PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk Accessories

h00kie
02-04-2008, 09:16 AM
I'm in the market for a pair of pliers and would like one that offers a high resistance to corrosion from the salt water. I had a pair of Rapala pliers that I have to retire after two years of abuse. What do you use or recommend?

How about headlamps? I've been using these http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/03/98/00/05/0003980005467_500X500.jpgbut they have a week spot at the pivot point where the wires extends from the battery to the LEDs. Seems after some use, the wiring gets all fouled up and the continuity breaks. Any recommendations?

How about stuff to keep your personal items, camera, cell phone, keys, etc. dry and sand free? I usually use ziplock bags for the wallet, cell and keys. I started to carry my camera inside a waterproof box, wish it was sand proof as well.... What do you use?

I would also like to get some ideas on what type of carry-along tackle boxes or lure pouches you guys use when you hit the surf. I've been trying to minimize the amount of stuff that I bring and limit myself to stuff that I can comfortably carry in my wading jacket. I want to get away from carrying a lure bag altogether if I can. I found small tackle boxes holds bucktails & metal very well. How about plugs, any thoughts?

pinfish
02-04-2008, 01:37 PM
i'm thinking of getting a waterproof digital camera like the vivitar 6200w

h00kie
02-04-2008, 02:03 PM
I've been using a regular Kodak digi and haven't dunked it yet but it is all scratched up from the sand that gets in the waterproof box. *I guess another option is to buy a waterproof camera case but I agree that a waterproof camera is a good way to go. I picked up one of these for my wife last week hoping I can borrow it sometimes ;D
http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/oid/189823/rpem/ccd/jsp/pdt/pricePopup.jsp

ratss427
02-04-2008, 07:59 PM
i am going to check out those l.e.d.lights that clamp on to the bill of baseball caps this season.and,because i don't have the funds to buy the trick van staal pliers.i am going to try some of the heavy duty plastic pliers from B.P.S. :)

MB_Kevin
02-04-2008, 09:49 PM
I've been using a regular Kodak digi and haven't dunked it yet but it is all scratched up from the sand that gets in the waterproof box. *I guess another option is to buy a waterproof camera case but I agree that a waterproof camera is a good way to go. I picked up one of these for my wife last week hoping I can borrow it sometimes ;D
http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/oid/189823/rpem/ccd/jsp/pdt/pricePopup.jsp

Let me know how you like that camera. I have been thinking of getting one of those for freshwater and trips to the pool with my daughter. It can record sound underwater 8-) I like Kodak and recently bought one that was around $500 and I don't really like it. >:( Everything about it is great except only half of the pic turn out nice :-/ I hate to take the time to take pic only to get home and find that the pic you had them pose for didn't turn out. My cheaper Kodak cameras didn't have that problem.

put_em_back
02-04-2008, 10:47 PM
It sounds like you are planning on covering a lot of sand this year. Maybe I'll run into you.

I have Canon SD300 and I bought the waterproof case that goes along with it. I really like the camera for everyday use and with the waterproof case, it can go to the beach with me. The case is a bit big, but I really like the camera.

Others swear by the Petax Optio line of waterproof pictures - its a lot smaller and it doesn't require an extra hard case like mine does.

I've been using the Energizer headlights for the last few years and have 3 models with the 1Watt being the newest. I haven't had problems with any, but hen again I almost never swivel the head. I use them for a lot of other things besides fishing as well so they get a lot of use. With the 1Watt version, don't look at your buddy at night or he might go blind.

I hear that a lot of guys fish the Eveready one and they don't seem to have problems. It also has the red lens.

I have huge pockets in the front of my jacket as well as the back, but I still fish with a waterproof backpack that I really like. I fished one night for about 6 hours and walked 5 or 6 miles and my back was tired so maybe you have the right idea. A buddy of mine shoves stuff down the front of his waders - poppers, buck tails, swim baits...all right down the front. Watching that, I think it would be cool to make a chest pack with 4 or 5 tubes that you could strap in before you pull your waders up.

Surf Hunter has some bags are cool. Have you seen the plug holders that clamp bass plugs to the rod for when you are running? Same idea but larger - large folding pocket with a flexible plastic liner. You could squeeze a couple of plugs in one of those bags.

Homies has tool tubes that are clear with soft plastic caps/ends. The ends can either be removed or you can squeeze the end of the tube and the cap splits and you can pour spoons or bucktails out.

h00kie
02-05-2008, 09:08 AM
I'll have to look into those heavy duty plastic pliers. If they can hold up to the abuse and can remove those hooks effectively, then I think it'd be the way to go. Thanks for the idea ratss247.

MB, I understand the frustration when you end up with blurry photos of some of your most precious moments. There are some good information on the internet to find the optimal settings for your specific camera. Here's a site w/ some info on camera settings to get you started: http://www.picturecorrect.com/photographytips/207/shutter_speed_effects.htm
I started using those pocket-size tripod when taking pictures with the timer mode and it made it a lot easier when taking photos of my catch. I'll let you know how the other camera performs when I get my hands on it.

p_e_b, I'm still running around the sand so I'll run into you sooner or later. I think you did right with the waterproof case idea. Gotta check if I can do the same with my bulky camera.
I found it a lot more convenient and easier on my shoulder when I eliminating the surf bag. With all the availble pockets on the wading jacket, it makes more sense to use 'em to store my stuff. I think the tubes w/ end caps is a good idea. Thanks.

Let's talk sand in your boots.... How about for those of you who wear bootfoot waders, any insights of how to minimize sand from entering your surf booties?

How about those sunglasses? Any recommendation on brands that are scratch-resistant?

GT
02-05-2008, 10:35 AM
Hi Hookie,

Youíre sure looking into buy some gear. *I see you got plans for your tax refund. *As for suggestions on gear, I use a cheapy Leatherman which I clean and oil after every trip. It's done its job for 6 seasons. If I had to replace it, I would buy this: http://www.tackletour.com/reviewleathermanchargeti.html

To solve sand in your booties, get boot-foot waders! Other than that, sandals are another way to go.

For headlamps, I got a cheapy waterproof Rayovac one from Wally World thatís done the job.

For shades, a polarized Maui Jim or Oakley would be my choice. Both are stylish and get the job done.

As for lighting the load due to a surf bag, the only thing that will solve your dilemma is to reduce your inventory. Take one Polaris Popper, one Pencil Popper, two metals (Kastmaster & Micky), and two bucktails. These should be light enough to stuff in your jacket.

Last but not least, your best bet for a waterproof camera is to purchase a slim line version like the Canon SD1000 and get a waterproof case. *The problems with the Olympus SW and Pentax waterproof line is that they are not inspected individually in the factory for their waterproof capabilities. Depending on how good the seal placement is, they will take on moisture and water if submerged. The seals must be changed out periodically depending on element exposure.

Peace Out,
GT

h00kie
02-05-2008, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the input GT.
RE the seal on the SW, I looked 'em over this weekend and they seem to be fine but only a couple of dunking in the water would tell for sure. I'll play it safe and let the MRS put it to use a couple of times in the pool before I start taking my fish pics with it.

I've been thinking about a pair bootfoot wader for my next pair... whenever that is!

BTW, your inventory list pretty much sums up what I carry nowadays but with two additional swimmers. I currently use hook guards on the treble of the plugs but want to find a better way to organize 'em in my wader pockets.

Keep the inputs coming fellas. If you got accessories in mind, let's discuss it. Thanks!

tuna_head
02-05-2008, 04:24 PM
go to your local hardware store and buy schedule 10 pvc pipe any dia. you need to fit your plugs. cut the length you need shove em in your bag keeps all hooks untangeled. as for stocking foot waders use sandels w/velcro and backs on them

MB_Kevin
02-05-2008, 10:03 PM
This might help with the head light question.

Head lamp thread (http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?num=1198862741)

h00kie
02-06-2008, 12:09 PM
Thanks for the link MB.

h00kie
02-06-2008, 12:15 PM
go to your local hardware store and buy schedule 10 pvc pipe any dia. you need to fit your plugs. cut the length you need shove em in your bag keeps all hooks untangeled. as for stocking foot waders use sandels w/velcro and backs on them

Thanks tuna head.
I did the same thing w/ my lure bag last year but used a florescent light bulb tube instead. The tubes did they're job but are thinner and lighter than the pvc pipes.

FishinRaiders
02-06-2008, 05:24 PM
buy these

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?type=product&cmCat=Related_IPL_810156&id= 0033918810155a

you can get them at Sports Authority.

put_em_back
02-06-2008, 11:49 PM
I fished with sandals a few times the last couple of years and on sand they are pretty good. I never had the big pile of sand form under my arch. I had one incident when the fish jumped, thrashed and stuck my big toe with a fin through the neoprene foot. For that reason, I'm thinking about getting sandals with toe guards this year.

If am fishing sand and rocks, I've been using Cabelas Flats Wading boots. They are mostly neoprene so the sand doesn't get a chance to fill the boot. I fished Hodgman surf booties for many years, but they finally wore out. I bought a second pair, but the zipper was in the front and kept opening up no matter what I did. The Cabelas are great.

Bootfoots are the best though. Climbing in and out of waders if you are fishing different spots is a lot easier if you have bootfoots. My next set of waders will be bootfoots.

pinfish
02-07-2008, 08:25 AM
yeah i use those Cabelas flats neoprene boots. it fits tight, the zipper locks in the sand though

h00kie
02-07-2008, 08:44 AM
That's the down side to the zippered neoprene boots, the zipper tends to lock up with sand. I use those gravel guards similar to what FishinRaiders mentioned and it does help to a point. Since there isn't any laces on the booties, the hook doesn't have anything to grab on to so waves will eventually push that gravel guard up and expose the zippers to sand.

Like others do, I carry a 2 gal garden sprayer container to rinse away sand and salt from my equipment. I spray the sand away from the zippers to get around the problem with the zipper locking.

ken_fishnfool
02-08-2008, 04:35 PM
2 things;

#1 TAP Plastics has a varied assortment of thin-walled plastic tubes and caps to fit. The tubes are generally sold in 4 or 6 foot sections, and they will cut to size if asked.

This covers your lure storage.

#2 I have owned and used boot foot neoprene waders and have some food for thought abou them and fishing surf.

I have found that they DO prevent sand build up but, You have to be very careful to get exactly the right size boot. And even then (with 2 pairs of socks) plan on getting blisters if you walk very far in them.
The other issue I had was that you end up more bouyant, and it makes it harder to feel the bottom, and whether the sand has washed out from under your feet.
My $0.01 worth.

MB_Kevin
02-08-2008, 08:16 PM
That is a great Idea Tap plastics will make you what ever you want. Next time I'm in San Mateo I might go do that because the PVC pipe one I made is thick.

I have some breathable waders with the boots build in. I think they are cool for the surf. No sand problems like before. I didn't plan on buying them just put in a bid on Ebay and won. I don't like them for poke polin' because the boots are not as flexible as I like on the rocks.

put_em_back
02-14-2008, 10:31 PM
I was at Costco this evening and saw that they have a headlamp. I think it was 1.6 watts which is a lot, but it had a dimmer feature that I thought was cool and it also had the option to turn on red LED only.

ghostfish_slayer
02-17-2008, 02:36 PM
i am getting lazy.. i just take my surf rod, my fanny pack with a couple poppers, a couple pieces of metal, fold up pliers and a bottle of water to sip on and to rince off my reel if it gets sandy..

Double_D
02-17-2008, 06:00 PM
i am getting lazy.. i just take my surf rod, my fanny pack with a couple poppers, a couple pieces of metal, fold up pliers and a bottle of water to sip on and to rince off my reel if it gets sandy..

Same here..... if I'm fishing with the ''ALPHA MALE'' gear, the plugs (just a couple) and metal I keep in a small surf bag, if I'm fishing the 9' or 10' surf rod I fish just a couple of plugs and metal in an even smaller surf bag.....I don't even bother to put waders on anymore, except at night.

pinfish
02-19-2008, 08:58 AM
i mo git me a water proof fon

cabbagehead
02-19-2008, 04:11 PM
.....I don't even bother to put waders on anymore, except at night.

Hah! This coming from a guy that used to wear waders on the American when it was 110 degrees and you'd hike for miles. I guess you went through too much Gold Bond? [smiley=rotfl2.gif]

Double_D
02-19-2008, 07:25 PM
.....I don't even bother to put waders on anymore, except at night.

Hah! This coming from a guy that used to wear waders on the American when it was 110 degrees and you'd hike for miles. I guess you went through too much Gold Bond? *[smiley=rotfl2.gif]

;D....Hey good buddy, when I fish with you this is what I need to pack along.
http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/2241/im000727up4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)