PDA

View Full Version : Any stripers spotted in the Santa Cruz area yet?

WHYTDVL
03-10-2008, 02:22 AM
Anyone caught or heard of any surf stripers being caught in the santa cruz/capitola area yet? Its getting close to that time.

Double_D
03-10-2008, 06:53 AM
Anyone caught or heard of any surf stripers being caught in the santa cruz/capitola area yet? *Its getting close to that time.

Santa Cruz and all locations south have been getting a nice but small early season bite with nothing over 10 lb's but you will have a hard time having the local Striper fishermen talk about whats going on down there....if you live down there it would be a good idea to be hitting some of you favorite spots right about now. ;) :P

Sin_Coast
03-10-2008, 10:13 AM
I wouldn't say they're back YET...because they never left. Practically all of the beaches between monterey and SC have been producing stripers for the dedicated angler. A friend got a nice 5lber on topwater yesterday and said guys were doing good w/rattle traps too.
So they're out there, just gotta go find em.
Good luck,
PK

blue_chrush
03-13-2008, 03:45 PM
click on this link and see......
and you will be way hard pressed to find out where...
but if you striper fish you may already know where.....

http://www.baysidemarinesc.com/ *

SurfRider8
03-14-2008, 11:30 AM
Would anyone be interested in meeting up this weekend in Santa Cruz or Los Gatos for a day of striper fishing? I am almost done with midterms and need to get out! haha I have tossed a kastmaster off 26th ave a few times after surfing but have had no luck. Anyhow yea if anyone wants a fishing buddy let me know. Lunch on me :)

-Randy

blue_chrush
03-15-2008, 08:47 AM
right now the swells better than the fishing... I"m surfing

Double_D
03-15-2008, 09:01 AM
right now the swells better than the fishing... I"m surfing

I bet your one of those Santa Cruz locals that used to tell me to go get out of the surf zone and go back over the hill and play at Ragging Waters 30 years ago ;D

scfisher831
03-15-2008, 10:51 AM
I bet your one of those Santa Cruz locals that used to tell me to go get out of the surf zone and go back over the hill and play at Ragging Waters 30 years ago ;D
Yes SC locals are very protective of there surfing spots and waves also.Just like the local striper guys here are very MUM on the striper bite also.So are the steelhead guys too *;D ;D ;D.Sorry that happened to you Double_D but thats the pecking order out there. ;)

Double_D
03-15-2008, 11:28 AM
Yes SC locals are very protective of there surfing spots and waves also.Just like the local striper guys here are very MUM on the striper bite also.So are the steelhead guys too *;D ;D ;D.Sorry that happened to you Double_D but thats the pecking order out there. ;)

that's all right....I had no business being out there anyways. ;D

tuna_head
03-19-2008, 04:33 PM
DD give ghostfish a call he has something for you

Double_D
03-19-2008, 06:47 PM
DD give ghostfish a call he has something for you

yeah...I got the 411

zio
04-17-2008, 09:50 AM
Spent an hour after work yesterday at Manresa... nada. I didn't go too far looking for good water, just played with different hardware. Only one other guy within eyesight, and he was fishing for perch. Didn't see any birds, no sea lions... hardly any wind or lettuce, though.

weatherguy
04-25-2008, 05:45 AM
Hi All
Been reading/enjoying your posts for awhile. East coast transplant 7 years ago. Been fishing since age 5 and plenty striper fishing on the east coast. Finally got a bunch of my gear out here along with buying some new toys. Still head to Long Island in September/October for the fall run. It;s epic. Picked up some nice halibut off the beach last year. No stripers. lookiing to hook up with some sharpies for a little advice. Migration patterns, bait runs, effects of water temps. I'm not a spot burner. After all the time learning the basics back east I fell like a total newbie again. Live on the east side SC and will travel to fish. This weekend looks preety good. *Not afraid of the dark. Thanks all.
Lee

A_WET_DEAL
04-25-2008, 02:05 PM
Hey weatherguy

Newbie here too. Zero for seven for stripers from the beach. *:'(

Throwing cripple fish, Kaskmasters, and fish traps.

I have a goal of at least one striper from the beach before the end of the summer.

Fishing rising tides, casting way the f out there and reeling it in.

Anyone know the retrieval techniques for castmasters and cripplefish?

I have tried a straight wind in and also bouncing off the bottom.

weatherguy
04-26-2008, 08:19 AM
4/25 Tossed the bag for zilch at beer can beach. 3-5pm last of the incoming. South wind 10mph and getting stronger, 2-3 foot surf. Talked to one other fellow who was leaving as I ariived. He also struck out. Told me last april was way better for stripers in that area. Maybe a little to early or the fish are thin and always moving. Heading out this morning to see the beach at low tide to check and confirm structure from yesterday. Going for Halibut later at some honey holes in SC
Lee

tuna_head
04-26-2008, 02:42 PM
went to the capitola warf this morning to break in my new 10ft rod that ghostfish made. Made a few casts ended at the end of the warf and saw huge boils, bass everywhere way out of reach so i went home got my pram, back to the beach they moved to potbelly beach. dragged my boat down the road rowed my tail off thohead them off. Second cast in to a monster screeming line off my reel, set my new rod down and rowed, rowed, finally caught up to the big pig it was all tangeled up on this huge kelp ball looked down and could see this monster bass biggest fish ive ever seen started cutting kelp, finally got my hands on this monster fish. just stuck my hand in her mouth and a trebble hook found my middle finger that woke me up so i woke up made coffee and went back to bed maybe next time

mvn831
04-26-2008, 07:47 PM
went to the capitola warf this morning to break in my new 10ft rod that ghostfish made. Made a few casts ended at the end of the warf and saw huge boils, bass everywhere way out of reach so i went home got my pram, back to the beach they moved to potbelly beach. dragged my boat down the road rowed my tail off thohead them off. Second cast in to a monster screeming line off my reel, set my new rod down and rowed, rowed, finally caught up to the big pig it was all tangeled up on this huge kelp ball looked down and could see this monster bass biggest fish ive ever seen started cutting kelp, finally got my hands on this monster fish. just stuck my hand in her mouth and a trebble hook found my middle finger that woke me up so i woke up made coffee and went back to bed maybe next time

Ya got me there. That was a good read.

scfisher831
04-26-2008, 08:09 PM
went to the capitola warf this morning to break in my new 10ft rod that ghostfish made. Made a few casts ended at the end of the warf and saw huge boils, bass everywhere way out of reach so i went home got my pram, back to the beach they moved to potbelly beach. dragged my boat down the road rowed my tail off thohead them off. Second cast in to a monster screeming line off my reel, set my new rod down and rowed, rowed, finally caught up to the big pig it was all tangeled up on this huge kelp ball looked down and could see this monster bass biggest fish ive ever seen started cutting kelp, finally got my hands on this monster fish. just stuck my hand in her mouth and a trebble hook found my middle finger *that woke me up so i woke up made coffee and went back to bed maybe next time

Tuna head...you having fish dreams again ;D ;D ;D.

haps95076
05-06-2008, 08:44 PM
Spotted a group of Strippers on Pacific Ave. But not one striper. i hit zmudowski and beercan and got skunkedddddddddddddddd :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(