PDA

View Full Version : No Salmon season.....what does it mean to us.

Double_D
03-13-2008, 06:35 AM
More fishing pressure on an all ready declining Striper fishery, thats what it means.....this is going to be more important that we don't Spot Burn or Flame and fishing spots at the beach, just give a general location and if you take a photo (and we like fish photo's) *;) make sure you you don't have a back ground that people can see.....

Those of us that fish the beaches all ready know why we don't spot burn or Flame (believe me, I had to learn the hard way :-?) *for instance, you post a report with exact location with a photo's of a spot at the beach where you got lucky and hooked up, the very next day that place will be over run with people.....the beach maybe 5 miles long but the hole or trough the fish were holding in is only 50 yard wide....believe me it gets crowded and the area gets fished out.

When I took the job as moderator on the salt water striper forum Metal Mouth said it would be OK to have a no Spot Burning of Flaming policy( beach striper reports)...the Fish Sniffer is all about fishing reports but because of the sensitive nature of spot burning at the beaches he gave me the OK to implement and in force a no Spot burning policy.

As we get close to the season I'll put up a sticky thread about spot burning for all to read, I won't be hard nosed about if someone lights up a spot, I'll just give a friendly PM about the spot burning policy and probably edit the post.

So I'd like to here from you guys what you think about the Salmon season closing down and how you think it's going effect striper's at the beaches and the no spot burning policy.

GT
03-13-2008, 07:17 AM
No salmon season means more pressure on other species (especially stripers, halibut, and rock fish). Instead of party boaters hauling their clientele to the open ocean, they will be chumming the surf line.

FishinRaiders
03-13-2008, 09:08 AM
The Salmon party boat fleet has to do something else now..Probably fish in the Bay and out at the beaches live bait style..

They will hit the Stripers and Halibut hard..

The commerical guys have it harder..The guys who fish as a year round business will get hit hard..

GT
03-13-2008, 10:46 AM
The commercial guys are SOL and many will be forced out of business. With a crappy economic outlook, record high gas prices (just wait until a barrel of oil reaches $150), property values taking dump, and unemployment rising; we need fishing to get some sanity. We are in dark times folks! I hope there is light soon at the end of this long dark tunnel.

Double_D
03-13-2008, 11:00 AM
The commercial guys are SOL and many will be forced out of business. With a crappy economic outlook, record high gas prices (just wait until a barrel of oil reaches $150), property values taking dump, and unemployment rising; we need fishing to get some sanity. We are in dark times folks! I hope there is light soon at the end of this long dark tunnel.

Commercial fishing guys, I feel for yeah :'( ..........Welcome to my world! :(

blue_chrush
03-13-2008, 03:40 PM
on craigslist this week there are 2 sport fishing boats for sale...
the FURY which was huge on catching leopard sharks, halibut,
sturgeon, and stripers...
and the other one is out of emeryville the DANDY.....
and starting today on craigslist a huge amount of boats
for sale, its starting...... the deals are going to be like
the housing market, its gonna go crazy......

and as for spot burning......
I may have done yours or another one about the perch
north of santa cruz...
when I named the spot it was a 2/3 mile section of beach
that no one ever fishes for perch... and being that perch
move so much I didn't think it was that big of a secret......
to who ever it was I did post I was sorry.....
but with the internet the way it is now days......
giving anything up is scary...
I lost a weekend of sturgeon fishing kinda as I posted
where is was good, the next day 13 boats in an area
where 2 may have been to many.
and also got burned on the mention of some ducks being
taken near the delta, and someone else I told in private let
it out and it was all over the next weekend.....
I have learned that this is a new era we live in with the
computer, and google earth, and such....
word spreads fast.... tooo fast.

Double_D
03-13-2008, 04:28 PM
Hi Blue Crush (Steve) nice to see you posting again. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

FishinRaiders
03-13-2008, 10:46 PM
look at the amount of posts vs number of views

GT
03-14-2008, 11:05 AM
look at the amount of posts vs number of views

That's the reason I will only give out info via pm or personal email; and that's to folks who contribute on the board with posts of 100 or more.

FishinRaiders
03-14-2008, 01:21 PM
The spend spend refi and spend refi spend refi days are over

The only people selling right now are panic sellers, foreclosure, short sale and people who can not afford the payment shock..

Thus the market is going down..

The RE market is taking a huge hit..some parts of Reno are Down 40% from the peak..

There will be lots of pain in the RE market for years to come and lots of people sell the boats and toys..

GT
03-14-2008, 01:39 PM
Itís time for the fortunate ones who saved their rainy day money to go on a spending spree. Deals are to be had for sure! Do farmed salmon businesses trade on the open market? If they do, their stock will rocket due to the salmon closures.

FishinRaiders
03-14-2008, 10:21 PM
I heard earlier today the price of Salmon at the store will hit 20 bucks a pound plus

put_em_back
03-15-2008, 12:53 AM
DD - great way to start the season with breminder about spot burning.

I feel for the commercial guys as last season was pretty dismal.

This will put more pressure on the remaining fish such as stripers, rockfish, and halibut. I pray for a good Albacore year so at least I can catch some fish to eat.

blue_chrush
03-15-2008, 08:52 AM
I heard earlier today the price of Salmon at the store will hit 20 bucks a pound plus

yea, but pink sandabb meat is only 1.99lb...... ;D

Mr._Striper
03-16-2008, 12:07 PM
I think the stripers have no chance now :'(

ghostfish_slayer
03-17-2008, 02:51 PM
i will just go to alaska to get some pink meat....