PDA

View Full Version : I got some beach time coming up.

Farrier_Frank
07-16-2008, 05:05 PM
I'm heading back that way - Monterey/Santa Cruz - for another work trip. I'll be on the beach this weekend, and probably the next weekend, too. I'll be armed for stripers... but I'm gonna have my perch gear with me just in case the stripers don't like what I'm throwing. If any of you guys have any tips ... *I would be most appreciative... and, if any of you guys want to join me and show me the ropes you're more than welcome. 8-)

I'd tell you where I'm gonna be fishing, but if I did DD would probably get pissed off and send me a nasty PM. [smiley=wileecoyote.gif]

If you have suggestions about fishing that area post them up; bait or otherwise. If you want to hang on the beach, throwing lures and digging sand crabs with me, send me a PM and we'll make a day of it.... and, since I'm gonna have some extra time on my hands this time, I could go as far north as Pacifica if somebody wanted to get me on some fish. [smiley=winkfs.gif]

Double_D
07-16-2008, 07:05 PM
Frank I'm leaving for Monterrey tomorrow but with out fishing rod......Big race weekend in Monterey this weekend. :D

Farrier_Frank
07-17-2008, 05:53 AM
Well, you're a big help, Ray. [smiley=homersimpson.gif] Actually it's good to know there is some big event happening in Monterey. I've made the mistake before of spending a peaceful day on the water down there only to find the drive home miserable, with a zillion people on the roads. [smiley=duh.gif]

Thanks to all who sent PM's with fishing info. I only have a few days each trip down there to hit the water and any help is appreciated. 8-)

MB_Kevin
07-17-2008, 08:20 PM
I hope you get into some stripers Frank!

BIG_ONE
07-17-2008, 11:14 PM
good luck! don't forget your ray gears, never know when these babes are going to hit ;D

Farrier_Frank
07-18-2008, 04:37 AM
I hope you get into some stripers Frank!

One of these days I'm going to head up to Pacifica and fish with you, MB. Actually, the real reason I want to come up there is to get a cooking lesson from you. All the things you've posted on the cooking board I figure you must be a chef. [smiley=chowtime.gif]

Thanks again for all the tips PM'ed. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

MB_Kevin
07-18-2008, 07:36 AM
One of these days I'm going to head up to Pacifica and fish with you, MB.

I was going to offer that if I could get down there and catch a fish this year myself. * Not sure I would be much help. ;D

ROYAL_FLUSH
07-18-2008, 09:20 PM
HOPE U GET THEM FRANK IF YOUR TALING YOUR BOAT TRY FOR SPME HALIBUT! GOOD LUCK !

Farrier_Frank
07-20-2008, 05:01 AM
I might as well keep the reports on this thread since my striper catching skills don't warrent wasting more ink. ::)

Yesterday I caught the last of the incoming and it was a bust for stripers.... but, thanks to my trusty trout/perch rod, I got into some perch..... God, I love those perch saving me from a total skunk. 8-)

Heading out right now for todays incoming... and hopefully a sriper or a bucket of perch. ::)

FishinRaiders
07-20-2008, 06:26 AM
how does the water/surf look down there..it is nasty up here..Pacifica

Farrier_Frank
07-21-2008, 05:08 AM
how does the water/surf look down there..it is nasty up here..Pacifica

The last two days the water was just fine where I was fishing. I'm surprised you reported the surf being nasty in Pacifica, not that far north of where I was.

The surf may have been pleasant to fish where I was yesterday but the fishing sucked. Again no stripers for anybody on the couple of miles of beach I worked, just a couple of perch. However, one guy landed a 12lb fish nobody had any idea what it was... the head area was flat and triangulated and it had a tail like a shark. Any of you locals know what that was post it up.

I'll be out there next weekend for another try, and then it's back to the mountains 'till the end of August.

ghostfish_slayer
07-21-2008, 07:06 AM
shovel nose shark maybe.. http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/1995/237081863148d5b6ba30500nx2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Farrier_Frank
07-21-2008, 07:32 AM
Bingo, ghostfish, that's the fish. We don't see many of them in the mountains so I had no clue what it was. ::)

On another note I did see one striper yesterday: I had given up throwing lures and baited my surf rod and threw it out there to sit in case a striper happened by while I worked in close for perch. I was wading out to throw the perch rod when only a couple of feet in front of me a striper breached the surface, probably going after crabs or perch... more than likely he was flipping me the bird. [smiley=duh.gif]

FishinRaiders
07-21-2008, 12:08 PM
Actually the water got pretty nice yesterday half way thru the afternoon..amazing cause it is windy at my house..Normally if it is windy back in the valley it is a blow out at the beach

Huge piles of sea lettuce up at the high tide mark

going out tonight to take a look around

ghostfish_slayer
07-21-2008, 12:31 PM
those are also called guitarfish.. i am glad you got to see a striper. i havn't seen one in a while..

Ju5tin40
08-02-2008, 12:27 PM
So i im gunna go see if i can find some stripes this evning any body have any suggestian for monterey bay on were they been?

Toxic_Waste
08-02-2008, 06:50 PM
Hit Manresa State Beach two days last week...didn't get or see any striper action and even the surf perch action was the worst I've ever seen, even in my usual "hot spot." Catch was limited to teeny-tiny perch and a few small sculpins, none which were kept. Disappointing. No other anglers were having any luck, either. Counted more than 200 dogs, though, all different and all in just one day!

Farrier_Frank
08-03-2008, 04:48 AM
Hit Manresa State Beach two days last week...didn't get or see any striper action and even the surf perch action was the worst I've ever seen

Don't feel bad, Toxic Waste, I fished the surf about 5 miles south of Manresa the last two weekends and the results were the same: poor. On my last work trip to the coast, 5 weeks ago, I fished the same area and we couldn't keep them off the hook, including many big, fat perch. This last trip wasn't a bust, but it was disappointing. I talked to the Rangers working the coast and they said it was the same poor fishing all along the coast they were working. The only difference I noticed this trip was the sardines were running strong just off the coast, but I have no clue why, or if, that would make a difference to surf fishing.

Fortunately, I landed a spot on the rockfish research fishing trip with the biologists from Moss Landing Marine Labs last Tuesday, fishing the Point Lobos MPA areas, and that made up for the lack of action on the surf. Twelve of us volunteers boated 414 - ten different species - in 5/6 hours. So I went home to the mountains with a smile on my face.

I'll be back working that area again the end of August thru the first week of September and hopefully the surf action will have picked up by then.

Ju5tin40
08-03-2008, 09:46 AM
Tnx for the replyes guys! I ended up going out to marina and took a Long Walk! i hooked up with a small striper just a few pounds, just put him back and walked back in! got him on a Hopkins jig3 with a white glow in tha dark squid skirt! Not many people out!

Double_D
08-03-2008, 10:23 AM
We all know how difficult it has been to produce fish at the beach this year, I'd like to commend everyone (well,99% of us) ;D for not spot naming and just giving a general location.......nobody can blame the Fish Sniffer for Flaming fishing locations at the beach this year.

Good job people. ;) [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbup.gif]

Toxic_Waste
08-03-2008, 10:59 AM
I am going to have to get a new light bulb for the brain, I guess, as I am not sure if naming a state beach is being too specific. [smiley=lipsrsealed.gif]

MB_Kevin
08-03-2008, 10:48 PM
We all know how difficult it has been to produce fish at the beach this year, I'd like to commend everyone (well,99% of us) ;D for not spot naming and just giving a general location.......nobody can blame the Fish Sniffer for Flaming fishing locations at the beach this year.

Good job people. ;) [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbup.gif]

It is good. It has kept even me off the surf for the most part this year. *I have been really busy at work so I have not had time to make it out there. *If I had seen reports here of people getting fish Im sure I would have had to make time for it. *Im pretty sure it has cut down on the crowds. *When I have gone it has been better! *[smiley=clap.gif]