PDA

View Full Version : Montezuma Slough update 8-16

pkrainert
08-16-2009, 09:25 AM
Only for a couple hours while we had a baby sitter, we only caught one Striper about 15 inches long. Had a ton of bits all day but were all babies. Untill right before we had to go I had a huuuge bite... I stuck it but then it came off my hook.... There was a decent sized sturgeon jumping the whole time we were there.

GOT2FISH510
08-20-2009, 08:56 AM
I cant wait until the striper start moving in Montezuma Slough. My favorite spot in the Delta the mouth of the Montezuma Slough. When they come in they come in schoolllllls. SO FUN.

pkrainert
08-26-2009, 05:47 AM
Yea I think i am done bank fishing for a while, everytime I take the boat out I have great success and from the bank not so much! Just hate to hook the boat up for short trips!

slowriprun
08-26-2009, 10:31 AM
Pk,,,There's no doubt that being in a boat gives you more chances at fish, 90% of the time...However,,once you dial in a spot from shore,,you can kill em there too...

GT
08-27-2009, 12:06 AM
Shore fishing the Montezuma can be very productive but the key is to fish when the tides are in your favor and to be mobile. I fish two hours prior to peak tide until two hours of outgo. If I don't get a hit the 1st hour I move to another location. It's all about finding the school.

slowriprun
08-27-2009, 09:49 PM
Dead on GT. Striper fishing should be called striper hunting. Locate the fish; don't wait, even when bank fishing; you're rod and reel are your fish finders. ;)

pkrainert
08-31-2009, 03:53 AM
I try to fish the tides and move but it all depends on how much time I have, plus from the boat I can troll to find the school or go off the finder. I prefer to troll then go from there. Or if im dipping bait I know some spots from the boat. But yea it should be considered hunting although some people move too often and dont catch much... lol. I have friends like that after 15 minutes " there are no fish here"