PDA

View Full Version : Finding Striper's in SF Bay?

Mickey_Thomas
07-25-2005, 07:23 AM
Hi Striper guys, since I'm fishing in a Tourney out of Alameda on Aug. 6th, I thought I'd ask you guys what you know about fishing for Striper's in the Bay. The tournament will be for 3 species, Salmon, Halibut, and Striper's. Our team would like to weight in one of each species but our Striper skills are pretty much Nil ??? What I'd like to know is where to fish for them, what do you guys use, etc. It's a one day tourney, and the weigh in is at 3:00pm in Alameda, so we have to be in by 3:00pm at the latest. We plan on an early start out the bay and trying to hook up a Salmon first (hopefully over 20lbs) then we'll target Striper's and Halibut in the Bay till we have to get to the weigh in.... Any advice would be appreciated for sure... ;)

wayneo
07-25-2005, 07:36 AM
What I wood do is try drifting calif city,paradice over by red rock with live bait. Good shot at all 3 fish

Mickey_Thomas
07-25-2005, 08:52 AM
Thanks wayneo, we were thinking about Calif. City for sure, with 400 boats in the tourney I bet it gets crowded over there ::) We've also fished Red Rock a few times but only caught sharks ??? but I know they are there too.

SwimswithFishes
07-25-2005, 07:25 PM
Hey Mickey,
I forgot one. Since you are leaving from Alameda, if you have an outgoing tide, try a drift or two right there at the rockwall and then shoot over to Candlestick. Pretty decent chance of picking up a flattie or two or maybe a striper. Draw a line between Candlestick point and and Oyster Point and set up a drift along there. Worth a try since its close depending on the tides. Big tides building this week (good for stripers/bad for halibut). By Aug 8 should be smaller.
Hope this helps

Double_D
07-25-2005, 07:31 PM
If and when I ever get a boat Swimswithfishes will be the first Fish Sniffer I ask for help and info, he could ride with me anytime. ;)

MB_Kevin
07-25-2005, 09:02 PM
I would try outside around oister point. And over towards candlestick and have seen some nice ones broght in by the genetech building. I think this might be out of the way for your fishing trip but that is where I see most stripers coming from but this is by where I live. we got our 10#er there last year about this time off oister point peir using squid cut into strips. ;)
good luck

put_em_back
07-25-2005, 10:00 PM
First I'll say that I fish mostly the South bay and East bay when inside the Bay and I am not famliar with all the underwater rocks and towers of the GG although I know they hold fish - big fish.

My dad and I fished outside of Oyster Point a few weeks ago and it was pretty good. Like all the other say, fish between the Stick to just south of Oyster Point. I would fish areas between 15 and 25 ft. There have been some reports of stripers in the evenings near the pier at the Stick so they must be somewhere nearby during the day.

Stripers and Halibut love shiners and shiners seem to stay alive longer than chovies. I know that you can buy them from the bait shop at Oyster Point Marina, but maybe you can pick them up from the Alameda side of the Bay. Call the Oyster Point Marina just to make sure that they will have them.

Basically a halibut technique, but I would fish either types of bait using a 3 way swivel with you main line going to one end, a dropper with a snap to make it easy to change weights one the second end and finally a 3 to 6 ft leader your hooks. As for hooks, I like an octopus rigged to slide which would go into the nose of the shiner or chovie. The second hook is a treble that you can put through the back of the bait near the tail OR just leave it trailing behind, but make sure its right above the tail or a little foward.

With basically the same setup, you can troll minnow shaped lures such as Rebels, Bombers and Lucky Craft Pointers with or without a small dodger. Again, this will work for both halibut and stripers. You need to keep adjusting the size of the weight and the length of the dropper to make sure that neither are picking up too much grass or the other weird stuff off of Oyster Point. You can also troll hootchies the same way.

The thing I am not sure about are the DFG regulations on hooks for Salmon INSIDE the bay. Outside the bay, you HAVE to use barbless circle hooks with bait. If you have a salmon in the boat, you MUST continue to fish with the barbless circles hook when fishing bait even if you are fishing for other types of fish. Trolling only requires the hook/hooks (up to 2) be barbless. This is even if you are fishing for other fish than salmon.

So, catching the stripers and halibut FIRST may be a good strategy depending on tides.

The Alameda rockwall is a great place to drift bait for halibut and stripers as is off of the Berkely pier.

Sounds like a fun day to hit the slam ;D

hqly2001
07-28-2005, 02:00 PM
Where is cali city, paradise and red rock anyway? How do i find the location? i fished near the peir on a boat and was snagging weed and kelp elfta nd right.. was i at the wrong side? i was on the side where party boats come out from..

wayneo
07-28-2005, 02:05 PM
Richmond san rafel bridge area right by scott peterson's new home ;D

hqly2001
07-28-2005, 02:09 PM
is it between angel island and the bridge?

SwimswithFishes
07-29-2005, 11:05 AM
Cali city and Paradise Cay are on the Marin side of SF Bay before the Richmond Bridge. Red Rock is the big red rock (island) by the bridge.

SwimswithFishes
07-29-2005, 11:06 AM
Double_D
It would be my pleasure to fish with you.

Mickey_Thomas
08-03-2005, 07:08 AM
Good stuff guys, thanks for all the good info, now it's up to me and my team to go and catch some fish ;D ;Dsniffer's rule 8)

sunracer1957
08-03-2005, 07:39 AM
Hey Mickey thanks for asking all the good questions i need all the help I can get.. ;)

Mickey_Thomas
08-03-2005, 08:01 AM
With all those "ringers" on your boat you don't need any help. quit reading my information, these guys were trying to help me ;D ;D ;D

STURGEONSTOMPER
08-03-2005, 08:05 AM
is it between angel island and the bridge?

Thats where Id try too Mic, drift live bait and youll have a good chance at stripes/butts..Everybody likes butts ;D

sunracer1957
08-03-2005, 08:07 AM
Mickey you know these guys like me best!! your just jelouse :o

Mickey_Thomas
08-03-2005, 08:14 AM
At least they feel sorry for me ;D enough that they gave me some good info, no fair reading it "Sun" ;D ;D

sunracer1957
08-03-2005, 08:29 AM
I didn't look!! honest I DIDN'T

wayneo
08-03-2005, 08:46 AM
You guys might want to try a drift or two around the east brothers light house and then set up on a incomimg tide and start by the sisters and drift along the edge of the deep water on the marin side

Mickey_Thomas
08-03-2005, 09:43 AM
Thanks wayneo, we'll be up for anything as long as we can get back to Alameda for the weigh in, you have to be checked in by 3:00pm or you're out of luck ??? kind of puts a cramp on a all day fishing tourney if you don't get back in time ??? ??? ??? water conditions will be crucial, if it's flat (like the bay will be flat ;D) we can haul ass back if it's windy and choppy it will cut down on how fast we can travel... I won't be doing anything stupid just to get back and weigh in, this is supposed to be fun not something that could kill you ::)

sunracer1957
08-03-2005, 09:52 AM
The reports for Sat are calling for 5-15mph winds in the morning picking up in the afternoon,, So I think if your gona try to get outside the Bay for some of those big Salmon, morning looks like the best bet.

The only draw back to getting Salmon first is having to use barbless the rest of the day

Mickey_Thomas
08-03-2005, 09:57 AM
Hope you guys don't run into me in the fog ;) I'll be pre-fishing Fri. Plan to get a good line out the gate so if it's real foggy in the AM I'll have something to follow. I've been on the bay a few times in Steelheadslayer's boat but my boat is a "Bay Virgin" Sun, will you be going down Fri or are you working?

sunracer1957
08-03-2005, 10:05 AM
I'm driving down early Sat morn,, Chris has been fishing the Bay for quit some time now so I'm sure he can navigate the fog,, be sure to listen to that Radio for our big fish, how bout some side action for the Sniffers who are going down,, anyone game?

Mickey_Thomas
08-03-2005, 10:08 AM
You're gamey enough for all of us ;D

wayneo
08-03-2005, 10:10 AM
The G.G and Fog no rader = no way jose