PDA

View Full Version : Live bait rigs

Bakkie
07-13-2008, 10:17 PM
When you drift live chovies and sards in the bay, how do you rig it?
Do you use weights, floats, or just tie a hook on and let the bait swim around? Any time of year where one would work better?

slick88
07-16-2008, 01:46 PM
When you drift live chovies and sards in the bay, how do you rig it?
Do you use weights, floats, or just tie a hook on and let the bait swim around? Any time of year where one would work better?

http://www.histacklebox.com/rigging-instructions-drawings/standard-live-bait-drift-rig.htm

just put on a lead sinker and the live bait on the hook.

ghostfish_slayer
07-16-2008, 03:29 PM
1-2 oz sliding sinker rig 3-4 feet 15-25 lb leader and small live bait hook. flip or cast it out set the clicker and wait. if striper grabs it let take some line/clicker. i usually count to 5 or 10 before setting up and turning off clicker. if you don't have a clicker loosen your drag pretty much all the way.. dead man rig with float keeps float in a straight line in the wind. use 1-2 oz pyramid sinker with a bead on main line above lead. cast weight only out, have your float set up with a snap above the float and a 5+ foot leader put a decent size splitt shot 20 inches above the live bait hook. gets the bait down faster away from birds and helps keep it down. snap it on the line and lift rod let it slide down to the water. when fish runs with it, reel slow and or wait untill the float hits the bead above the weight. usually by then the fish has eaten, feel weight and set up.. fly linning live bait, small live bait hook and no weight or a splitt shot to get it down from birds.. regular float and hook with splitt shot. toss it out and let it drift all over the place.. hook and hold rig,, torpeedo sinker with dropper loop 20+ inches above sinker use single hook or trebble hook it doesn't matter. toss into bait, let sink, reel, quick jerk. get 1 bait and leave it there to wiggle..

GOT2FISH510
08-13-2008, 07:50 PM
I use SLICK88 Setup diagram he posted. But instead of 1 hook, I use a double hook setup with a treble at the end. I also fish in the bay and use size 6-8-10-12-16 onch weights. Ohh yeah. Make sure you have extra in weights becuase you might get jam and loose you weight/setup so have extra.

FishFINattick
09-24-2008, 12:53 PM
I use SLICK88 Setup diagram he posted. *But instead of 1 hook, I use a double hook setup with a treble at the end. I also fish in the bay and use size 6-8-10-12-16 onch weights. Ohh yeah. Make sure you have extra in weights becuase you might get jam and loose you weight/setup so have extra.

Not sure about this but is it legal to use a treble hook
and live bait for Stripers?

Jerrdirt
09-24-2008, 07:01 PM
yes! Just as long as you don't snag them.

shon42073
09-25-2008, 05:22 PM
It depends on were you are fishing. since I find striper fishing best in shallow water i find that no weight is needed alot of times, its called fly lining and its deadly, use a spinning rod and light line, the light line allows the bait to swim more naturally. Of course if you were going to fish a spot like the rockpile just inside the gate a solid 10 ounces may be needed, its just going to depend on were you fish. It is impossible to tell you how much weight is needed its going to take some experimentation and effort on your part.

GOT2FISH510
09-27-2008, 01:52 PM
+1 on the fly lining ----->Deadly. With your live bait swimming more freely striper will go after them

[smiley=swimmingfish.gif] [smiley=fishing1.gif]

shon42073
09-29-2008, 05:40 PM
key is not to use any line over about 8 or 10 lb test. The line gets to heavey and your live bait dosen't swim freely. Modern line is so strong that you should have no problem landing a pretty serious striper on the lighter lines.