PDA

View Full Version : New Hds 7

retired
11-07-2009, 07:20 AM
I finally received my new graph. and I answered my own question. If you get the insight usa in the unit. You will have all the contours for the delta plus all the lakes. So it looks like I will not have to buy the card after all. I can spend the money on more fishing gear. Now I wil take the boat out and see how the graph works looking for fish. Maybe even catch a striper or two. Thanks again to all of you for your answers . Retired :)

GN.
11-07-2009, 09:01 AM
Let us know what you think. Have fun with the new toy.

kaliona
11-07-2009, 09:58 AM
Hey Retired,
Congrats on getting your new toy. I'm waiting for my HDS-5 to arrive but I plan on getting the Navionics Hot Maps West instead of Lowrance's Nautic Insight. Maybe we can compare screen shots of a particular area of the delta and you'll see the difference in contour detail between the two. The Navionics card will cost me an extra $150, but there's a rebate available for $50 until the end of the year.
Let us know how you like the unit after you get out there.

retired
11-08-2009, 05:43 AM
You should compare the price difference. I think you would save money if you just bought the insight usa. I bought my graph from boemarine. com. They had the best prices. But you may be right about the hot map. I was setting in my boat in the garage and brought up the delta down by light 17. zoom in and seen all the contours. I will let you know how I like the unit.* Retired

kaliona
11-08-2009, 10:24 AM
Sitting in your boat in the garage???? With your new sonar/gps??? That's just not right...especially with a name like "Retired" ;D
I can't wait to get my HDS and see if it really makes a difference in distinguishing floating debris and fish. I went out today and trolled Grant Line Canal and marked a lot of fish...or my Eagle fish finder tells me so.

Retired, did you get the Airmar P66 transducer? If so, do you see any difference?

Gadabout
11-09-2009, 09:53 AM
Retired, where is Boemarine? Do they have a # to call.

Gadabout
11-09-2009, 10:00 AM
Retired went to the site, didn't show any HD7

GN.
11-09-2009, 01:46 PM
Retired, where is Boemarine? Do they have a # to call.

Retired went to the site, didn't show any HD7

Click this link.
http://www.boemarine.com/searchresults.aspx?SearchText=lowrance+hds-7

retired
11-10-2009, 12:36 AM
GN has the webstie right. Just click on lowrance and scrool down you will find then. I did not buy the airmar transducer. Jim at boemarine said I would be better off with a 83/200 transducer. I just fish the delta and some lakes in the foothills. The airmar P66 is better if you do ocean fishing in deep water. If airmar makes a 83/200 I will probaly buy one then. I think there* transducer qualitiy is better then Lowarance. Now if I can just find time to go fishing and try the new graph. Wife has me doing work around the house. We have all the family coming down for thanksgiving. Retired :)

Gadabout
11-11-2009, 12:07 PM
What the HEY HEY :-? I was looking into a new FF, like the HD7 but with all this talk about 83/200 and P66 Mix and match on the FF I found this to be very confusing. Just want a good FF for the Delta, Sacto river along with lakes like New Melones and Pardee :o :o

GN.
11-11-2009, 01:21 PM
The HDS-7 with the stock 83/200 transducer is the better setup for shallow water. Shallow being anything under 100'. It will obviously still work past 100'. It may just not be as ideal as the P66 in deep applications.

The P66 (50/200kHz) has a somewhat narrow cone angle at 200kHz for fishing shallow water. (12 deg) It's intended use is deeper water and saltwater. The 50kHz setting penetrates better in saltwater that the 200kHz.* There are advantages to a narrow cone angle in deeper water. There's no question in my mind than the P66 is a better quality unit but it's not for all applications.

In the end I think the HDS unit is a great unit for what you say you like to do. I would go with the stock 83/200 transducer given where you say you're going to fish.

I hope this helps.

Gadabout
11-12-2009, 01:32 AM
THANK YOU GN IT DOES

ReelJerks
11-12-2009, 02:23 AM
OK guys.....listen real close. Unless you are using a SINGLE frequency 200kHz ducer, you are only getting a 12* cone angle! The Airmar P66 gives you a 11* cone angle on the 200 kHz side. A difference of 1* which we mere mortals won't be able to discern.

The below is from Lowrance.
Cone Angle
A transducer's cone angle determines its coverage area of the underwater world. The wider the cone angle, the greater the area that's covered. We offer a variety of 200 kHz transducers with either a wide (20) or narrow (12) cone angle. The 50 kHz transducers come with a 35 cone angle. The dual-frequency transducers come with both a narrow (12) 200 kHz and a wide (35) 50 kHz cone angles. And the dual-search transducers come with both a narrow (12) 200 kHz and a wide (35) 83 kHz cone angles.

I don't understand why this is so difficult to grasp.

Maybe this.....if you are using the little bitty ducer it has a 20* cone angle. If you are using the bigger 50/200 ducer you have a 12* cone angle.

Hope this clears this up a little.

Edd