PDA

View Full Version : Can't get casting down

MV_Sharkie
12-23-2007, 12:25 AM
Hey yall. I got a question for you bombers out there. How do you cast so dang far?

I see some of you guys on the beaches bombing your lures way out into the ocean. I cant seem to cast very far. I use a 11ft M lami surf/jetty stick rated for 2-4 oz lures and unless I'm using a lure that loads up the rod perfectly, i cant chuck my lure out very far.

So my real question is how light can you guys go when fishing with your big rods? Does it matter if your road loads up? Cause I think i'm doing something wrong.
Thanks.

(I'm using a spinning outfit)

MB_Kevin
12-23-2007, 12:40 AM
Are you using braided line. That made a huge difference for me 8-) Also a nice reel helps! But the braided line made me cast probably 2 times as far.

Double_D
12-23-2007, 07:07 AM
MV Sharkie what is the complete name and model number if your rod....also what brand spinning reel and type of line are you using.

MV_Sharkie
12-23-2007, 11:33 AM
im using a diawa emblem 5500 reel, loaded to the max with 20lb mono. *I want to switch to some braided line, but i figure i should use the mono while its still good.

The numbers on the rod are XS 11 MS. *Its from their graphite surf & jetty series. I bought it off ebay and i think it was straight out of the factory so its not custom built or anything like that.

Double_D
12-23-2007, 01:33 PM
You got the right gear for going big.....try 50 lb. braided line(your reel was designed for braid) and try to find the sweet spot(loading your rod up) on your rod with 2 1/2 to 3 oz. metal plug....just like swinging a golf club. let your momentum and your equipment do most of the work for you....hope this helped.

Sportyguy66
12-24-2007, 10:35 PM
Also Remember a Pencil Popper Will cast Way Farther then a Surface Swimming Plug Like a Pikie or Danny

dimpala95
12-26-2007, 06:41 PM
A lot of it has to do with technique. Equipment does make a difference but it's mostly technique. Try to use more of your body when you cast by that I mean not just your arms. You have biiger stronger muscles in your torso than you do in your arms.

Here's what I like to use
http://www.fishermansheadquarters.com/fishfacts/ffpendulumcast.html

Be careful. You'll develope a lot of energy with this casting technique. You will or should use a shock leader. Most people out here on the west coast misuse the term. Here is an explanation of a shock leader.

A shock leader is a leader long enough so that half a dozen wraps of leader remain on the spool up to the moment you release the cast. The knot that joins the leader to the running line comes off the reel and goes through the guides during the cast. If that knot isn't on the spool and under a few wraps of line when you release the cast, it isn't a shock leader. Got that? If the running line's connected to the leader by a knot or barrel swivel that stays outside the tip, it's a leader, but not a shock leader. On a typical Long Island surf rod of ten or eleven feet, a shock leader is twenty feet long. Any longer than twenty feet and you'll disqualify your all-tackle striper record from consideration with the IGFA.

A shock leader protects the leader/line knot from the load of the cast by keeping it on the spool. A knot that's a few wraps down is well insulated from the stress of the cast, which is far more punishing to the knot then anything a fish might do.

The use of a shock leader is necessary when casting with the pendulum cast, a type of sidearm swing that's powered the casting record past 300 yards. Competition rules specify both running line (typically by diameter; twelve pound test is normal) and shock leader (ten pounds' test for each ounce of payload.) Casting competitions are standardized on 150 gr. sinkers, which are about 5[ch65533] oz., and therefore require a 50 lb. shock leader. Use of a shock leader is mandatory when fishing with the pendulum cast, because the peak load comes with the sinker at right angles to the intended direction on release. A snapped line sends the sinker down the beach - very, very fast.

fissssh
01-07-2008, 11:49 AM
Spinning reels will make a long cast easy at first, but the really long distance guys are using modified casting reels. The theory is that there is friction on the edge of a spinning reel spool that increases as the line on the spool gets smaller where as with a conventional reel the line comes off straight and once up to speed is in freespool and relying on precision bearings to reduce friction. Also a well educated thumb helps.

SurfRider8
01-31-2008, 01:53 PM
Hey guys,
I feel like i cannot cast as far either, any tips?
I just bought some new surf fishing gear (what the guy at Fisherman's warehouse in Cupertino suggested for getting me started).

Readings straight off of the rod and reel...

Shakespeare Ugly Stik
BWS 1100 10'00" (3.00m) Action MH (12-30lb. Line)
&
850ssm PENN : ratio- 4.6:1
Its loaded with 20lb. test Berkeley big game if i remember correctly.

Thanks guys.

pinfish
02-01-2008, 08:44 AM
its all about practice, patience, and technique