PDA

View Full Version : SW striper rod?

Fishsticks
05-25-2009, 07:57 AM
Hi guys, I've never fished striper from the beach before, but I wanna get in on it. I have no idea what kind of rod I need for casting topwater plugs out there. Can anyone give me some advise to get me started. I usually get my gear at Fisherman's Warehouse in Manteca, but I don't know how knowledgeable they are about surf fishing in there. Any advise is appreciated :)

Double_D
05-25-2009, 08:14 AM
Hi guys, I've never fished striper from the beach before, but I wanna get in on it. *I have no idea what kind of rod I need for casting topwater plugs out there. *Can anyone give me some advise to get me started. *I usually get my gear at Fisherman's Warehouse in Manteca, but I don't know how knowledgeable they are about surf fishing in there. *Any advise is appreciated :)

First question,how much are willing to spend.....this is what I tell people, if you think you are the kind of person that is going to be hooked on surfing then buy the third rod first, in the long run you will save money.

Double_D
05-25-2009, 08:33 AM
Or if just want to try it out, and not spend too much money look at these rods

TeamDaiwa SURF 902MRS 9'0'' Medium action lure wt 1-5 oz line wt. 12-30 lb.

http://ep.yimg.com/ip/I/tackle_2055_253420307

Lamiglas SURF KING SK9MS medim action 10-17 lb. line wt. lure wt. 5/8-21 oz.

http://www.stripersonline.net/cart/images/handle_s4.jpg

Surf rods take a beating and off the rack rod don't hold up, I personally have snapped 4 off the rack surf rods.

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/6421/ddrodbreak1.jpg (http://img196.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ddrodbreak1.jpg)

Teambuilding101
05-25-2009, 10:03 AM
I concur with Double D. The Lamiglas Surf King 9' is versatile for both mild surf and bay fishing. It cast 5/8 oz hairraisers and 2 oz Kastmasters very well. It is sturdy enough for both a good hook set and a lengthy drag fight. I have even worked pencil poppers with it when the surf is calm. Great investment for a bill !

Good luck and hope to see you on the water.

ratss427
05-25-2009, 10:10 AM
be careful loading up the rod with "maximum 2 oz"baits! ;) :-X

Double_D
05-25-2009, 10:12 AM
And forgot to mention both rods about $100.00 each.

Double_D
05-25-2009, 10:36 AM

Even the 9' 1-5 oz Dawia rod....Ratss you were there when I jacked the rod up.

ratss427
05-25-2009, 12:41 PM

Even the 9' 1-5 oz Dawia rod....Ratss you were there when I jacked the rod up.
Oh yeah .i remember that day! :P...But DD is right .If you think surf fishing is something you are going to enjoy.Invest in nice rods and reels.You can get away with less expensive gear trout,catfish etc. fishing.But, surf fishing really raises hell with your stuff.
I now use the best stuff i can afford in the surf......after I blew up a 9' surf king rod last month.That was the last of my "lower end surf gear".I am just happy it didn't cost me a nice fish in the process!.
also,with the better quality stuff .comes better warrantees! ;)

Fishsticks
05-25-2009, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the advise guys. So is the Lamiglas Surf King considered a high quality rod? I need a good reel too. Any advise with that? I plan on spending a few hundred bucks (give or take). Thanks again! :)

Double_D
05-25-2009, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the advise guys. *So is the Lamiglas Surf King considered a high quality rod? *I need a good reel too. *Any advise with that? *I plan on spending a few hundred bucks (give or take). *Thanks again! :)

No, pretty much lower end, I own two, but if your starting out and don't want to drop a bundle it will get the job done....go with a 9' ft rod and pair it up with 4000 series reel, I have mine fitted with Shimano Stradic and the 10 ft. Surf king with a Daiwa Capricorn 3500 I don't fish these anymore I let buddy's or someone that has never been surf fishing use em.

ratss427
05-25-2009, 05:18 PM
as far as entry level surf rods.I would have to say that the surf kings are not on the top of my list. [smiley=foottap.gif]I havn't owned one .but, I hear st croix makes an inexpensive ,entry level surf rod.That has had some good owner/user reviews. :)

ghostfish_slayer
05-25-2009, 05:57 PM
you may want to check out the D BLUE TC4 (DB08TCSSP1102M) or (DB08TCSSP1002M) or the TSUNAMI AIR WAVE for the cost instead of those others.. seen to many blown up surf kings throwing 2 oz poppers..

Fishsticks
05-25-2009, 10:26 PM
Thanks guys, I'll start looking for these rods at Fisherman's Warehouse and maybe Bass Pro.

ghostfish_slayer
05-25-2009, 10:29 PM
try the big auction place for those i posted..

weatherguy
05-26-2009, 06:51 AM
From the top down:
Shimano Stardic: About $200. Great but expensive.

Shimano Saros: About $130. Great reel for the money. To me a better value than the stradic. Great drag and lightweight. Size only up to 4000.

Shimano Spheros. Great deal on the first generation (FA) model about $90. If you can find one. The newer *and maybe better (FB) model not worth the extra dough. Better off *with a Saros.

Penn Sargus: About $85
A recent purchase that I have used twice with great first impressions. No premature bail closures. Of course the salt has a way of separating the men from the boys very quickly. Time will tell. *Here is an unparalled review. *

http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/showthread.php?t=623193 *

*If the link is not allowed just google Alan Hawk reel reviews. Believe
me itís worth it.

These of course are just my opinions of the reels that I have used over the years. *I am about average in terms of servicing my equipment. I wash them off after every use but rarely take my reels apart. This was a mistake with the Spheros after 2 years all of a sudden water must have gotten in and when I opened her up the gears were all corroded.

I would be remiss not to mention what many consider to be the hardest working spinning reels in the surf. Legends in their own right. The Penn Z series. 704Z and 706Z. *They are not made anymore but you may find some on Ebay. Sorry my two are not for sale.

Next up the debate of braid vs mono for a newbie on the beach and the bailess conversion kits.
Good Luck
Lee

ghostfish_slayer
05-26-2009, 07:37 AM
http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/1158/img0297s.jpg (http://img155.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0297s.jpg)
2 of my Penn 704 reels.. both of these were built for right around 80-90 bucks each including manual bail kits installed.. the drilled one i have been using for a little over 2 years. i rinse and wipe it down every few trips only because it's bare metal and it needs it to keep it from turning white. i clean and lube it about every 6-8 months just to make sure everything is good inside.. they are strong, pretty heavy reels and very easy to work on.. they hold 300 yards of 50 lb braid and about 40 yards of 20 lb mono.. i also have a drilled 710z but i think the gear ratio is to slow to work top water with it..

lawrence
05-31-2009, 09:33 AM
Try 8.6ft. Saber rod made by penn for saltwater. I have seen them on sale for 40 bucks at a sporting good store who sell lots of tennis shoes.

powder
06-20-2009, 08:26 AM
The Penn Greenies and Z's are tanks and will last you a lifetime. *Parts are still available but some components are getting scarce. *As mentioned earlier, the Stradics are nice. *Reasonable care and maintenance is the key.

RANDO
06-22-2009, 01:11 AM
i have a daiwa boca on my surf king it feels well balanced. i have a daiwa emcast plus 5500( alittle big for a 9' though) i'd sell ya, sorry for the tacky/sneaky sales pitch

MB_Kevin
06-23-2009, 09:05 PM
I've gone threw a few surf reels. My vote would be for the stradic for you. ;)

Fishsticks
08-18-2009, 02:20 PM
Thanks for all the advise, where should I go to buy it?