PDA

View Full Version : Need Tips!

FisherBoats
06-14-2008, 08:16 AM
On how to use a bucktail properly, is it just simple cast it out reel it in? I'm young and willing to learn :) , Would appreciate all the help i can get.

Double_D
06-14-2008, 07:17 PM
On how to use a bucktail properly, is it just simple cast it out reel it in? I'm young and willing to learn *:) , Would appreciate all the help i can get.

Start out by keeping it simple....cast and retrieve.....also vary your speed on the retrive....keep it at 1/2 to 3/4 oz. buck tails.....hope that helped.

ghostfish_slayer
06-14-2008, 08:23 PM
the sweet spot i found on my 9 foot 10-20 steelhead, salmon rod with abu garcia, 15 lb test and 3/4 oz bucktail is when i can reel at a slow steady retrieve just off the bottom, the waves pushing it in, a slight belly in my line with a little load on my rod where it feels like it is gliding in and all i do is reel. the belly stays the same and the bucktail just keeps gliding in. that is when i expect to hook up as i have caught most all my stripers when i am feeling it like that. i just wait to feel that tap tap and set the hook. there is usually no mistaking that tap tap feel either.. you get the feel for it real good at night in the dark. it becomes automatic.. i reel in my tin with bucktails just about the same way.

FisherBoats
06-16-2008, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the tip ;D

norcalkat
06-17-2008, 10:11 AM
hey double D, do you make your own bucktails? or do you end up trimming the wieght off? because the only bucktails i see are 1 oz.

FishinRaiders
06-17-2008, 10:14 AM
They have the bucktails in

1/4 3/8's, 1/2 3/4 1oz 1.5 oz 2oz etc