PDA

View Full Version : HDS Still New...Still Buggy

ReelJerks
01-12-2010, 02:42 AM
Not so much buggy as I make it out to be. Here are 4 screen capture shots from last Saturday, with brief explainations.

This is a shot where I switched the 'ducer. On the left is the OEM product and on the right is the Airmar.
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh252/eddallen/Screen%20Shots/shot-16.gif

Going across ZEBE, still using the Airmar.
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh252/eddallen/Screen%20Shots/shot-17.gif

The next 2 captures show stray noise I'm getting from other boats. This particular boat had an old Johnson motor. This first shot, the boat is about 300' away.
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh252/eddallen/Screen%20Shots/shot-4.gif

And in this shot the boat is about 100' away. You'll notice that I switched back to the Airmar 'ducer to see if the noise changed. It didn't! One nice concolation is I'm able to see all 4 rigger weights. The shallowest weight is hidden in the surface noise at 20 feet.
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh252/eddallen/Screen%20Shots/shot-6.gif

I now have 12v power in my house and it's nice to D/L these screen shots inside, and also learn more of the menu system and play with my settings. All in all I'm very happy with this unit, with the exception of the outside noise.

Currently I'm running the 2 'ducers off of a switch. I think I'll bypass the switch and connect each 'ducer direct. Maybe use OEM out and the Airmar back while following the same trail.

Edd

retired
01-12-2010, 04:35 AM
Edd
So do you think the Airmar was worth the purchase? I finally took my boat out yesterday and played with my HDS7. Still alot to learn, but I think it will be a good unit. I did notice that when I keyed my radio it did interfere with the graph. I had that same problem with the old unit.So I moved the radio away from the new unit, but it still does the same thing. Have any Idea on how to fix the problem?* Retired

ReelJerks
01-12-2010, 05:14 AM
Edd
So do you think the Airmar was worth the purchase? I finally took my boat out yesterday and played with my HDS7. Still alot to learn, but I think it will be a good unit. I did notice that when I keyed my radio it did interfere with the graph. I had that same problem with the old unit.So I moved the radio away from the new unit, but it still does the same thing. Have any Idea on how to fix the problem?* Retired

It is more likely the antenna or coax creating the interference. My VHF is DIRECTLY under my sonar. Make sure the transducer cable is as far away as you can get it from the antenna or VHF lead.

Yes the Airmar was worth it. I have since used custom settings and got off the auto mode. But even in the auto mode I liked the Airmar better.

Let me ask you.....do you find any screen noise when you get close to another boat? Not the transducer noise, but real screen noise.

Edd

GN.
01-12-2010, 07:22 AM
Edd
Is your HDS on a dedicated power source? If it's connected to the same power source it may cause the same effect. You need a clean power source.

ReelJerks
01-12-2010, 07:25 AM
Edd
Is your HDS on a dedicated power source? If it's connected to the same power source it may cause the same effect. You need a clean power source.

Well yes mine is, but I can't speak for the OTHER BOATS that are the cause.

Edd

tjfish
01-12-2010, 09:04 AM
Edd,
Thanks for sharing your experience and tests with the ducers and HDS software. Very informative and useful info.

GN.
01-12-2010, 12:25 PM
Edd

Well yes mine is, but I can't speak for the OTHER BOATS that are the cause.

Edd

I was actually asking about retired's boat, but since you mention it did you get your hands on the sheilded wire you were looking for?

I was thinking about it and I don't recall any screen noise on mine when I've been around other boats.

ReelJerks
01-13-2010, 01:24 AM
This is really strange GN. No I didn't get any shielded wire, after moving my power lead from the fuse black to bat term, I stopped my noise. This noise definitely comes from those 2 other boats. When they went away.....the noise went with them. Very strange.

I have plenty of questions for the Sac ISE Lowrance guys.

Edd

retired
01-13-2010, 06:36 AM
We were not around other boats. so I did not see any noise on the graph. My old unit would show noise when we were kokanee fishing and boats were close by. I will check the lead to my graph. I think they are to the batt. It could be the coex cable from my antenna. it lays about 15 in from the graph. TY

GN.
01-13-2010, 09:09 AM
Skallywag, I wonder if your finder is picking up some crosstalk from the other boats fishfinder. The Lowrance site says that can happen if you try to run two fishfinders using the same frequency. It describes vertical lines like your picture. Here's what it says. Who knows?

Anytime you use multiple transducers (sounders) of the same frequency, it is possible for them to interfere with each other. This is despite any specified distance between them as coverage areas and depth of water generally allow each to crosstalk. This appears as two specific fault indications. Dark vertical bars will appear on one sounder displaying the transmit burst of the other sounder. This cannot be changed but it is more livable than the other fault. If one unit picks up the echo return of the other unit, it can rapidly change from reading 20-30 feet to suddenly indicating 300- then 500- then 800 feet etc.

This effect can be reduced or eliminated using the ping speed controls of our latest models of sonar devices. When a unit jumps depth ranges, adjust the ping speed 1 setting slower, this will change the rep rate, and cycle time so that the sonar devices cannot sink up together. This will reduce or completely eliminate this problem.

GN.
01-13-2010, 09:16 AM
Retired, Definitly isolate the power source for your finder and your Vhf. That's the most likely source. If that's not it I would do what I could to separate the coax. You may not be able to do that. If not there are ways. My co-worker was just dealing with radio interference on the CB radios they run on their motorcycles. His was picking up stray RFI from the engine. He had to install a resistor in the power supply to solve his problem. It was a $2 fix in the end.

ReelJerks
01-13-2010, 09:48 AM
I changed the transducer from 200 kHz to 50 just to see, plus, the distance was so great....300+ feet. I am baffled and I really appreciate your research. I didn't change the ping speed on the lake, but I have changed it since. I probably won't go again until after the ISE show.* Maybe I'll see you there* [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Edd

retired
01-13-2010, 11:38 AM
I checked my wiring. Both the graph and radio go straight to the battery. This used to happen with my old graph also. The coax from the radio is wound up and tied with a wire tie. I never cut the coax cable down when I put it in the boat. So I have about 15ft of cable I really do not need. Retired

GN.
01-14-2010, 08:46 AM
Retired,
I asked one of the engineers at work that knows this kind of stuff well. Based on our conversation I would first want to make sure the power wires are a suffecient gage. Second would be to try moving your Vhf antenna to see if that effects the problem. Maybe try it in the driveway with both on and temporarily move the antenna to different locations while keying up the mic. Good luck.