PDA

View Full Version : HUGE STRIPER in alameda lagoon

MinnowMagnet
06-22-2008, 04:32 PM
I have been fishing in the lagoon in my backyard with frozen anchovy and my rods in my rod pod with electronic alarms. While they are casted out I sit on the internet or watch TV. I was on the computer 15 minutes ago when the rod went off. I ran out in my socks and hooked it. At first I thought it was a ray, then I saw it was a huge striper. I went on to my neighbor's dock and landed it. It was 23lbs and 37inches long, I caught it on 12lb test. I tied it to a rope so my mom can see, but I am going to release it.
http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/2164/pict0004qd5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

AnyH2oAnytme
06-22-2008, 05:01 PM
AWESOME!!! :) Good lookin' on the release.
Must have been a good fight on the light line.

Double_D
06-22-2008, 06:31 PM
good job

Captain_Morgan
06-22-2008, 07:18 PM
Nice fish!!! :o Congrats on your catch & release!! ;)

ratss427
06-22-2008, 07:27 PM
nice catch.glad to hear it is going back!well done.

C0BRA
06-22-2008, 08:47 PM
Holy smokes man! When I was a kid, I used to catch mudsuckers from my friend's backyard dock, then take them over to the rockwall or bay farm bridge to use as bait. I always wondered if any stripers made it in there through the pipes since there were lots of bait fish. *Now I know! *;D

I wonder how many big ones like that are trapped in there. *:o :)

MB_Kevin
06-22-2008, 09:09 PM
Dang man you get into some serious fish. I bet you will be spending more time fishing in the back yard now. :o

SEEKER
06-22-2008, 09:32 PM
BEAUTIFUL FISH CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!

chagovatoloco
06-24-2008, 04:51 PM
With fish like that in the backyard I'd never go to work!!! Nice.

Ben510le
06-24-2008, 08:44 PM
nice
i have always dreamed of having a house at the lagoon
or that one house near the bay farm bridge so i can cast then go watch tv ;D

MinnowMagnet
06-25-2008, 09:54 AM
It is not as great as it sounds. I have been fishing since 8:00 yesterday morning, I fished in my yard all night and am still fishing and all I have to show for it is two big bullhead about 8-9inchesinches on frozen anchovy. Any tips on how I should get more striper? Does anyone else on here live on the lagoons in alameda or bayfarm?

one of the bullhead
http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/1445/pict0003lo3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

C0BRA
06-25-2008, 10:21 AM
It is not as great as it sounds. I have been fishing since 8:00 yesterday morning, I fished in my yard all night and am still fishing and all I have to show for it is two big bullhead about 8-9inchesinches on frozen anchovy. Any tips on how I should get more striper?

Dude, put that bullhead on a circle hook and toss it out. ;) Doesn't look like you need many tips, seems like you're always into fish.

In the lagoon, is there a lot of water movement with the tide? Or is the water usually slack?

MinnowMagnet
06-25-2008, 11:15 AM
water is always slack, I put out a smaller bullhead for 3 hours with no hits and I put out a mudsucker all night and it was still there in the morning.

metalmouth
06-25-2008, 12:48 PM
Killer Striper MM, you are the fish catcher!

Don

żżż
06-25-2008, 01:07 PM
Cobra beat me to it. I was gonna suggest puttin' the bullhead on a hook. Try back-hooking and suspending the bullhead off the bottom with a bobber so that he's p/o'd that he can't hide out and be quiet on the bottom. Figure out how deep it is where you're tossing him out and adjust the bobber distance so that he's just above the bottom...

It is not as great as it sounds. I have been fishing since 8:00 yesterday morning, I fished in my yard all night and am still fishing and all I have to show for it is two big bullhead about 8-9inchesinches on frozen anchovy. Any tips on how I should get more striper?

Dude, put that bullhead on a circle hook and toss it out. *;) Doesn't look like you need many tips, seems like you're always into fish.

In the lagoon, is there a lot of water movement with the tide? Or is the water usually slack? * *

STURGEONSTOMPER
06-25-2008, 01:30 PM
Holly smokes kiddo......Balloons work well to....If theres one theres more ;)

slowriprun
07-04-2008, 08:52 AM
Hey,

First, congrats on the beast and good for you letting her go...
Ok, I've never fished your water/lagoon, but have spent countless hours fishing lagoons in Marin. Here's what I do and have had a lot of luck.
1. Get live mudsuckers.
2. Fish at night.
3. Work the bank. Keep moving. Don't cast out and sit; cast down the bank. They will take the sucka in really shallow water.
4. Be really stealth; they will see/hear you comin from farther away than I ever thought possible.
5. I'll say it again: don't cast out; they are right off the bank, in really shallow water,,,,feeding. If you see any water move, any, stop and cast.
6. If you can't walk your bank, find something that will float; I use a tube.
7. Have fun with 12lb test, but as you get more comfortable go down to 8lb; it's a kick in the pants, cause you're not fighting current or the chance of them spooling ya.
8. If you don't have live mudsuckers, go with plugs; I like blue, but still fish the bank, twitching it slowly so it doesn't hang up. The takes are hella cool.
Good luck,
David

Farrier_Frank
07-05-2008, 04:58 AM
What a great story. I couldn't have even dreamed that one up: A pole with electric alarms? Watching TV and catching a 23 lb striper off your own deck... and in your socks? That's a story for the books.

Thanks for posting that one Minnow. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

cabbagehead
07-10-2008, 10:04 PM
Great catch and thanks for the release! Maybe you or one of our other friends on this website will catch (and release) that fish again when she is 40 or 50 pounds. That would be cool... 1 fish and 2 fish-catching stories! I agree with the other fellas here too... toss those bullheads out, and keep it barely off the bottom so the stripers see it. Good luck! Also, it's not always true, but something to remember: the bigger the bait, the bigger the catch!

cadfish
07-13-2008, 02:40 AM
Yup! Yup!
Slap a circle hook on the mouth of the bullhead! If they're hungry, they'll eat it!
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i240/antgee/Fishnig%20pics%20post/100_3163-infamosbullhead.jpg

cadfish

lawski14
07-14-2008, 06:15 AM
Holy smokes man! When I was a kid, I used to catch mudsuckers from my friend's backyard *:o :)

That brings nice memories... when I was a kid, we lived on a man-made lake that had mostly perch, but some lbm's, carp, and cats.

Nothing like that lagoon,... If i could catch stripers from my backyard, I would be lovin life.

Good job on the CPR... thanks for the pic, and that said....

GET your fish ON!

Schu
07-24-2008, 09:34 PM
I wish I could fish from my back yard :-?

wildturkey
07-31-2008, 06:23 AM
Great catch young man, :) There will be little stripers now that you released that hog ::)
Good luck with your bullheads and yes..suspending them just above the bottom makes them move around attracting hungrey fish.
Wildturkey

dimpala95
08-01-2008, 09:39 AM
Man I can remember fishing off my aunt's dock in Alameda. She lived at the end of St. Charles St. I never caught crap out of that lagoon.

Dday
08-01-2008, 12:25 PM
WOW!!!!!!! Great fish!!!! :)

GOT2FISH510
08-13-2008, 07:01 PM
Nice Striper. I think I seen you before at the Berkeley Peir throwing a HUGE cast net for Shiner Perch. Also seen you couple time laning some nice stripers on the pier. Well I think it you because you looks just like that Kid. Well any any ways great catch and release. :)