PDA

View Full Version : DAD!! Lets go home!!!

Farrier_Frank
09-03-2008, 03:22 PM
I was standing on the beach early last Saturday morning, untangling a wind knot and already wet from the fog. My glasses were covered with a film of salt thick enough I know the knot came apart by brail, when a young fella appeared through the mist, set up next to me and started throwing metal. I walked over to ask how he was doing. He looked up at me, hesitated, and then smiled and said, "I think you're the guy my Dad is looking for." A couple of minutes later Ghostfish_slayer walked across the dunes.

Of all the fresh water Sniffers I know it's never been hard to find somebody to fish with, but fishing the salt has been another story. I've put the word out repeatedly, hoping to find a surf fisherman from the boards to spend some time with and learn a few tricks. Saturday was a first: Ghostfish met me on the beach, three kids in tow, and we spent the better part of four hours working the surf together, while his kids tried to burn down a soggy man-fort and ran wild along the beach; entertaining themselves while Dad fished with the old guy.

At my age I know I don't have the luxury of youth to spend a lot of time figuring out the tricks for surf fishing stripers. The days of my being able to wander through the surf are numbered and I need help... NOW!... *All I need do is watch someone in the know work the water and it usually doesn't take me long to catch on. Some questions can be answered on the boards, but many questions remain, especially the questions I don't even know to ask.

Saturday I learned more than Ghostfish realized he was teaching me. The little things. The things most with experience take for granted, like tying on a shock leader just long enough to work but short enough to cast; reading the water; spotting a hole; working the drift and knowing which direction to work your lure; water clarity and why and when it changes; seeing for the first time a reel modified for surf fishing - that was a real eye-opener... and all the other questions you need answers to but don't realize you don't know them until you see it unfold before your eyes. Not the least of which is knowing when to hang it up 'cause they ain't biting and switch to trying to catch some perch, or just go home. The list of questions is endless. Most neither require asking or answering. The knowledge comes from watching... A picture is worth a thousand words. *

I appreciated that Ghostfish took the time to explain some things and tolerated my casting next to him... wind knots, broken lines and all.

In those short hours, watching and fishing next to Ghostfish, a guy who grew up only a few miles from where we fished, I learned more than enough to keep my interest piqued. The surf was rough Saturday and the stripers uncooperative. It mattered little to me the fish were not biting. What mattered to me Saturday was learning all I could so on my next trip to the coast I can put that new knowledge to work... and then maybe, just maybe, I'll have that sweet opportunity to hear my reel scream with a big old striper on the end of the line trying to spool me.

Somehow the kids knew the tide had turned and out of the mist I heard that old familiar cry, a cry that brought back sweet memories of my own kids now grown and gone...

"Dad!! Lets go home."

Many thanks to Ghostfish and his kids for spending a little time with me on the beach.

It made for a great day. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

The Ghostfish clan

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/7172/p8300211ep9.jpg

Learning to work the surf... at 62

(http://imageshack.us) http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/3417/p8300214vh6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

ghostfish_slayer
09-03-2008, 03:53 PM
wow,, what a excellent report frank.. i had a good time fishing with you. even though the conditions were not the best for fishing, we still put in some good time and covered some water. it was tough water to fish saturday.. the in comming and out going was in our favor but the water was big, dirty and never gave us a break. maybe next time the ocean won't be so angry at us and we can find some fish..

Double_D
09-03-2008, 03:57 PM
[quote author=Farrier_Frank link=1220484144/0#0 date=1220484144]I was standing on the beach early last Saturday morning, untangling a wind knot and already wet from the fog. My glasses were covered with a film of salt thick enough I know the knot came apart by brail, when a young fella appeared through the mist, set up next to me and started throwing metal. I walked over to ask how he was doing. He looked up at me, hesitated, and then smiled and said, "I think you're the guy my Dad is looking for." A couple of minutes later Ghostfish_slayer walked across the dunes.

Of all the fresh water Sniffers I know it's never been hard to find somebody to fish with, but fishing the salt has been another story. I've put the word out repeatedly, hoping to find a surf fisherman from the boards to spend some time with and learn a few tricks. Saturday was a first: Ghostfish met me on the beach, three kids in tow, and we spent the better part of four hours working the surf together, while his kids tried to burn down a soggy man-fort and ran wild along the beach; entertaining themselves while Dad fished with the old guy.

At my age I know I don't have the luxury of youth to spend a lot of time figuring out the tricks for surf fishing stripers. The days of my being able to wander through the surf are numbered and I need help... NOW!... *All I need do is watch someone in the know work the water and it usually doesn't take me long to catch on. Some questions can be answered on the boards, but many questions remain, especially the questions I don't even know to ask.

Saturday I learned more than Ghostfish realized he was teaching me. The little things. The things most with experience take for granted, like tying on a shock leader just long enough to work but short enough to cast; reading the water; spotting a hole; working the drift and knowing which direction to work your lure; water clarity and why and when it changes; seeing for the first time a reel modified for surf fishing - that was a real eye-opener... and all the other questions you need answers to but don't realize you don't know them until you see it unfold before your eyes. Not the least of which is knowing when to hang it up 'cause they ain't biting and switch to trying to catch some perch, or just go home. The list of questions is endless. Most neither require asking or answering. The knowledge comes from watching... A picture is worth a thousand words. *

I appreciated that Ghostfish took the time to explain some things and tolerated my casting next to him... wind knots, broken lines and all.

In those short hours, watching and fishing next to Ghostfish, a guy who grew up only a few miles from where we fished, I learned more than enough to keep my interest piqued. The surf was rough Saturday and the stripers uncooperative. It mattered little to me the fish were not biting. What mattered to me Saturday was learning all I could so on my next trip to the coast I can put that new knowledge to work... and then maybe, just maybe, I'll have that sweet opportunity to hear my reel scream with a big old striper on the end of the line trying to spool me.

Somehow the kids knew the tide had turned and out of the mist I heard that old familiar cry, a cry that brought back sweet memories of my own kids now grown and gone...

"Dad!! Lets go home."

Many thanks to Ghostfish and his kids for spending a little time with me on the beach.

It made for a great day. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

The Ghostfish clan

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/7172/p8300211ep9.jpg

Learning to work the surf... at 62

(http://imageshack.us) http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/3417/p8300214vh6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Thats great, ghostfish_slayers kids trying to burn down a Manfort :D......denine the enemy shelter :D...way to go boys.
And Frank your learning from one of the best. ;D

ghostfish_slayer
09-03-2008, 04:03 PM
the picture of the mini man fort we took for you DD.. it even had a fire ring inside with paper and wood.. i wouldn't give my kids the fire and told my youngest he had to rub two stick together if he wanted a fire.. he spent the better part of a hour trying. then came back, punched me and said it didn't work..

thumbuster
09-03-2008, 08:19 PM
great story Frank, That's what it's all about !

Farrier_Frank
09-04-2008, 04:59 AM
Hey Ray.... You might want to try the control X function next time you use a partial sentence quote. [smiley=duh.gif] ::)