PDA

View Full Version : Any recommendations on buying waders

Richard_Kwon
03-03-2009, 05:29 PM
I'd appreciate any advice on buying some good but inexpensive waders for striper surf fishing. I looked around the web and there are a ton of brands and kinds. I don't need the professional grade SIMMS kind but am leery of buying the el cheapo kind you can find at Big 5. Any recommendations? I was hoping to spend around $50-$60.

Is it better to get the kind with just the neoprene sock and buy separate boots, OR the kind with a boot already on the wader?

Thanks.

Double_D
03-03-2009, 06:05 PM
I own them all...SIMMS stocking foot, Hodgmen neopream stocking foot, Orvis boot foot, and a cheap pair of Cabela's boot foot @ $49.00 a pair [smiley=thumbsup.gif].....but *now the only time I bother with waders is at night if it's windy and foggy, most of the time I don't bother.

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/3093/im000083.jpg (http://img6.imageshack.us/my.php?image=im000083.jpg)

http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/7894/im000969.jpg (http://img128.imageshack.us/my.php?image=im000969.jpg)

shon42073
03-03-2009, 06:17 PM
For what you will be doing a pair of hodgemans or some cabelas waders should work well, Ditch the neoprene and go with some breathables. If your a wet wader beware of tea bagging ;D

Richard_Kwon
03-03-2009, 06:21 PM
Double_D, you da' man. That first pic cracks me up; looks like you could use a pair of waders. Nice fish in the second.

Where do you surf fish? I'm in SF Bay Area and the water is unquestionably cold.

Did you have a preference when you do use your waders? stocking foot or boot foot?

Thanks.

Double_D
03-03-2009, 06:32 PM
Double_D, you da' man. That first pic cracks me up; looks like you could use a pair of waders. Nice fish in the second.

Where do you surf fish? I'm in SF Bay Area and the water is unquestionably cold.

Did you have a preference when you do use your waders? stocking foot or boot foot?

Thanks. *

Boot foot on the sand, stocking foot on the river, if I bother with waders........ the cheap Cabela boot foot are Ok but you sweet like a pig in them and they smell after a wile.

I fish the beaches from SF to Monterey

Richard_Kwon
03-04-2009, 09:19 AM
For what you will be doing a pair of hodgemans or some cabelas waders should work well, Ditch the neoprene and go with some breathables. If your a wet wader beware of tea bagging *;D

Good point. Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely look for something breathable.

Sorry, one more question: what is "tea bagging?"

Cheers!

Richard_Kwon
03-04-2009, 09:28 AM

Thanks. *

Boot foot on the sand, stocking foot on the river, if I bother with waders........ the cheap Cabela boot foot are Ok but you sweet like a pig in them and they smell after a wile.

Double_D

Thanks for sharing your expertise. How ironic, to wear waders to try and stay dry and comfortable but still end up wet from sweat. If and when i get my waders I'll probably go with a breathable boot foot.

Fish On!

Furbait
03-04-2009, 10:41 AM
goldenbear,

Check out this link:
http://www.kodiakoutback.com/Fishing-Waders.aspx

I bought a pair of Hodgman breathable bootfoot waders from Kodiak for beach fishing. I thought it was a pretty good price; their customer service was great! *8-)

I like the waders a lot, but somehow I did get a crack in the side of one boot. However, I was able to completely repair it with a $2.00 bicycle tube repair kit! The uppers have been perfect, no leaks, tears, runs, etc. (I wouldn't call this a recommendation for Hodgman's as much as a field report).

Good fishing! FB *

Richard_Kwon
03-04-2009, 11:39 AM
goldenbear,

Check out this link:
http://www.kodiakoutback.com/Fishing-Waders.aspx

I bought a pair of Hodgman breathable bootfoot waders from Kodiak for beach fishing. I thought it was a pretty good price; their customer service was great! *8-)

I like the waders a lot, but somehow I did get a crack in the side of one boot. However, I was able to completely repair it with a $2.00 bicycle tube repair kit! The uppers have been perfect, no leaks, tears, runs, etc. (I wouldn't call this a recommendation for Hodgman's as much as a field report).

Good fishing! FB *

Fantastic! Thanks Furbait for tip.

Good fishing to you too.

Double_D
03-04-2009, 04:00 PM

Thanks. *

Double_D

Thanks for sharing your expertise. How ironic, to wear waders to try and stay dry and comfortable but still end up wet from sweat. If and when i get my waders I'll probably go with a breathable boot foot.

Fish On!

Breathable boot foot IMHO is the way to go on the sand, the cheap Cabela's waders I keep as back up in my company car along with back up rods and reels...just in case. ;)

tuna_head
03-04-2009, 05:00 PM
its hard enough to run down the birds 1/4 mile down the beach without waders, or you have your waders on and your favorite plug gets down by your jewels with hooks next to your sack game over

Richard_Kwon
03-04-2009, 05:13 PM
For what you will be doing a pair of hodgemans or some cabelas waders should work well, Ditch the neoprene and go with some breathables. If your a wet wader beware of tea bagging *;D

Good point. Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely look for something breathable.

Sorry, one more question: what is "tea bagging?"

Cheers!

Uhh... nevermind about the tea baggin' question. I got an answer and that's all I need to know. ;D

Double_D
03-04-2009, 07:09 PM
:-?

SCsurfcaster
03-06-2009, 11:42 AM
Look at LL Bean (ebay) or Cabelas. A good return policy is key.

Richard_Kwon
03-06-2009, 11:44 AM
Look at LL Bean (ebay) or Cabelas. A good return policy is key.

Thanks SCSurfcaster.