PDA

View Full Version : Report Bait/Striper Run

fishingfanatic
06-18-2009, 03:12 PM
I thought it would be a good idea to post a thread, where guys could report striper runs in pacifica. Maybe this post could include bait runs in the water, birds diving, etc. I'll give my post now.

Yesterday in pacifica, there was some good bait off shore maybe 500yds, a couple of stripers caught.

Remember dont make the post too specific, gotta follow the board rules!

ff

Double_D
06-18-2009, 04:02 PM
Don't get to hung up of the idea bait and birds means Striper run, we don't have the Striper population we had years ago, sure, it's a sign there might be fish present.

I don't chase the bait and birds anymore, I just read the water, work the holes and the trough's, I do way better this way than chasing birds, I stand a better chance a hooking into a Pelican than I do a Striper....but if a bait ball and birds materialize in front of me I'll work it,....just my humble opinion. ;)

fishingfanatic
06-18-2009, 08:07 PM
Completely understood... But for me, I trust the bait. I fish places even w/o bait but with bait in the water, I feel like its more productive.

ff

weatherguy
06-19-2009, 05:47 AM
exactly what happened to me last night big old bait ball with 1 and half billion birds. not even a hit. Since moving here 7 years ago I have not seen the bait ball produce anything other than the occasional striper. They could be salmon? Or just bait, whales dolphin etc.. I'm with Doudle D just work the area as usual. Although it does seem to make you think you are going to catch something when you see all that action. Plus with all those tasty, oily fresh sardines and anchovies why would a striper want my piece of wood?
Lee

fishingfanatic
06-19-2009, 10:30 AM
what area was the bait in?

Double_D
06-19-2009, 06:30 PM
what area was the bait in?

All a long the California coast this time of year, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Cruz and Monterey county beaches never in one spot every long

ghostfish_slayer
06-19-2009, 09:55 PM
then there are those few times a year where all heck breaks loose and the fish are pushing the bait on the beach, going between your legs bumping into your legs and feeding behind you in knee deep water.. just pluck a live bait from the sand, flip it out and hang on..

rickyrick
06-21-2009, 08:04 PM
What are this "holes" in water?? :-/.. and what do you guys mean by baitfish?? :[ lol

Double_D
06-21-2009, 08:25 PM
What are this "holes" in water?? *:-/.. and what do you guys mean by baitfish?? :[ lol

This book has all the answers your looking for, it's and east coast book but most of the techniques can apply here on the west coast, read this book and it all will make sense. ;)

http://www.zenohromin.com/large-file-jpeg-web.gif

FisherMi3nh
06-21-2009, 09:52 PM
then there are those few times a year where all heck breaks loose and the fish are pushing the bait on the beach, *going between your legs bumping into your legs and feeding behind you in knee deep water.. just pluck a live bait from the sand, flip it out and hang on..

I saw a video on youtube this person posted, shows bait fish very very close to the beach and were like thousands of them. it says redondo beach but wasn't sure if it was in HMB or down further south by LA

memebop
08-14-2009, 12:34 PM
I was throwing to bait balls the other day, only to find they were being driven by seals. I'm wondering if the seals are increasing to the point they are keeping the stripers in check?

I wish they'd stay down at peir 39 where they are loved. :-/