PDA

View Full Version : Shimano or Daiwa

PlugROCKSTAR
08-13-2005, 07:30 PM
I'm a BIG Shimano Fan, but this is a pretty hard decision for the Surf.

Shimano Stella or Daiwa Saltiga ???

dimpala95
08-13-2005, 07:57 PM
It is personal preference. I prefer a spinning reel when it comes to top water lures. They have a much faster retrieve but it can be done with a conventional, ask Tom. Why not go with a Penn 525mag? They're lighter cast farther and have a better drag than the Saltiga.

Double_D
08-13-2005, 08:22 PM
They are both assume reels..have not seen a Saltega at the surf, we know people that fish the surf with them and they spend half the day worrying about messing the reel up with sand...what you have is fine, you won't catch anymore fish with a Saltega or Stella. :-*

Bassassin
08-13-2005, 08:22 PM
I have to say, I have a number of Daiwa reels and have been really happy with them all. My favorite of my stable is a Daiwa Millionaire CVZ. I bought it in lieu of a Calcutta TE and have been happy I did. Smooth as butter, casts a mile, and a drag that is so strong, yet very smooth. I have two of the Laguna series and one Capricorn and like all three of them. Wish I could give you specifics on the saltiga series, but figured I would just relate my experience with Daiwa reels in general.

PlugROCKSTAR
08-13-2005, 09:23 PM
actually i was just asking cause' my mom is going overseas and she will be coming back with one of them for me. My convetional Surf Rod is still on the works. I beleive it's gonna go on the bench hopefully next week. I have a Calcutta 400TE waiting to get seated on a new stick. Tom hates and doesnt own any spinning gear. I also own a Capricorn- CA4500SA and a TD Sol love em' both.

ghostfish_slayer
08-13-2005, 09:37 PM
i don't like spinning gear either but i am going to build me one to toss poppers..this casting reel with no line guide stuff takes a toll on my hand after working a popper for 7 hours.

PlugROCKSTAR
08-13-2005, 09:53 PM
wonder how well i could work a plug with this ;D Van Staal ;D

http://tackletour.com/images/picquant2006i.jpg

MB_Kevin
08-14-2005, 08:01 PM
I like that reel you had in your pic on that one post. I have the daiwa capricorn 4500 SA and it works good for me. Its my only nice reel. I don't know about casting a conventional. :-/

westcoastdave
08-14-2005, 09:11 PM
916, How about getting a Mitchell Nautil 7500. That's a great reel to use in the saltwater. I know they love them back east. I would'nt want to dunk a Saltiga or a Stella.

Tight Lines, Dave

ghostfish_slayer
08-14-2005, 10:19 PM
i looked at a few reels today.i ended up with the penn 706z on sale for 80 bucks.it is a little big,noisy and reminded me of using the old mitchels.it was a little hard to get used to after using a conventional reel for years but i am getting the hang of it.the hardest part is remembering there is no bail.

stripehype
08-15-2005, 06:11 AM
Quantum PT...best reels for the money!

tomaurand
08-15-2005, 06:21 AM
Hey 916,
Why don't you screw em on a little and go casting all the way? Arn't you getting tired of Shannon outcsating you with your lil spinner yet? ;)

metalmouth
08-15-2005, 06:30 AM
916, I ended up going to the Quantum PT. I found that with the high end Shimano spinning reels, I was having a problem with the bail snapping closed when launching weights bigger than 1.5 0z. This creates a loud popping noise, as what ever you just tried to cast, seeks to attain orbit. If you get a chance to cast them, before you buy them, you're miles ahead. The reel that matches one persons casting style may not match up with the next.

dimpala95
08-15-2005, 07:30 AM
Metalmouth, believe it or not but it wasn't your reel's fault that you send an unretreivable object out to sea. I was actually a matter of torque. When you really let it fly, you tend to twist your hands. This causes your rod/reel to also twist at the end of your cast. This twisting causes your your open bail to turn and hit the bail release point, causing the bail to close. Believe me, it will happen on your Quantum PT also. I've seen it many times. To fix this, after you open your bail, turn the bail/rotor all the way to it's stopping point where it's against the bail trip. This makes it so that the bail/rotor can no longer turn. After your cast, you have to manually close your bail. You don't have the force to close the bail by turning the handle since the rotor was stopped on the bail trip.

metalmouth
08-15-2005, 07:45 AM
Thanks Dimpala, I'm a Shimano nut and have some money in those "hay bailers", spinning reels. It gets pretty bad when your second guessing every cast. It never happens unless I'm really loading up for bear. I'll try opening the bail and moving to the stop. I've never had that problem with the Quantums, but I like my Shimano actions and drags better. Besides, those Shimano's are great looking and everyone seems to give em the eye. :o 8) :o

wading2fish
08-15-2005, 08:06 AM
I'm a BIG Shimano Fan, but this is a pretty hard decision for the Surf.

Shimano Stella or Daiwa Saltiga ???

You're right. That is a hard decision, but, I don't think you can go wrong on this one no matter what you choose. Those are two high end, high quality reels that won't disappoint. You're a Shimano fan, I'm more of a Daiwa fan, so I would go for the Daiwa if I was fortunate enough to have to make that decision.

w2f

wading2fish
08-15-2005, 08:11 AM
Oh yeah,

I almost forgot. 916steelhead, if I was going to spend that kind of money or someone else was going to spend that kind of money on a reel for me, I would go for a Van Staal.

w2f

GT
08-15-2005, 09:15 AM
I’ll make it easy for you 916. Although the Daiwa Saltiga overall is a better reel as per review by the East Coast surf anglers at SOL. I personally would go with the Shimano Stella for the fact that it has a better gear ratio. I’m assuming your going to use the reel to work poppers…the higher gear ratio will help with pick up of line slack. That’s my 2 cents and good luck on your decision. Either way you go, you’ll have a great reel. Since your getting such a high end reel, are you going to mount it on an Arra, Purglas, or Century stick? Come on…why get the best rims and put it on a Pinto. ;)

PlugROCKSTAR
08-15-2005, 10:17 AM
Oh yeah,

I almost forgot. 916steelhead, if I was going to spend that kind of money or someone else was going to spend that kind of money on a reel for me, I would go for a Van Staal.

w2f

NO way in Hell i'd get a Van Staal, after reading all the bad write ups and customer service. Van Staal will be available at your local Wally World soon. Van Snoopy combo ;D

Posted by: tomaurand Posted on: Today at 7:21am

Hey 916,
Why don't you screw em on a little and go casting all the way? Arn't you getting tired of Shannon outcsating you with your lil spinner yet?

it's not a competion between Shan and I Tom ::) OK OK i get jealous everytime i see her cast ;D

dimpala95
08-15-2005, 03:53 PM
I know of a guy who has been waiting for his Van Staal to be returned for "service only". It's been over 2 month's. You can't tell me that Zebco didn't have anything to do with the now crappy service they're giving their customers.

wading2fish
08-15-2005, 03:59 PM
I know of a guy who has been waiting for his Van Staal to be returned for "service only". It's been over 2 month's. You can't tell me that Zebco didn't have anything to do with the now crappy service they're giving their customers.

I agree with Dimpala. Such is the case when companies acquire other companies and a merger takes place. Ensuing chaos often occurs. I think once the dust settles things will improve alot for Van Staal. I have never used a Van Staal but have read great things about them and the east coast boys love their Van Staals. I figured they know what they're talking about, they've been fishing for stripers in the surf before we even had stripers in the surf on the west coast.

w2f

PlugROCKSTAR
08-15-2005, 04:00 PM

my daughter will have her 1st Van Snoopy combo with a VS 300 from Wally World soon ;D