PDA

View Full Version : What do you Prefer for Surf?

PlugROCKSTAR
07-31-2005, 08:56 PM
Top Water Plug

or

Metal?

I fell for Topwater and thats all i throw out on the Surf when i make it down there to fish ;D ;D

recs1 JBF
07-31-2005, 09:12 PM
I prefer top water lures, but if I'm using a baitcaster it's really hard to keep up with the line. So it's alway's going slack. I prefer using a spinning reel with top water stuff. However I do keep an arsenal of lures in my bag for all situations, metal, wood, swimbaits, fishtraps and the alway's reliable hairraisers. But then again there is nothing like catching a striper on a top water lure ;D ;) , to see the boil, the take down and having the discipline not to set the hook to early.

Double_D
07-31-2005, 09:20 PM
I'm going top water all the way for now on..I like to think that I am a sportsmen and an angler...the two best joy's of surf fishing for Striper's are the take down from a top water plug and then letting that fish go back into the ocean...that is what turns me on about surf fishing. ;)

MB_Kevin
07-31-2005, 09:35 PM
I will prefer top water when I get one on it. :P

For now its just to catch another one any way possible. once I get a couple then I think I will be more picky on how to catch then not just to catch them. ;)

recs1 JBF
07-31-2005, 09:45 PM
I'm going top water all the way for now on..I like to think that I am a sportsmen and an angler...the two best joy's of surf fishing for Striper's are the take down from a top water plug and then letting that fish go back into the ocean...that is what turns me on about surf fishing. ;)

DD I'll see you at Benicia, make sure you bring all that metal you won't be needing anymore for the surf ;D .

Double_D
07-31-2005, 09:48 PM
That is two different thing here pal ;D in Benicia it's all about metal. ;)

recs1 JBF
07-31-2005, 09:50 PM
Read the post DD, I'm talking bout your surf metal for stripers!

GT
07-31-2005, 09:51 PM
Top water plugs get my vote. If fact I got two follows this morning on a winchmaster special but no take. Just seeing the fish try to ambush the plug was worth the trip for me.
Nothing beats poppers but I have no problem throwing tin if distance is needed to get to the fish.

Double_D
07-31-2005, 09:53 PM
Why would I bring surf metal to Benicia..it's late and I'm tired so I may not be getting what you are saying. :P

recs1 JBF
07-31-2005, 09:54 PM
If your not gonna use metal for stripers anymore you might as well give them to me ;D ;D ;D .

Double_D
07-31-2005, 09:55 PM
Top water plugs get my vote. *If fact I got two follows this morning on a winchmaster special but no take. *Just seeing the fish try to ambush the plug was worth the trip for me.
Nothing beats poppers but I have no problem throwing tin if distance is needed to get to the fish.

I'll go along with that. ;)

dimpala95
07-31-2005, 11:06 PM
I thought I had first dibbs on all your unwanted gear? Never mind, you're a Quantum guy and I don't want that pole with the tip that keeps coming off either.;) ;D

I, like the rest of the group, prefers top water action but I'll do what I have to to catch a fish. Don't let your minds wonder, I was talking about throwing other types of lures for the stripers.

MFresh
07-31-2005, 11:13 PM
Why would I bring surf metal to Benicia..it's late and I'm tired so I may not be getting what you are saying. :P
What Recs was trying to say was pack up all your striper lures (anything that doesn't float) and when you get to Benicia give everything ya got to MFresh. ;D ;D ;D

Hey DD why don't you try throwing top water at the Park this year maybe you'll start a trend ;)

tomaurand
08-01-2005, 06:18 AM
Guess what I use................

Heck, I only own two hairraisers that I have had for about 4 years. They have never seen the water. Anyone want them?

Double_D
08-01-2005, 06:48 AM
a harvester will take them ;D

PlugROCKSTAR
08-01-2005, 07:18 AM

you mean people that keeps more than 2 fish in one day :o

ghostfish_slayer
08-01-2005, 07:20 AM
either that or a international

tomaurand
08-01-2005, 07:20 AM

Your right. I think I'll just melt them down and make rockcod jig with them.

ghostfish_slayer
08-01-2005, 07:32 AM
tire shops have a nice lead scrap pile if you pour lead heads.

PlugROCKSTAR
08-01-2005, 07:45 AM
Your right. I think I'll just melt them down and make rockcod jig with them. *
give them to me. i'll make an anchor out of them 8)

tomaurand
08-01-2005, 08:09 AM
give them to me. i'll make an anchor out of them 8)

Not a bad isea 916. consider them yours for an anchor. At least that way I know they won't be responsible for a four kept fish weekend by someone ;)

MFresh
08-01-2005, 10:04 AM
If someone only fished two days outta the week and limited each time, but never kept the fish gave em away to friends, family or whatever. Would you consider them a Harvester or (Poacher)?

Double_D
08-01-2005, 10:09 AM
if they are with in the law then thay are a fishermen.
Two in posession is the law!

MFresh
08-01-2005, 10:16 AM
if they are with in the law then thay are a fishermen.
Two in posession is the law!
DD,
I'm not trying to stir the pot or anything like that, I was just wondering you said someone caught four fish over the weekend and I guess that person is being labeled a poacher, but how do you know that person just didn't give those fish away.

FishinFool408
08-01-2005, 10:17 AM
DD knows everything!! ;D

PlugROCKSTAR
08-01-2005, 10:19 AM
DD,
I'm not trying to stir the pot or anything like that, I was just wondering you said someone caught four fish over the weekend and I guess that person is being labeled a poacher, but how do you know that person just didn't give those fish away.

MFresh- We called it as we saw it. This individual caught and kept 3fish on Saturday when i down there. Tom and I got back at the parking lot and the bragging started :-/ by this one individual.

FishinFool408
08-01-2005, 10:22 AM
Geeze, and I can't even catch one! :-[

Double_D
08-01-2005, 10:27 AM
DD knows everything!! ;D

The only thing I realy know is when it is time to eat!

PlugROCKSTAR
08-01-2005, 10:29 AM

i just gone done eating DD. ;D

FishinFool408
08-01-2005, 10:30 AM

Yeah, you know when it's time to eat and when to paint certain pictures in peoples heads about certain hotties at at Manor pizza! :P I would've taken two orders of her to go!

MFresh
08-01-2005, 10:46 AM
MFresh- We called it as we saw it. This individual caught and kept 3fish on Saturday when i down there. Tom and I got back at the parking lot and the bragging started :-/ by this one individual.

Hey 916steelhead,
Sorry I'm not one to start a great debate or controversy or anything like that but I've had back to back limit days before and always have given them away. I've never kept more than 2 for myself (but hate to be labeled a poacher because of limiting out)
I apologize I didn't know all the facts about what happened last weekend. But I hear ya nothing worse than a harvester that brags!

PlugROCKSTAR
08-01-2005, 11:05 AM
Hey 916steelhead,
Sorry I'm not one to start a great debate or controversy or anything like that but I've had back to back limit days before and always have given them away. *I've never kept more than 2 for myself (but hate to be labeled a poacher because of limiting out)
I apologize I didn't know all the facts about what happened last weekend. *But I hear ya nothing worse than a harvester that brags!

no harm done MFresh. I hope i didn't offend you in any way. I just can't stand people that f!^&ing POACH. I have no respect for people like that.

tomaurand
08-01-2005, 11:11 AM
I don't like starting debates either but, if someone knows they are not going to keep the two fish for themselves to eat, why kill them and give them away? *If someone wants to eat striper they should take the time and money and learn how to do it *like the rest of us. *I have spent many years studying water conditions, tides, fish movement etc to enable me to catch fish. I have shared this kowledge with other people to help them catch fish. *I think everyone has the ability to do it. *Just put in your time. *As they say, "nothing in life is free".
If your giving fish to your friend that is fishing right next to you, that is illegal also and would be labeled as a poacher in the eyes of DFG. *
The only time you can legally share fish when fishing with others is when on a boat.

I just don't understand why more fish can't be released. *It is a very fragile ecosystem and I for one want these fish to be around for my kids and my kids kids etc.

The above is only my humble .02 worth and only reflects my personal opinion.

PlugROCKSTAR
08-01-2005, 11:20 AM
WHY do you guys keep hijacking my threads :'(

Double_D
08-01-2005, 11:24 AM
OK I prefer a gill net over top water and metal. ;D

PlugROCKSTAR
08-01-2005, 11:30 AM
OK I prefer a gill net over top water and metal. ;D

does Rusty Crook carry gill nets ;D Double_D. I might use em' on the American ;D ;D

tomaurand
08-01-2005, 11:37 AM
does Rusty Crook carry gill nets ;D Double_D. I might use em' on the American ;D ;D

I bet they would work great for the salmon and steelhead ;D

PlugROCKSTAR
08-01-2005, 11:38 AM
I bet they would work great for the salmon and steelhead ;D

LMFAO Tom.

GT
08-01-2005, 01:45 PM
Let's all use some TNT poppers if the gill nets are not available at the Rusty Crook.

Double_D
08-01-2005, 05:21 PM
The best gill nets you can get at any army navy store and they have the lettering on them that say CCCP or USSR. ;D...j/k ::)

ghostfish_slayer
08-01-2005, 07:52 PM
you can share them during a bbq..

Lawaia
08-02-2005, 08:32 AM
Bombers or any shallow diving minnows.