PDA

View Full Version : Lowrance/Eagle Down Time

Seon
12-18-2009, 11:51 PM
Has anyone ever sent their Lowrance or Eagle sonar head back to be repaired? If so, how long a wait was it before you got it back? I was told 4-6 weeks...is that about right?

Before anyone ask, no my unit isn't going back, a friend asked me to check for him.

ReelJerks
12-19-2009, 01:36 AM
Depends on which unit. If he checks with Navico he can see that ALL but the HDS units are listed as DISCONTINUED. Some of the Legacy units like the LCX's are still available for replacement. If it is a replacement situation it usually takes 6 - 10 weeks.
Not sure if it's a repair situation.

Edd

Seon
12-19-2009, 08:04 AM
Thanks Skally, yes it's an LCX113C HD. The tech told me that they'd run a bench text which consist of a "soft re-set" but if that doesn't work,they won't even bother opening up the unit, they'll just order a new replacement head.

Fishmeister
12-22-2009, 04:19 AM
If you haven't tried already, try the other slot. My HDS-10 wouldn't load from the left slot, as looking at it, but when I put the SD card into the right slot it worked fine.

ReelJerks
12-22-2009, 05:16 AM
If you haven't tried already, try the other slot.* My HDS-10 wouldn't load from the left slot, as looking at it, but when I put the SD card into the right slot it worked fine.

I have heard this before. However, my HDS-10 loads from both card slots.

Edd

Dennis
12-22-2009, 09:51 AM
Try cleaning the contacts on the SD card with a pencil eraser.

Seon
12-22-2009, 11:20 AM
The problem is in the GPS internal unit, not the SD card slots.

I have an LCX112C FF/GPS on my boat and I know that its working so I decided to connect this LCX113c HD on my boat.* The screen read "No GPS connection" but the sonar worked. Replace the unit with mine which received the GPS signal and the sonar performed as expected.

I called Lowrance, spoke to the technical dept who suggested that I perform a soft re-set and stayed on the phone to walk me thru.* Following his instructions, he guided me to press the "Page" button and "power" button at the same time then releasing them both when the map appeared.* The screen still read, "No GPS Connection".*

At this point he concluded that the unit had to be shipped back and they'll perform the same soft reset and if that doesn't work, then they'll order a new head replacement.* He further stated that they don't open the unit to perform internal test and in order to expedite the return process, that I include a check for $500 in an envelope, write the return authorization number on the envelope and tape it to the unit. Otherwise, once they receive the unit, perform the soft reset, which btw is their standard procedure, then they'll call to say that it'll cost $500 for a new replacement head.

I passed all this information to my friend who owns it and he said that he'll decide what he's going to do after the holidays.

Thanks to all who replied.

ReelJerks
12-22-2009, 12:13 PM
The problem is in the GPS internal unit, not the SD card slots.

I have an LCX112C FF/GPS on my boat and I know that its working so I decided to connect this LCX113c HD on my boat.* The screen read "No GPS connection" but the sonar worked. Replace the unit with mine which received the GPS signal and the sonar performed as expected.

I called Lowrance, spoke to the technical dept who suggested that I perform a soft re-set and stayed on the phone to walk me thru.* Following his instructions, he guided me to press the "Page" button and "power" button at the same time then releasing them both when the map appeared.* The screen still read, "No GPS Connection".*

At this point he concluded that the unit had to be shipped back and they'll perform the same soft reset and if that doesn't work, then they'll order a new head replacement.* He further stated that they don't open the unit to perform internal test and in order to expedite the return process, that I include a check for $500 in an envelope, write the return authorization number on the envelope and tape it to the unit. Otherwise, once they receive the unit, perform the soft reset, which btw is their standard procedure, then they'll call to say that it'll cost $500 for a new replacement head.

I passed all this information to my friend who owns it and he said that he'll decide what he's going to do after the holidays.

Thanks to all who replied.

Seon,* Does your boat also have an internal GPS module? Here's why I ask....If your unit has an internal module such as your friends, the test is invalid since each unit is 'stand alone'. On the other hand, if your boat has an external GPS module, and you didn't change the SOURCE setting for the 113, again your test is invalid for the problem stated. The SOURCE must be changed to 'External Module', or you will get the No GPS Connection error.

Now, about the bench testing. I sent the unit from my pontoon boat in October for sporadic behavior. Navico received the unit in 5 days, tested in 3 days, and notified me by phone that the head unit had a faulty heat sink and they would order a replacement. This diagnosis can't be substantiated with a simple 'soft' or 'hard' reset.

Just in case anyone is getting strange thoughts about me, I replaced this unit with the head unit off my houseboat. That is the head unit that was stolen in October. >:(

I'm not trying to change your friends mind, quite the opposite, I would get it to Navico ASAP. My guess is they will replace these units as long as they have parts to build complete head units. After that.....toast, and that's why we are toying with upgrading the houseboat to HDS and not even installing the LCX replacement.

Luck to your friend,
Edd

Seon
12-23-2009, 12:16 AM
Skally, yes both have an external module.
I'll recommend to my friend to send the head in ASAP.
Thanks for your suggestions and comments.

ReelJerks
12-23-2009, 01:38 AM
The problem is in the GPS internal unit,

Skally, yes both have an external module.*

The SOURCE must be changed to 'External Module', or you will get the No GPS Connection error.

I'm more confused now than at birth* [smiley=outcold.gif]

Edd

ReelJerks
12-23-2009, 02:30 AM
Here's the thing.....I'm at work and I just can't sleep because of this problem, so I looked a little further.

I can not find any LCX units with an INTERNAL GPS. So I'm baffled that the Navico Tech would even mention internal GPS, unless they think it is a connector problem.

I don't claim to know more than the Navico staff, so if the unit does indeed have an INTERNAL GPS, have your friend activate the LGC module. He should find this info under the NMEA settings, and if he can't find it, there is NO internal GPS.

But Seon, will you keep us in the loop on this one?

Thanks,
Edd

Seon
12-23-2009, 11:11 AM
... there is NO internal GPS.

But Seon, will you keep us in the loop on this one?

Thanks,
Edd

Just a clarification...the Tech said that they don't open the unit (internal) to troubleshoot.* They only perform a soft re-set (external) and if that doesn't "fix" the problem, then they order a new head replacement.

Now get some sleep http://www.anglernet.net/forums/images/smilies/tongue.gif

ReelJerks
12-24-2009, 01:27 AM
Just a clarification...the Tech said that they don't open the unit (internal) to troubleshoot.* They only perform a soft re-set (external) and if that doesn't "fix" the problem, then they order a new head replacement.

Now get some sleep http://www.anglernet.net/forums/images/smilies/tongue.gif

Just remember, this is the same tech that said it was an INTERNAL GPS problem. I'm wondering how that can be* :-? if there is NO internal GPS.

Have your friend go to the Navico site, click on the SUPPORT tab and set up a consumer account. This way he can track his RMA on line.

A very merry Christmas to you and yours Seon.
See you on the water,
Edd* [smiley=sleepy.gif]