PDA

View Full Version : Hummin' Bird question

Dogface
11-12-2009, 03:08 AM
This may relate to other FF's but I have a HB 797c2 which came installed on my boat when I bought it slightly used a year or so ago. I know most guys use and recommend Lowrance.

My HH has a feature they call 'Fish ID+' which shows fish as fish symbols in different sizes and depths. Colors as well, which relate to whether they are wide or narrow beam.

My question is, would it be more accurate to have this feature turned off and just look at the raw sonar data? :-/

I was told, I think, that some can tell the difference between species of fish by looking at the raw data but dunno if I could really learn that w/o spending a LOT of time looking at this as the pro guys do.

ReelJerks
11-12-2009, 03:21 AM
This can get rather sticky, but if you want to see FISH you need to learn how to read the sonar marks. Turn OFF the Fish ID and Fish Alarms. Nobody learns to read a sonar right out of the box. It take lots of time, but is well worth your efforts.

Edd

Dogface
11-12-2009, 03:33 AM
Thanks Edd....just as I thought ;)

drstressor
11-12-2009, 10:59 PM
The screen display on a Humminbird is not affected when you turn on Fish ID. You will just see the fish symbols and depth of the target above any arches. By default, Humminbird uses sophisticated signal processing to give you a clean screen with very little clutter. Sometimes this results in the loss of useful information such as the presence of a thermocline layer. In January, Humminbird will have a free software update for your unit that will have a feature they call Switchfire. It gives you the option of displaying less processed screen information. You can have your display look just like a Lowrance if you wish.

The January software update for many side imaging units will have another really cool feature called Down Imaging that will give you a picture like representation of whatever is below your boat:

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk165/Humminbird_greg/Humminbird_DI-1.jpg

ReelJerks
11-13-2009, 12:44 AM
The screen display on a Humminbird is not affected when you turn on Fish ID.

Yup!* HB has been trying to sell that for too many years. Long enough that their patent protection has expired, soooo, I'm thinking if there was enough to this, other manufacturers would have jumped on board by now. Doesn't seem to be the case yet.

Doc....can you split the screen and show us real time shots of both fish ID and Raw? That would be interesting.

I only know Lowrance well. And with Lowrance you can run the sensitivity higher in the raw mode rather than with Fish ID. For me, that is an advantage.

I think SemperFiFishing has a Furuno unit and I would like to know what he, (and other Furuno owners) thinks of the Furuno in Fish ID mode.

Fish ID...No Fish ID? I guess it's a matter of knowing your sonar unit.

Edd

D.C.
11-13-2009, 12:55 PM
I have a 585 Furuno color unit with a p66 trans'dr that has taken me about a year to to really learn how to use. It was in my Design Concept when I bought it last year, I have always used Lowrance in the past and think they are one of the best units out there , but if this Furuno ever dies I'm sure I would buy another one, as far as using fish symbols compared to arches I prefer the later, arches don't lie, just my thoughts,
Bill

drstressor
11-13-2009, 11:22 PM
Doc....can you split the screen and show us real time shots of both fish ID and Raw? That would be interesting.

That can't be done. The fish ID function is either on or off for all windows. But I have turned the function on and off over fish often enough to assure you that nothing changes on the screen except for the fish symbols appearing over the arches. In my experience, this is only true for Humminbird machines. Using fish ID with other brands that don't show a clean screen by default results in the lose of detail.

The Humminbird fish ID algorithm is really good. In many cases, it will allow you to distinguish fish from bottom features that produce arches. For example, in the 2D color image I posted, the tree branches produce arches that might be fish. The Humminbird fish ID would not identify those arches as fish. Others brands such as Lowrance would show them as fish. The only thing that seems to fool the Humminbird ID function are near vertical walls with boulders and weeds. There is no reason not to use fish ID with a Humminbird.

I had a Furuno unit on a previous boat in Florida and it was the best color scope I have ever owned.* Furunos come stock with better transducers that allow smaller targets to be discriminated. Their connectors and internal components also hold up much better in a saltwater environment than Humminbird, Lowrance, or Raymarine. They are probably overkill for freshwater unless you are fishing very deep for macks. The only thing that I didn't like about the Furuno is that I had to put in a lot of time tuning it correctly for whatever depth that I fished. Maybe the newer units are different and easier to use.

ReelJerks
11-14-2009, 08:26 AM
That can't be done. Yes Doc it would require 2 processors. Just a little forum stand-up from yours truly.

For example, in the 2D color image I posted, the tree branches produce arches that might be fish. The Humminbird fish ID would not identify those arches as fish. Others brands such as Lowrance would show them as fish.
I have never experienced that with any of My Lowrance units, using any of their OEM ducers. This may happen for people keep the unit in auto mode.

There is no reason not to use fish ID with a Humminbird.
I'll pass this info around to the houseboats owners. They will be glad to hear they can get solid sonar info and keep their wives happy with the fishie symbols and alarms. I have actually seen them reel up on the starboard side and drop down on the port, because the 'fish finder' showed the fish moving to that side. ;)

Good HB info Doc, Thanks

Edd