PDA

View Full Version : Taking a trip tomarrow, 1-29-10

Jsamuel24
01-28-2010, 12:22 PM
Deciding where to launch tomarrow, want to hook up with my first sturgeon. Where do you guys think I should launch,

Garcia Bend
Hogback
Isleton
Rio Vista (depending on the wind report)

Thanks,
Jay

catchayou
01-28-2010, 12:27 PM
I wouldnt launch anywhere in the main river. I would suggest either Hogback or Rio Vista and go into upper Cache Slough, Lindsey, or Shag. THere is too much debris and high flows in the main river for safe boating. Good luck on your first hookup.

alpha8
01-28-2010, 04:08 PM
Garica bend is not a gud spot rite now, saw a guy anchor and a big ass trump hit his boat not gud.

Captn_Jr
01-29-2010, 12:59 AM
I would launch out of pittsburgh and go fish are 51 and the smoke stakes!!!!

Jsamuel24
01-29-2010, 01:28 PM
Went out today, launched from hogback. Water temp was 47-48 degrees. Ran up to Cashe Slough, had a few hits up there, but nothing stuck. decided to move since trees were floating at me. Went back to the mouth of steamboat for nothing, cruised up Steamboat and stoped a few places. Had a few hits but like normal I couldnt get one to stick with a hook. Think I may go back to targeting stripers since sturgeon just keep making me frustrated. lol

Jay

catchayou
01-29-2010, 01:38 PM
sturgeon just keep making me frustrated.lol
Keep trying and you will eventually be rewarded. Most people put in a lot of time before catching their first sturgeon. You have to put the time in and be very patient. I will sit still and watch my pole for hours waiting for that bite. You never know when it will come, but the payoff is worth the effort.

Jsamuel24
01-29-2010, 01:45 PM
Going on 3 years without getting one atm :P hence the frustration. your right though

catchayou
01-29-2010, 01:50 PM
Have you been fishing with anyone that has caught them or knows how, when, where? It really helps to learn from someone that has.

Jsamuel24
01-29-2010, 01:59 PM
I have been fishing with people who "Say" they have caught them, and "say" they know how, but I havent seen any proof of it lol.

catchayou
01-29-2010, 02:18 PM
ya thats funny. THere are alot of things to take into consideration. Do research, talk to people, fish different areas. Try bank fishing, I caught them off the bank before i caught one from a boat. It is different catching them on the bank and boat. You have to also think about. where they will be traveling when you position your boat. If you are out in the middle of a body of water they may be swimming past you on the sides. Look for channels on your ff and fish those or the ledges along the sides. Fish the beginnings and endings of the tides. I have found the second half of the outgoing and first half of incoming to be productive. Put serious time into a spot that u think has fish. Good luck

Jsamuel24
01-29-2010, 02:21 PM
Yeah thats mostly the problem I think. First 2.9 years of the attemps were from the bank, then I got my boat in december so I started trying from the boat. One thing I need to do is get better sonar as the one I have is horrid. I really just need to talk someone from Sniffer into coming with me sometime to help me out I think. lol

catchayou
01-29-2010, 02:29 PM
I just upgraded to a better sonar unit before this season. You really can find fish with them. Getting them to bite is another story. lol You ever fish Montezuma Slough?

Jsamuel24
01-29-2010, 02:31 PM
I havent yet, Since I got layed off work yesterday that is a bit more in gas money then i should spend. What sonar did you upgrade to? Right now I am using an old Humminbird 300TX

catchayou
01-29-2010, 02:37 PM
I had the cheapest piece of junk humminbird makes for like $50. I spent $400 and got a color screen Garmin 300c. You can see the sturgeon on the bottom, they look like arches. Sorry about the layoff. I havent been working either so my fishing trips are going to be limited too. It is expensive to go to Montezuma. You can catch sturgeon within a few minutes from the launch though. By the way i only got my boat last year. I thought i would just go out there and magically start catching sturgeon. It took me quite awhile to figure out how to anchor, navigate, setup and fish properly. Once you learn all that you will be confident every time you go out.

Jsamuel24
01-29-2010, 02:41 PM
I have looked at the 300c what do you think about it. is it worth it or should i get a Lowrance for the boat? Right now ( with my crappy sonar) I have been looking at the drop offs and what not. When I find a spot with a drop off, going up river till it bottoms out, then setting anchor so i end up right at the edge of the drop off so the lines end up on the decent. Prolly all wrong I am sure lol.

catchayou
01-29-2010, 02:47 PM
I like my sonar. Lowrance is probably the best money can buy though. It sounds like you have been anchoring in a good area. Fishing right at the bottom of that ledge where it starts to flatten out. Sometimes I just pull up into the tules or bushes and tie off, then fish off the back like im bank fishing. This works in when you have trouble anchoring because of wind or lack of current. You may have to use a little more weight but your bait will usually end up right at the apex of the bottom and rise of the ledge. Sit and wait, set hook and hold on.

Jsamuel24
01-29-2010, 02:51 PM
I may give it another try monday or tuesday. Its funny, I am honestly almost ready to just leave my boat at the house and go back bank fishing :P have only caught 7 fish in like 10 trips since I got the boat. 6 small Catfish and a Splittail. So maybe my boat is bad luck.

catchayou
01-29-2010, 02:58 PM
I felt the same way when i got my boat. It is just a whole other game than bank fishing. It takes time to get used to. I still bank fish all the time. Start fishing Lisbon Slough in the next few weeks and you will have a good chance at a sturgeon. Dont give up on the boat though.

Jsamuel24
01-29-2010, 02:59 PM
I still am not sure where Lisbon slough is.

catchayou
01-29-2010, 03:01 PM
West Sacramento off Enterprise Blvd to Seaport Ct. walk over the levee pick a spot.

Ondabank
01-30-2010, 08:11 AM
I still am not sure where Lisbon slough is.

Look at google maps. Lisbon is the small slough that runs parallel to the deep water channel.