PDA

View Full Version : More Stripers From The Surf

weatherguy
06-08-2009, 10:05 AM
Hi All

I have been out about 4 times since my last last post. Raising fish every outing but they donít always find the hooks. Let me start by saying there are a lot of people catching plenty of fish this year. Including a new friend who has a lot of skill. The other night he gets a hit on the popper and the fish gets off after about 5 seconds. Quickly recasts and lands a nice 31 incher. Great concentration and retrieve. Nice fish that night. A few honey holes here and there. The bait guys have been doing well. The fish have been gorging themselves on all sorts of crustaceans and baitfish. All fish that I have seen look fairly fat and healthy. We are doing a lot of blind casting to be honest. All fish lately on top water for me (yellow gibbs pencil). Except for one on a swimmer. That fish was caught by Mr. anonymous.

They semm to be biting morning, noon and night, although if I could fish in the mornings thatís where I would be putting my time in. I have been meeting a lot of nice guys out there. It seems that the bite will turn on all of a sudden then quit just as quick. I think small schools of fish are working up and down the beaches. You just have to intersect them.

The surf has been running 2-5 feet with a little more salad than most of us would prefer. Still very fishable.

June 6th Saturday 1:00-3:00pm
One halibut just shy at 21 Ĺ inches. Back in to grow up. No pics

June 8th Monday 5:30-8:00pm
Wind wsw 5-10mph
Surf 2-4 feet
First fish 25inches. He went back to grow up. About 5 minutes later the second fish came along 34 inches. Again did not take camera to the beach. Pic is of bigger fish back at home.
http://s700.photobucket.com/albums/ww10/weatherguy777/th_P6010118.jpg

http://s700.photobucket.com/albums/ww10/weatherguy777/th_P6010119.jpg

Congratulations to everyone on this board on their awesome catches. It keeps me going on the off days that I can't fish. The fly guys are just unbelievable.
Now go and get out there. Itís game on baby.
Lee
P.S. The lack of sleep is starting to catch up with me.

POST #2
Hi All
June 11th Thursday Evening 7:00-9:30 pm
Wind : WSW (onshore) 10-15mph +
Lots of chop with a 2-4ft swell
Big incoming tide. Clean water to start then the salad arrived but not too bad.

Plugged the beach with my buddy. A heavy chop along with the onshore wind and swell was making for less than ideal conditions, but it did look fishy at first with some birds diving in the surfline. Not a hit for the first hour and a half. Then this nice little 28 inch chunker decided to injest my green and white spro bucktail. The little brute actually fought quite hard for itís size and made a couple of nice runs.

http://s700.photobucket.com/albums/ww10/weatherguy777/th_P6040124.jpg

That was it for the night. Of course condiotions started looking really good towards 10pm. The wind completely died and the water was looking very very fishy. It looked like there were some big fish prowling around. This darn work thing is really statrting to get in the way. Happy hunting everyone.
Lee

Double_D
06-08-2009, 10:42 AM
Thanks Lee, nice report, very detailed, I all ways like to here the surf conditions in fishing reports. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

http://img319.imageshack.us/img319/6594/areportmq5.gif

Farrier_Frank
06-09-2009, 04:50 AM
It's times like this, reading about how some of you guys simply head to the beach any old time the stripers are in the neighborhood, head the few miles you have to drive to get back home and then post a picture of the days catch on the grill, that makes me want to hold a yard sale and sell all my cool looking striper gear.

Nevertheless I still enjoy reading your posts, Lee. You're one of the very few who post what's happening on this board. If nothing else your posts keep me looking forward to my next trip down there to the coast, always optimistic I'll stumble into a herd of stripers the next time I have a few hours to fish the surf. [smiley=winkfs.gif]

weatherguy
06-09-2009, 05:30 AM
Well Frank I am not taking anything for granted. Plenty of evenings where I felt too exhausted to go fish and then get my ass out there because I am very fortunate to live soo close to the beach. I enjoy all the outings catching or not. Most of the time over the past few years I caught nothing. But know that I am fishing in February, calling back east to tell my sis that I'm on the beach in the middle of winter while they are burried in the ice and snow. I know what you guys got here and I'm taking it in as much as I can. The scenery alone is worth it for me. But catching fish just puts it over the top.
My one bit of advice for anyone listening, not that I should be giving advice to anyone on this board, I understand I am still light years behind the sharpies out there, and plenty of you are catching a hell of alot more fish than I am, but folks should start reading all the books on striper fishing you can. No one can get to the beach everyday but you can certainly read a bit before bed. It has helped me tremendously over the years. Even you soo called experts will pick something up because very few of us can produce quality fish consistently under all water conditions, different plugs etc..
Lee

bigeasy8240
06-09-2009, 09:21 AM
Your right WeatherGuy! I read a few books and caught my 1st surf striper! It weighed every bit of 8lbs! 8-) That was 2 weeks ago! I've been fishing for 30 years! Wow! That's not good! ;D

fuenstock
06-09-2009, 06:04 PM
Nice stripers,

MB_Kevin
06-09-2009, 07:48 PM
Nice fish!

Bobbo
06-10-2009, 01:37 PM
I enjoy your posts and your weather reports. I have been soaking bait along the *** ***** beaches the last few weeks and haven't had much luck but see that fish are being caught. Going out and trying sure beats listening to fish tales and not even having tried to spin a few of my own. It sure looks like the Stripers should be out there, plenty of bird activity near the surf line and I know I will get my fish so I encourage you all to put in your time and do your studying on what baits lures and methods are working like Lee recommends. Now, What about doing something about this WEATHER, Mr. Weatherguy? Thanks again for your great posts and weather reports.

Pongo
06-10-2009, 07:53 PM
I know a lot of fish have been caught, but I have been out twice and fished with 20 to 30 other guys and have yet to see a fish caught by anyone. And I was fishing in the "hot spot" that everone in my area knows about. Boy I hope we have a Salmon season next year.

dimpala95
06-10-2009, 08:03 PM
I hit the beach last weekend and saw quite few landed. I got a couple bumps but nothing stuck. All fish I saw were quite slim and most had nothing in their belly with a couple having a few sand crabs in them.

ratss427
06-14-2009, 06:34 PM
I hit the beach last weekend and saw quite few landed. I got a couple bumps but nothing stuck. All fish I saw were quite slim and most had nothing in their belly with a couple having a few sand crabs in them.
That has definitely been the norm this year.fish on the thin side.with only crabs in their bellies.Lets hope some bait shows up to keep the fish around.and fed! :)

Sin_Coast
06-17-2009, 09:51 AM
Good knowledge Lee. thanks again for sharing w/us.
Lots of fish being caught the last 5-6 days, including a surprisingly good amount of halibut.
See you on the water,
PK

weatherguy
06-18-2009, 04:51 AM
Have not wet a line in awhile. South swell has been pumping for 14 days. Surfing and working is all I have time for. Plus had to fit a trip to Seattle in the middle of it all. Not surprised about the halibut. Water is super warm in the protected areas. I bet at times low to mid 60's. It feels tropical. It will cool off big time in the next few days as wind cranks up. Big windswell moves infor the open beaches. Could squash the bite for awhile. Wee shall see. I should be fishing again sometime this weekend.
Lee

weatherguy
06-18-2009, 05:02 AM
To our supreme leaders:

One other thing. How many fish do you have to catch to get your status upgraded from rookie? LOL
Lee

Double_D
06-18-2009, 06:48 AM
Have not wet a line in awhile. South swell has been pumping for 14 days. Surfing and working is all I have time for. Plus had to fit a trip to Seattle in the middle of it all. *Not surprised about the halibut. Water is super warm in the protected areas. I bet at times low to mid 60's. *It feels tropical. It will cool off big time in the next few days as wind cranks up. Big windswell moves infor the open beaches. Could squash the bite for awhile. Wee shall see. I should be fishing again sometime this weekend.
Lee

Thanks, posts like that help me decide where I'm going to fish a long with a few other indicators.

I use the following surfing websites to give me tide/swell direction/sunrise/sunset water temp/weather, they even have real time beach cams at some of the places I fish. *

www.Surfline.com
www.pacificwaverider.com

Double_D
06-18-2009, 07:02 AM
To our supreme leaders:
One other thing. How many fish do you have to catch to get your status upgraded from rookie? LOL
Lee

No supreme leaders here, just two guys that moderate this forum otherwise it would get out of hand, GF and I learned that from expereance....just keep doing what your doing making well informed detail reports, and by the way I'd like to thank you for those reports they have helped me find fish....and that rookie status will disappear the more you post. ;)