PDA

View Full Version : Santa Cruz/Watsonville surf report

zio
07-10-2008, 08:37 AM
Thanks to the wildfires, I have the good fortune to be staying at a beach condo somewhere in the vicinity of Sunset/Manresa beaches for the next month. *Thank you State Farm! Our condo is at the far north end, too much of a hike for my lazy arse to walk to that special spot. *Plus, there's no way I can sneak out without the kids in tow. *So I've just been hitting the beach right out the back door. * ;D

Fished yesterday evening (6:30-8pm). *Conditions were great - hardly any wind, very low swells. *But no fish. *No signs of baitfish, either. *The few pelicans & one sea lion looked like they got skunked, too. *

Anyone else having any luck?

(I edited the location, just in case it was too specific, however I'm not sure it's as much of a big deal down this way?)

haps95076
07-11-2008, 06:11 AM
I've only had the luck to be there when someone else hooks up. But nothing on my side.

I witnessed two stripers caught this week one was 16 pounds and the one last night was 42 inches. To make me feel even worse The 42 inch Striper was caught by a girl. Both on live bait 8-)

If you havent found the bait just keep heading up the coast. Theres tons of it here in SC county

zio
07-12-2008, 10:21 AM
Fished the day before yeterday as well, except on the outgoing tide... this time there were at least 2-3 sea lions cruising up & down, and a pod of dolphins too. No good holes within walking distance, so I fished the edge of a rip.

Same thing this morning... there's no wind, the ocean is flat as a lake, there's the same sea lion cruising up & down the beach and trawlers less than a mile off shore. And there's a dude baitfishing right in front of us. He's been there for an hour & so far I havent' seen him hook up anything.

ANyone know what the boats are fishing for? I was thingking sardines/anchovies, but I don't know much about the commercial fisheries in the Monterey bay

Double_D
07-12-2008, 03:57 PM
Thanks for your report....now thats the way to leave a report. ;)

zio
07-14-2008, 09:40 PM
How about that... You'd think that with the Monterey Bay Marine Sanctuary and all the eco nuts, it'd be a little more difficult to get away with that. Speaking of such, I witnessed a huge school of baitfish tonight around 8pm. Hundreds of birds were in a massive feeding frenzy about the size of a football field, moving south about 100 yards from shore. And one of the boats I saw the other night was not far away.

I grabbed my pole & fished a 2 oz Pro Troll Minnow to get out there... only spent a half hour fishing before time to come in & help get the kids in the tub. No fish, though.

So really... no one is catching striper in the Monterey bay?

bigeasy8240
07-17-2008, 12:08 PM
Kcar, how's the fishing been down south for you anyway? :-? Planning on comming down that way this weekend and kind of like a heads-up. Thanks Buddy! 8-)