PDA

View Full Version : Getting Rid of The Skunk/Weekend Recap

weatherguy
05-12-2009, 07:26 AM
Hi All

This story shall start from the beggining. Left the left coast 7 years ago where the Stripers are a little easier to come by. Started plugging the local beaches 2 years ago. Not religously but enough to feel a bit discouraged by now. Just target Stripers and Halibut. I have had decent luck with the flatties off the beach thank goodness, but no stripers yet. Introduced the girlfriend (Michelle) to fishing last summer. First catch was an anchovy off the wharf. Then a whole lot of nuthin. She has never seen anyone land a fish either off the wharf or in the surf and she has become a bit skeptical to say the least. Took her to the east coast last September where she caught her first real fish. A black sea bass and a very small striper about 16 inches on clam bellies off the boat. That fish seems to get bigger and bigger every time she talks about it. Well that was until last night.

Weekend Racap:
Friday Eve 8pm-11pm Me and Neighbor Plugging the Beach
East wind 5-15 and diminishing, surf 2-3 feet, incoming tide, sunset to near full moon, no salad, no birds or surface action as far as I can tell.
First fish about 20 inches. Caught on a Tattoo Sea Pup (think walk the dog).
Had a few bumps on the bucktails.
Second fish about the same size. Caught on Tattoo Metal Lipped Swimmer.
Third fish 25 inches. Caught on Minnow type plastic swimmer.
Fish were hitting light. Felt like all small fish.
Took pictures and then accidentaly erased them last night along with friends wedding photos (new camera don't ask).

Saturday Eve. I'm jonesing after the previous night and full moon high tide scenario. Michelle wants to have an evening out. I can't blame her as we have opposite scheduels. Her working on the swiing/night shift as a nurse and me working early mornings. We only cross paths for an hour in the afternoon. No fishing for me. Backup plan was to hit the Sunday dawn session, but we just got home way too late.

Sunday: Hey baby you want to go fishing with me tonight? Between the beauty store and Bed Bath Beyond we stop and get her a fishing license.
7pm she is all geared up. Waders, hat, headlamp, rain jacket etc.. I feel like the michelin man she says. It's about staying warm babe. We run into her cycling partner in the parking lot and other tourists leaving the beach who give us aliens some wierd looks. This is not helping.

Sunday 7pm-10pm Plugging the Beach
East wind 10-15 and diminishing, surf 2-3 feet, incoming tide, , just a little salad

Michelle is still practicing her casting. I am trying to explain retrieve speed etc.. Have her throw some metal first and then some bucktails. Nothin doin except for the occasional diving bird out past the surf line. She keeps telling me that she is going to catcha fish tonight. She just feels it. It's like Zeno says you gotta have confidence in what you are throwing. About a half hour after sunset she makes a cast that goes more sideways than anything else. A second later she starts yelling franticly. I have a fish. I have a fish. I'm about 20 feet away and I can't hear the drag screeming over her screeming. So I slowly start walking towards her, thinking it's probably another big kelp catch. The 8" 6' shimano med action rod is bent over pretty good. But her wild retrieve style is making it very difficult to ascertain exactly what is on her line if anything. I finally see a splash about 15 feet out in the wash. Now I know that there is something alive on the other end. I tell her start to backing up. She has never landed a fish in the surf. I get a hold of the 20lb flourocarbon leader. I feel the wieght of a keeper something. Turns out to be a beautiful 37 inch striped bass, 21bs.
She is ecstatic. We unfortunately did not bring the camera to the beach so had to take a few pics when we got home.
http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww10/weatherguy777/Michelle%20Striper/P5100002.jpg

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww10/weatherguy777/Michelle%20Striper/P5100003.jpg
http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww10/weatherguy777/Michelle%20Striper/P5100004.jpg
http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww10/weatherguy777/Michelle%20Striper/P5100005.jpg

What an incrdeible fish for her. She has this monster smile. Got home and she showed all the neighbors(some who fish quite regularly). Oh she is stoked. Me too of course. Toasted a glass of wine/beer. One of the happiest days of my life. An incrdeble experience. Adrenaline pumping, leg skaking, stuff for her I'm sure. So amped up did not get to sleep until 11:30. Alarm for work went off at 3am. Still totally pumped. Thanks for listening.

isdaann
05-12-2009, 11:03 AM
oh she is a beaut, and I like the fish too!

h00kie
05-12-2009, 01:06 PM
Great write up and a big congrats to Michelle!

Continued success to you both.

Double_D
05-12-2009, 03:33 PM
Nice report and photo's...thanks for sharing.

xmenrsix
05-12-2009, 06:51 PM
SWEET!

MB_Kevin
05-12-2009, 07:53 PM
She looks as happy as can be! I can't blame her that is one cool fish to catch off the surf!
Good Job!

fuenstock
05-14-2009, 04:05 PM
Nice fish for sure!

Ash
05-14-2009, 08:32 PM
Absolutely AWSOME good job!!!!!!!
Are you Steve Paulson? I love that guy on channle 2.

Cracker Jacks
05-15-2009, 08:43 PM
Nice fish !

kaidenh0
05-15-2009, 09:16 PM
Nice catch for you guys last weekend! Been thinking about giving saltwater a go but thinking its gonna bring a whole new round of spending. Sounds like you guys had a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing! 8-)

put_em_back
05-15-2009, 09:40 PM
Great pictures with the story. Fantastic how you've gotten her hooked. Look at the smiles....she is hooked.

Farrier_Frank
05-18-2009, 04:15 AM
oh she is a beaut, and I like the fish too!

No kidding. My fishing partner is one ugly old guy with most of his teeth gone.

I love the third picture, the one where she's now using her left hand to support the right hand. Guess she's not about to let that fish get away.

Great report. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Buddmann2000
06-01-2009, 11:39 PM
Wow...! Nice fish. Congrats!

Captain_Morgan
06-02-2009, 04:33 PM
Great read & nice fish!! Now she's got to top that! ;) Congrats to both of you,what a fun night!!

powder
06-20-2009, 08:41 AM
That's what it's all about. Nice report.