacket or other floatation device. An oar doesn't hurt. Don't make your kids swim for help - that's just plain dangerous.

Rusty_Hooks
07-19-2005, 09:09 AM
People do strange things when they :o PANIC :o.....

Even if your sinking, keeping your cool will save you and others around you.

Being prepared enters into the picture there as well ;)