PDA

View Full Version : HDS-5 and P66 transducer

kaliona
11-10-2009, 06:55 AM
I finally placed my order for the HDS-5 and the Airmar P-66 transducer. I hope these two will work well together. For those of you who already have the P-66, how accurate is the speed sensor? My current sonar has a paddle wheel that gives me a reading of 42 mph when my boat speedometer (hooked to the pitot tube) indicates I'm going about 30 mph. I was told by the manufacturer (when I originally bought the unit) that the paddle wheel is designed mainly for trolling speeds so the higher speeds would not be accurate.

Any input on the accuracy of the P-66 and if the paddle wheel is also only accurate at slower speeds?

ReelJerks
11-10-2009, 07:33 AM
I get my speed from my GPS. It's very accurate.

Edd

kaliona
11-10-2009, 07:40 AM
I realize you can use the GPS for speed, but when trolling, you want the speed over water, not over land. The GPS will work great on lakes where there is no current, but in the Delta I would want the speed from the paddle wheel because of the currents involved.

ReelJerks
11-10-2009, 08:39 AM
Every lake that is fed by a river or streams and has an outlet will have a current. I fish with riggers and current is not so much a force to reckon with. I doubt you can find a paddle wheel that is as accurate as a quality GPS.
I see where the current may come into play with spinners and some dodgers. But tell me, how do you tell the current strength at 45 feet OTW vs the current strength in the top 1 foot of water where your paddle wheel is located?
If the current is a big issue for your type of fishing, you should invest in a FishHawk or the likes. Other than that I don't see any advantage of a paddle wheel speed-O.

Edd

Carlos
11-10-2009, 08:58 AM
Man,I was just gonna ask the same question. I bought the "Nautic" HD-S 5 without transducer because I preferred an aftermarket transducer. I read on here that the P66 transducer was the way too go. Where do I order one and how much are they? Can you buy them in person or is it an online thing? The "Nautic" HDS came with a 50/200 transducer but since I don't fish in deep water/Ocean(mainly Bay/Delta 2ft.-70ft.) I have no use for it. An 83/200 is for shallower water right? Is their other 83/200 transducers that are compatible with the HD-S? Sorry for all the questions...just trying to make the right decision.

ReelJerks
11-10-2009, 09:35 AM
I'll tell you what I ordered....the HDS-10 with Lake Insight and the 83/200 kHz ducer. I already purchased the P66 Airmar and have it mounted. I'm very happy with the P66 and, I only ordered the 83/200 because it was ONLY $50 more. In very shallow water, 'if it was me', I would order the P45w when it is available for Lowrance. The 'w' means wide area. In another thread I suggested it should have been called the Delta Transducer.

Edd

Carlos
11-10-2009, 09:47 AM
I'll tell you what I ordered....the HDS-10 with Lake Insight and the 83/200 kHz ducer. I already purchased the P66 Airmar and have it mounted. I'm very happy with the P66 and, I only ordered the 83/200 because it was ONLY $50 more. In very shallow water, 'if it was me', I would order the P45w when it is available for Lowrance. The 'w' means wide area. In another thread I suggested it should have been called the Delta Transducer.

Edd

So do u think the 50/200 will mark just fine in the shallows(Southbay sloughs)? You willing too sell the 83/200 that came with your unit? It should fit the 5 right? Is their other good aftermarket 83/200 transducers that I can buy from a west marine or some other outlet that will perform as good or better than the stock one?

GN.
11-10-2009, 11:21 AM
I have the HDS-7 with the 83/200 ducer and I added a paddle wheel to mine. The speed reading by GPS is very accurate. The thing to remember is that it tells you your speed over earth not water. Fishing lakes or any place with little or no current I would use the GPS for speed. The paddle wheel gives you speed through water. I understand it can be calibrated as well but haven't tried that yet. At striper trolling speeds the paddle wheel is reasonably accurate. Trout trolling speeds are a little low for the paddle wheel to be very accurate. Trolling in the river the GPS speed isn't nearly as useful. At slack tide it would be fine but as soon as the water starts flowing you'd have to switch to the paddle wheel if you have one. It seems to work well for striper trolling. I know there are other devices out there for giving low speed readings but I don't have experience using them.

I'd love to see the difference between the HDS with the standard 83/200 ducer and the P66 50/200. The difference between my old unit and the HDS is night and day so far.

The 83/200 transducer is the same tranducer as the 200khz units have always used. It's the HST-WSBL Part #106-72. If you're upgrading from a lowrance that has the blue connectors it should plug right in and work perfectly. The standard 200khz transducer operates in two different ways to make the two separate frequencies. The axial mode provides the 200 kHz operation and the Planar (Radial mode) provides the 83 kHz.

skallywag, are you going to put both transducers on your boat with a switch?

retired
11-10-2009, 11:25 AM
When I troll in the delta for stripers. I watch the tip of my rod. If it has good action going with the current or going into the current that is all I care about.With my new graph. I don't think I will put a new paddle wheel on my boat. The only time I want to know my speed is if Iam kokanee fishing. Then I used my lure Jensen speed troll tool.Kaliona hope you enjoy your new graph. And Carlos you can buy the P66 transducer from Boemarine.com. It cost $125 and no tax or shipping cost.

kaliona
11-10-2009, 12:01 PM
I used to think the GPS speed, as accurate as it is, would be the way to go to determine trolling speed.* But after reading many threads on why one should rely on the paddle wheel when trolling in currents in the delta, I have to say I agree with it.

GN touched on it, but here's just one of the many threads on paddle wheel vs GPS speed in the Delta.
http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?num=1238640642/4#4
Made a lot of sense to me.

It will be interesting to see when I get my HDS-5 if you can see both the paddle wheel speed and GPS speed at the same time and see if there is a big difference.* I'm sure there will be.

retired
11-11-2009, 12:43 AM
It should show as ground speed &water speed. That was the way it showed up on my old graph. And it could be a big difference. If the current was moving fast. I will try my graph for a while and then decide if I need the water speed.

ReelJerks
11-11-2009, 01:16 AM
So do u think the 50/200 will mark just fine in the shallows(Southbay sloughs)? You willing too sell the 83/200 that came with your unit? It should fit the 5 right? Is their other good aftermarket 83/200 transducers that I can buy from a west marine or some other outlet that will perform as good or better than the stock one?
Here is the main thing to remember if you are ONLY fishing the shallows. Don't buy the dual 50/200 freq. ducer. On the 200 side you are only getting a 12 degree cone, or 11 degree with the P66. If you buy the single 200 kHz ducer your getting a wider 20 degree cone. better for shallows.
No my 83/200 is not for sale.

skallywag, are you going to put both transducers on your boat with a switch?*
Yes, both will be mounted and I'm thinking about getting the switch.

Edd

GN.
11-11-2009, 05:02 AM
Yes, both will be mounted and I'm thinking about getting the switch.

Edd

The best of both worlds. I may do that some day. I'll see how well the stock transducer does first.

retired
11-19-2009, 03:56 AM
Kaliona.
Did you get your new graph yet? I still have not had time to take mine out. Now with thanksgiving here next week it looks like it will be a bit longer before I get out to fish. Retired.

ReelJerks
11-19-2009, 05:56 AM
Yes my new HDS is here and I'll start installation this Sunday afternoon. I made some major changes in equipment and locations so it will probably take me a couple weekends to finish.

I'll submit pics when done.

Edd

kaliona
11-21-2009, 05:03 AM
Retired:
I'm still waiting on my HDS from BOE Marine.* It was on back order and was supposed to be available on the 12th, but it looks like I may have to wait til the 27th* :'(* I've already recieved my P66 so maybe I'll just mount that while I wait for my HDS to arrive.* I sure hope this P66 is worth the extra moola.* I'm also getting the 83/200kHz ducer with my HDS-5 so I'll be able to compare.

Carlos
11-22-2009, 02:35 PM
Did you guys run the transducer wire with the rest of you're boats wires? I have to run mine thru the pvc pipe inside of the hull that leads to the center console and it's filled with wires,will it interfere with my sonar picture? Is there some kind of wire insulation they sell so I can wrap it before running it thru?

ReelJerks
11-23-2009, 01:25 AM
Did you guys run the transducer wire with the rest of you're boats wires? I have to run mine thru the pvc pipe inside of the hull that leads to the center console and it's filled with wires,will it interfere with my sonar picture? Is there some kind of wire insulation they sell so I can wrap it before running it thru?

What type of boat are you installing this on? Aluminum? Can you show us a pic? You can buy 'shield' to wrap the ducer cable, but it's very very costly. You may hear some stories about wrapping it with aluminum foil, but I'm not sure what that will do...if anything. You really don't want to run alongside any DC electrical wires but it's really not the end of the world if you do. AC wires and VHF antenna leads are the bad ones to run near your ducer wire.

Edd

Carlos
11-23-2009, 10:16 AM
Yeah,my cousin also mentioned aluminum foil. This is going in a 17' Center Console Fiberglass Wahoo!.

ReelJerks
11-23-2009, 12:49 PM
As I said earlier, it won't be the end of the world. If that's the only route, that's the ONLY route and you will do as many have already. What I would worry about is the VHF antenna lead. Is it in this race also? You can always change it if noise becomes a problem

Edd

part_timer
11-24-2009, 12:20 AM
Try adding some ferrite cores to the cable as it goes in and comes out of the tube. They are pretty good for reducing RF noise which is what you shoud be concerned with. You can get them at radio shack or and electronics sotr.